£1000 golf treat

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am due to leave my job this summer and will receive a substantial payout. As a treat to myself I want to put aside about £1000 to spend on something golf related. I am happy with my current clubs and the good lady wife doesn’t play so a golf break is out of the question. The only thing I can think of is an electric trolley but this doesn’t seem much of a treat.
Any suggestions on how I can spoil myself?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
as others have said, why is a golf break out of the question??

As a golfer a once in a liftime break to St Andrews... stay in the Old course hotel, you have a couple of games she can go in the spar, you might get a 2 nighter for that;)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t have a close group of golf buddies so would possibly struggle to find playing partners - but imagine there would be no shortage of volunteers on here ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don’t have a close group of golf buddies so would possibly struggle to find playing partners - but imagine there would be no shortage of volunteers on here ?
the old course would pair you up, its all 4 balls pretty much and i meant Spa;) my phone changed it to the well known chain store;)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I played the Old Course my (non-golfing) Mrs was able to walk alongside for the 1st hole, went to the spa in our hotel (Kinettles, fab only a small number of rooms and its a small spa but she had it to herself for the day), then she came back as I was approaching 17 (the Road Hole) and walked the last with me, which is without question one of the most special golf memories I'm likely to have.

St Andrews is a great town and she loved the buzz of the place. If I had £1000 to blow I'd do it on something that would last a lifetime, not a lecky trolley. If the Old Course in winter doesn't float your boat, you could always do a weekend in Paris and leave her do the shops (or Versailles) while you play Le Golf National?

D

Deleted member 21258

Or how about a Golf presentation frame for some of the money, like :-

s-l500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I am due to leave my job this summer and will receive a substantial payout. As a treat to myself I want to put aside about £1000 to spend on something golf related. I am happy with my current clubs and the good lady wife doesn’t play so a golf break is out of the question. The only thing I can think of is an electric trolley but this doesn’t seem much of a treat.
Any suggestions on how I can spoil myself?

You haven't been training your Mrs then? You gotta start doing that.

Mine was walking round golf courses with me almost from day#1 after we met - in fact Sandy Lyle got her understanding and enjoying a bit of golf when we watched his Masters win - and she was good with me playing golf in Sri Lanka on our honeymoon - walking round Nuwara Eliya with me :)

She knows golf is #1 thing I do - and so I'll often try and take some clubs with me when we holiday in UK. Even if I don't have them she's OK with me hiring or borrowing clubs and having a knock and she'll walk round with me enjoying the walk and the countryside.

So go on holiday somewhere nice with lovely courses - make sure you get a really nice hotel that fits her requirements - let her choose the hotel (for my Mrs that has to be somewhere a bit boutiquey with a Spa) - and she'll walk a few rounds with you :)

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I'm sure you'll get volunteers. Failing that do £500 on a trolley and a Laser rangefinder and get some clobber?

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Spend half on a trolley. I had a decent year last year so decided to spend it on a trolley and add some to it. I’ve only used it about 5 times and it’s brilliant. Hoping it’s worth a couple of shots??

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looks like the Old Course is a distinct possibility with a spa for the good lady.
Does anyone know when the bookings open for 2021 as I would prefer a definite tee time rather than chancing the ballot?