Zen Golf Mechanics (Marcus Bell + Robin Matthews-Williams)

Visit site
Infinity boards back at the market for £299 in U.K. and buyers getting package of online group lessons as part of the deal as well as the download video series. It’s not cheap but given what you can spend on products could be decent value if it delivers for your game the way it does in some of the videos.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watched the video where he worked with Liam from Golf Mates and the results are amazing to be honest. Although I tried watching one or two of the other Zen videos and it's very difficult to pay attention for the whole thing, I think he talks a lot of jargon and I start to get bored. Which is a shame because I love the principles and concept of what he's teaching. I totally agree that there's not so much a right and wrong way to swing a club, just needing to find the natural way that works for your body and is repeatable. If I was ever going to get a lesson I would want it to be with someone like this (not going to pay the sort of prices quoted here though).

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't wanna be giving this fella a dozen shots...
"Finding your own blueprint instead of someone else giving you one"
"its the mindset that allows the skillset to organise the mechanics"
"the most important shot in golf is the next one"
"making very fine adjustments, you're tweaking the dial and your tolerances are getting tighter and tighter and tigher"
"so whats going to make the biggest difference then, just getting control over the ball flight?"

I lasted 6 minutes. Boy, the cliches, waffle, and golf swingspeak diarrhia inanities. People pay for that ???

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
"making very fine adjustments, you're tweaking the dial and your tolerances are getting tighter and tighter and tigher"
"so whats going to make the biggest difference then, just getting control over the ball flight?"

I lasted 6 minutes. Boy, the cliches, waffle, and golf swingspeak diarrhia inanities. People pay for that ???

The results are pretty good. It starts to make sense after a while. It’s pretty simple the philosophy. It’s about getting the body to relearn movement patterns according to its own parameters, as opposed to cookie cutter approach or working on individual parts of the swing that only distract and confuse what the body wants to do naturally.

bwstokie

Visit site

Obviously never been at the pits of despair, on the verge of packing the game in, not being able to hit a meaningful shot. One session with Marcus transforms the mind set and gives you the confidence and tools to never go back to that place. You can stick your P1, P2, P3 etc technical shite right where the sun doesn’t shine ?

Visit site
Obviously never been at the pits of despair, on the verge of packing the game in, not being able to hit a meaningful shot. One session with Marcus transforms the mind set and gives you the confidence and tools to never go back to that place. You can stick your P1, P2, P3 etc technical shite right where the sun doesn’t shine ?
You had a lesson with him? I’m very tempted to buy board and get virtual group lessons.

bwstokie

Visit site
You had a lesson with him? I’m very tempted to buy board and get virtual group lessons.
Yep, certainly did. I’ve got the board and accessories and whilst it is expensive I personally think it’s worth it when coupled with the video support. Many may disagree and the methodology won’t suit everyone but for me personally the clear mind/minimal swing thoughts works for me!

Visit site
Whilst the results displayed on YouTube can’t be argued with I must agree with what is been said about the lessons been mainly focused on hitting a draw no matter what. Having been for a lesson myself I came away very disappointed and felt my questions weren’t listed to let alone answered & it created more problems in my game. Also, perhaps if “elite” golfer lessons were published it would give a better insight.
I find it quite ironic and hypocritical that Marcus and Robin in the past were very anti training aids and now apparently his GRF board has reinvented the wheel, despite their been quite a few quality issues with magnets shearing off etc. On some of their more recent YouTube videos it doesn’t look good where they are disrespecting other golf pros, no matter what Robin and Marcus’s opinion are of them airing it in a public platform doesn’t look good.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So we won’t be expecting to see your lesson to make it onto YouTube then? :)

Shame your lesson didn’t go well. Can you pinpoint what it was that went wrong? Did you get on board with his philosophy? Or were you after something different?

I agree on the GRF board thing. I said it here before that it was a bit hypocritical that they slagged off the monetising of a wooden board then they went ahead and monetised it! The last half dozen videos and live sessions have felt like sales pitches.

SJ7

Visit site
New here but came across this thread,

I bought the board and I haven't had much time to play about with it but when I did initially get on it with the disc and swung a few swings on it and then got off it I got a massive different feeling.

