Zero Confidence Hitting Irons

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Getting hacked of with my iron play, hitting it good on the range getting but not very far ,get on the course and the swing disintegrates into a lunge at it , no confidence in my irons hate the shafts i was fitted for on the day as i feel there to stiff for me. Hitting fairway after fairway with my drives then collapse. Yes i know its there recommendations but i find there to stiff. Went back to where i got them from and theres nowt they can do .

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dynamic Gold XP115 S300 in Mizuno jpx 850 Forged , there website says for strong swingers and i aint one of them nowadays

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Worth going to an alternative fitter locally, explaining your problems and getting him to make an assessment for you as to whether they are suitable or not.

Ultimately though, you're going to have to find a way of changing your clubs/the shafts to get something you trust

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
how long ago since the fit?

although the SS wouldn't scream stiff. you got a pretty aggressive tempo load through transition with your swing which would be why stiff was recommended over reg.

you remember how many degrees upright the lie was in your club specs?

(as you pretty aggressive from the top, still need to make sure the head is staying back of ball as you start down from the lead foot. right shoulder first move downwards right elbow in front right hip so hands can lead forwards leaning shaft so AoA down, ball first ground second, motion against a planted left foot, that ways you can guard against releasing the angles -right arm right wrist - too early. careful the move from the top doesn't take your upper body & head laterally towards target.)

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I had the same problem with my i25's Steve. I wasn't fitted, but "assumed" that because my previous i15's had been regular steel and had got on with them really well, the i25's would play the same. WRONG!!
They felt absolutely dead in my hands, and I was getting frustrated with hitting good drives and then messing up holes because I had no confidence with my irons.
In my efforts to get some distance back with them I started swaying, with my right shoulder getting over active in my attempts to hit the bloody things. A recipe for disaster as these unwanted movements then found their way into my driving.
I was faced with two options. Change the shafts (too expensive) or sell them quick and swallow my losses. I chose the latter and am now happy with my new clubs.
What's really weird is that I sold the Pings on to a mate of mine, who has a much better swing than me. He went to a Ping fitting and was advised that he was between regular and stiff shafts. On that basis he bought mine off of me but even he finds the shafts dead and is struggling with them.
Maybe a set of incorrectly labelled stiff shafts found their way into my set????
:mad:

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would try and stick with it Steve, it might just be a case of you are not used to those shafts yet.

I find in some cases the SS you have is not always = to the shaft. Take my driver for instance, i don't have a overly quick swing speed and i stumbled across the TP shaft which in theory i should not have the SS to get working, but it goes like a dream .

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do you think you are hitting so well on range but poor on course? If your able to hit them well on range it may be more a confidence thing that a shaft issue.
I do it with my driver, try to nurdle it or steer it and make a mess, go full bore and get much better results but confidence dictates that I don't commit fully when I should.
If you have convinced your self it's the shaft you will never be happy so might be as well changing now before you crack up. Ag fitted me for the mag with s300 shafts my 7 iron averaged 89, maybe some food for thought mate.

DCB

Visit site
That's over a month you've persevered with them now, it's getting deep into your head now. IMO it's time to either get them restarted or trade them in whilst still in good nick and get something better suited shaft wise.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
how long ago since the fit?

although the SS wouldn't scream stiff. you got a pretty aggressive tempo load through transition with your swing which would be why stiff was recommended over reg.

you remember how many degrees upright the lie was in your club specs?

(as you pretty aggressive from the top, still need to make sure the head is staying back of ball as you start down from the lead foot. right shoulder first move downwards right elbow in front right hip so hands can lead forwards leaning shaft so AoA down, ball first ground second, motion against a planted left foot, that ways you can guard against releasing the angles -right arm right wrist - too early. careful the move from the top doesn't take your upper body & head laterally towards target.)

HI Coach thanks for the reply , my clubs are standard length and lie, I've worked hard on my game during the winter having lessons and TPI sessions, I'm just so frustrated with it now, my practise swing is spot on according to my mates both very good players, but put a ball in front of it on the course then it crumbles. DCB your right its a month and its still nagging away ,ill speak to the pro i get my lessons from and see what he says , hopefully he's not got his money man head on and give me honest advice.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you still have the old irons that you could take out for a few rounds again. Might be your hitting them rubbish as well ;)

Without going somewhere else and getting rechecked it is always going to be in that back of your mind. You might just have to bite the bullet and get rid of the shafts and try another combo???

Good luck whatever you decide.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you still have the old irons that you could take out for a few rounds again. Might be your hitting them rubbish as well ;)

Without going somewhere else and getting rechecked it is always going to be in that back of your mind. You might just have to bite the bullet and get rid of the shafts and try another combo???

Good luck whatever you decide.
No mate only got my current set, brain is scrambled with them ( that doesn't take much ). Its so frustrating as my driving has been spot on a nice wee draw into good positions.

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
No mate only got my current set, brain is scrambled with them ( that doesn't take much ). Its so frustrating as my driving has been spot on a nice wee draw into good positions.

Would never go near a mizuno fitter again, the same thing happened to me a few years ago. Fitted for shafts that were far to heavy and stiff. £500 wasted.

G

guest100718

Sounds like you are neve going to be hapopy with the shafts. Id get them reshafted ASAP. you could it your self for under £100 quid.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
SteveK, these TT XP shafts are excellent and getting great reviews. I first came across them in a Callaway Apex Pro set and nearly bought them on the spot as I felt I could do anything with them.

However got fitted and the XP 105 came out best for my 86mph 6 iron (which gets to 90mph with the XP95)

So my thoughts are the XP shaft is the right choice but the 115 is too heavy at 117gms over the XP105 which is 105gms. So the stiff is ok but the weight is too heavy.

Any chance you can demo the JPX 850 head in an XP 105 and XP95 as I think you will see and feel a HUGE difference.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
SteveK, these TT XP shafts are excellent and getting great reviews. I first came across them in a Callaway Apex Pro set and nearly bought them on the spot as I felt I could do anything with them.

However got fitted and the XP 105 came out best for my 86mph 6 iron (which gets to 90mph with the XP95)

So my thoughts are the XP shaft is the right choice but the 115 is too heavy at 117gms over the XP105 which is 105gms. So the stiff is ok but the weight is too heavy.

Any chance you can demo the JPX 850 head in an XP 105 and XP95 as I think you will see and feel a HUGE difference.

I haven't tried another XP shaft CMAC but did try the PX5.5 in the same head,it was much better ,but the cost of reshaffting could be expensive, i know people say use Ebay but I'm not a lover of it .

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I haven't tried another XP shaft CMAC but did try the PX5.5 in the same head,it was much better ,but the cost of reshaffting could be expensive, i know people say use Ebay but I'm not a lover of it .

I know what you mean, I do know someone selling a used 3-PW set of DG Lite R300 shafts pulled from a Mizuno factory fitted set for £40 delivered. Most pro's will fit for about £50 I believe then flog your set of irons on ebay. Just a thought.