£2,000,000 or prison

Fabia999

Visit site
Hey,

just a bit of fun. Not sure if its already been said but:

You have 24/7 access to a par 3 hole for 1 month to hit a hole in one, if you make it you get £2million but if you don't you spend 5 years in prison.

Would you attempt it?

Doodle

Visit site
I've been playing around about 10 yrs
In that time I have had 1x hole in one.
So no, I wouldn't take that bet.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hey,

just a bit of fun. Not sure if its already been said but:

You have 24/7 access to a par 3 hole for 1 month to hit a hole in one, if you make it you get £2million but if you don't you spend 5 years in prison.

Would you attempt it?

I think I wouldn't. Don't only think of the par 3s you've played over the years, but basically every shot into a green... even from 80 or 90 yards. You imagine every full shot you've ever had into a green. Probably over 1,000 shots a year for most regular golfers. What chance randomly of holing one with 1,000+ chances a year. Very close to 0 in 100.

I've holed 2 full shots in my life and both were on winter greens with large holes.

I've also seen the European Tour do videos with tour pros getting a whole day to make it and the only one who has done it was Andy Sullivan. I'm sure 3 or 4 others have tried and failed.

In fact, I not only think I wouldn't, I know I wouldn't.

£2million is nothing compared with 5 years of my life.

Fabia999

Visit site
I think I wouldn't. Don't only think of the par 3s you've played over the years, but basically every shot into a green... even from 80 or 90 yards. You imagine every full shot you've ever had into a green. Probably over 1,000 shots a year for most regular golfers. What chance randomly of holing one with 1,000+ chances a year. Very close to 0 in 100.

I've holed 2 full shots in my life and both were on winter greens with large holes.

I've also seen the European Tour do videos with tour pros getting a whole day to make it and the only one who has done it was Andy Sullivan. I'm sure 3 or 4 others have tried and failed.

In fact, I not only think I wouldn't, I know I wouldn't.

£2million is nothing compared with 5 years of my life.

Would the money change anything if it increased? lets say £5m?

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So odds of an amateur making a hole in one are approximately 12,500 to 1. That assumes normal play, but if you keep playing the exact same hole, it's probably a little less, buit less stick with that number. Also assuming you are not a complete hacker who can't reach the green for example.

Lets attempt this in July and August, better weather, longer days and 62 days in total. At a minimum we need to hit 202 shots a day. Lets say excluding breaks for food, rest etc.. we have 8 hours to do it, we have to hit roughly 25 shots an hour, or close to 1 every 2 minutes. This should be doable. Probably even possible to do double this rate, suggesting the odds are in your favour having 25,000 attempts and a 12,500/1 shot. Theoretically you shoudl take the bet.

In reality it doesn't mean that you'll make it, so you may choose not too, but conditions are in your favour.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would the money change anything if it increased? lets say £5m?
That makes no difference, £2mil is already plenty. You'd have to lessen the penalty to change people's minds, not increase the prize. To me there's no difference between £1mil or £20ml but the difference between one year and five years in jail is massive.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So odds of an amateur making a hole in one are approximately 12,500 to 1. That assumes normal play, but if you keep playing the exact same hole, it's probably a little less, buit less stick with that number. Also assuming you are not a complete hacker who can't reach the green for example.

Lets attempt this in July and August, better weather, longer days and 62 days in total. At a minimum we need to hit 202 shots a day. Lets say excluding breaks for food, rest etc.. we have 8 hours to do it, we have to hit roughly 25 shots an hour, or close to 1 every 2 minutes. This should be doable. Probably even possible to do double this rate, suggesting the odds are in your favour having 25,000 attempts and a 12,500/1 shot. Theoretically you shoudl take the bet.

In reality it doesn't mean that you'll make it, so you may choose not too, but conditions are in your favour.
What you're overlooking is how exponentially worse my shots are going to be after having hit balls for 4, 5, 6 hours.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I think I'd give it a go just to play golf for a month. Am 49 and still not had one and very rarely go 'pin seeking' as I can't chip so yes