I see a few talking about he only teaches a draw type swing... I'm pretty he is teaching in terms of you can change your path however you want so if you want a fade you can just freely change your swing path. Everything else stays the same in the sense of weight shift. He does have a couple of snippets within his videos that show this.

Whilst I do agree with you the price is pretty insane but if it's good it's good, If your game changers around because of the lessons or board then it's a no brainer it just comes down to whether you think it's value or not. Also along with the board you get like a 2 hour video giving you instructions on how to use it properly.

I assume most people want to improve in golf but won't invest in themselves and buy training aids or lessons and even then actually practise what they have learned (I'm guilty of this).

SJ7

Visit site
What I will actually say is you can obviously learn this without the board or his lessons. I think there is enough content on his youtube channel.

Notleadingbythree

Visit site
I had lesson pre lock down,which I enjoyed. £180=3 hours (now £400)
He seems a nice bloke.
However the emphasis is/was finding your natural swing,by body movement....there was zero input on stance,posture,etc. By the end of the lesson I could draw,fade etc but I think there is an emphasis on the draw.
I bought the grf board and have hardly used it...

It's massively overpriced with video support via an app.
I think his current lesson prices are prohibitive but probably driven by market demand and I've gone back to someone more local to me and miles cheaper.
Straight away my stance/posture has improved as has my take away(parallel).... leading to more consistent shots.
I think there's some useful stuff with the zen stuff ,yet others seem.to think it's the best thing since sliced bread...however I'm not totally convinced but he offers something different I suppose so best of luck to him.

Notleadingbythree

Visit site
I can't believe the money he charges and I can't believe people are paying it. I bet he laughs out loud when he checks his bank account. Do people know for that money you can hire Rob Rock?
Yes his prices have rocketed but he's got people who follow Golf mates on it since he posted a video with him,which perhaps provides some perspective on who follows him.
He's fully booked up for months by the way!?

D

Deleted member 15344

I had lesson pre lock down,which I enjoyed. £180=3 hours (now £400)
He seems a nice bloke.
However the emphasis is/was finding your natural swing,by body movement....there was zero input on stance,posture,etc. By the end of the lesson I could draw,fade etc but I think there is an emphasis on the draw.
I bought the grf board and have hardly used it...

It's massively overpriced with video support via an app.
I think his current lesson prices are prohibitive but probably driven by market demand and I've gone back to someone more local to me and miles cheaper.
Straight away my stance/posture has improved as has my take away(parallel).... leading to more consistent shots.
I think there's some useful stuff with the zen stuff ,yet others seem.to think it's the best thing since sliced bread...however I'm not totally convinced but he offers something different I suppose so best of luck to him.

How much !! £400 for 3 hours golf lessons !! How they heck pays that level of money

stevench

Club Champion
Visit site
Had a couple of lessons with him back in the day when it was about £30. Great guy but the philosophy didn't quite gel with me at the time.
To be fair I wanted to go back for a couple of lessons until I saw how much he is charging now :cry:

SJ7

Visit site
@SJ7 how long from ordering the board did it take to arrive mate?
Sorry I missed this but like some else said it took about 6 weeks. I’ve actually put mine up for sell now just because I just don’t really have the time to practice all that much and the nearest range near me is like a hour away. Well my local has one but it’s a shambles.( Mod Edit This is not the place to advertise stuff for sale elsewhere)

Last edited by a moderator:

bwstokie

Visit site
Sorry I missed this but like some else said it took about 6 weeks. I’ve actually put mine up for sell now just because I just don’t really have the time to practice all that much and the nearest range near me is like a hour away. Well my local has one but it’s a shambles.( Mod Edit This is not the place to advertise stuff for sale elsewhere)
I’m the same with my “system” - especially given the time of year I’d just prefer to get on the course. Handicap has come tumbling down and I do occasionally get the board out if I’ve had a round when my timing has been off, it’s excellent for that, but I probably wouldn’t have bought it in hindsight. Think the biggest thing for me has always been minimal swing thoughts and get rid of tension. I’ve been to see Marcus when he charged c£150 for 3 hours, think I’d struggle to pay £400.