Your Strangest member

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can't really think of any apart from a chap at a previous club who became really well known for just walking off on a regular basis. There was a relatively benign first hole and he had been known to take a bogey, throw his toys and just walk off. Incredibly strange for such a good player. I played a full 18 with him once and found him great company , others told me otherwise. Very strange.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very eccentric old German (I think) feller named Wolfgang. Everyone at the club knows Wolfie. He is mental. On club championship day 1 he was having a great round but got a 9 on the last, came back to the clubhouse ranting and raving about 'slow playing c***s' with 'f***ing mickey mouse handicaps' ruining his round! Next morning I came back for my day 2 round and he was stood there looking at the scoreboard pointing at the high end handicappers and still ranting. He's only off 13 himself so he's not exactly a scratch player. He loves talking about himself and every time you see him on course he'll tell you about the amazing putt he just holed for a birdie (seven holes ago or something).

You're probably reading that and thinking he's just a tosser, but because he has that hint of sheer madness it just makes it funny. Hard to describe. You just kind of let him get on with it and laugh when he's gone.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
When I was at Bowood (Wiltshire one) a chap turned up on Saturday morning. He was early 40s , jolly posh, tweed shirt and cords. He had an old canvas bag with a pretty ropey set of irons in it.

He asked if he could us, we agreed. He rolled up the sleeves of his shirt and shot a two under 70, off the medal tees easy as can be. On of the chaps asked if he was interested in joining the scratch team..... of course he wasn't. Saw him a few times thereafter... must have been a ghost! A Shivas Irons!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can't really think of any apart from a chap at a previous club who became really well known for just walking off on a regular basis. There was a relatively benign first hole and he had been known to take a bogey, throw his toys and just walk off. Incredibly strange for such a good player. I played a full 18 with him once and found him great company , others told me otherwise. Very strange.

We used to have a guy like this. Amongst the things I saw and heard.....

Walked off after 6 level par because it was all due to scrambling and not "proper golf".
Went home after a match instead of eating because he couldn't eat with the guy that had just beaten him (badly).
Picked his partners ball up in a BB when he could still score because he "probably" wouldn't be on the card.
Snapped multiple clubs multiple times a la Tincup.

And my personal favourite....

Played the front 9 in -6 gross, then had a bad 10th hole and walked off.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We used to have a guy like this. Amongst the things I saw and heard.....

Walked off after 6 level par because it was all due to scrambling and not "proper golf".
Went home after a match instead of eating because he couldn't eat with the guy that had just beaten him (badly).
Picked his partners ball up in a BB when he could still score because he "probably" wouldn't be on the card.
Snapped multiple clubs multiple times a la Tincup.

And my personal favourite....

Played the front 9 in -6 gross, then had a bad 10th hole and walked off.
If I was like him I never would have finished a round of golf in my life. And I'd have about 2 clubs left in the bag.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe not properly eccentric, but there's an older Asian (Chinese) woman who plays almost every day at one of the courses I use regularly. She usually turns up very late in the day, plays alone, and plays quicker than any person I've ever seen. Including the speed golfers.

Seriously, she just doesn't wait. Ever. If you're on the tee, she'll just tee up beside you and hit in her own time. Without saying a thing. If you're on the fairway, same. The only time she'll wait is if you're putting when she gets to the green (she will have hit into the green even if you're there). Then she just hovers, glaring at you, until the moment your ball goes down. She usually takes her first putt before the pin is back in..

It's like watching a hand-cranked silent movie. Walking super-quickly, stopping just long enough to pull a club and work out whether she needs to hit around or over whoever's in front. As far as I can tell, she's never hit anyone. Just hits around them.

Probably clears 9 holes in 40 mins or so, and 18 in an hour and a half.

Impressive but odd.

bm

Now this is something I'd like to watch.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The one who cracks jokes and yammers all the way around - and seems to have absolutely no self-awareness...not sure if it's to cover his nervousness (though goodness knows why he'd be nervous amongst friends playing in a knock-up) - or whether he just thinks he is the life and soul of the party. Unfortunately I think it is the latter.

Then again - I suppose many might fnd me a little odd and/or irritating when I ask others to move when I am teeing of. Especially when I ask then to stand in the HNSP (yes - sometimes I do that if I find I have to keep asking...:) )

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The one who cracks jokes and yammers all the way around - and seems to have absolutely no self-awareness...not sure if it's to cover his nervousness (though goodness knows why he'd be nervous amongst friends playing in a knock-up) - or whether he just thinks he is the life and soul of the party. Unfortunately I think it is the latter.

Then again - I suppose many might fnd me a little odd and/or irritating when I ask others to move when I am teeing of. Especially when I ask then to stand in the HNSP (yes - sometimes I do that if I find I have to keep asking...:) )
The what??

batchworth

Visit site
hi there
Wolfgang was a member of our club, and I did play with him a few times, and did actually like him and his sense of humour. He didn't mince his words and said what he thought. Two classic examples were:

Playing in a fourball (probably a drawn comp), and he says something regarding the lady members along the line of 'the problem with all the lady members of this club, is they are all ugly munters!'
man he was playing with says 'my wife is a member up here' to which he replied
'then you probably agree with me then!'

another time I heard he was playing with a guy and it came up that this guy was jewish.
Wolfgang said to him 'you probably wouldn't of liked my father'
'why's that?'
'Because he was in the SS'

D

Deleted member 23270

I can think of a few good candidates on here......... :whistle:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
hi there
Wolfgang was a member of our club, and I did play with him a few times, and did actually like him and his sense of humour. He didn't mince his words and said what he thought. Two classic examples were:

Playing in a fourball (probably a drawn comp), and he says something regarding the lady members along the line of 'the problem with all the lady members of this club, is they are all ugly munters!'
man he was playing with says 'my wife is a member up here' to which he replied
'then you probably agree with me then!'

another time I heard he was playing with a guy and it came up that this guy was jewish.
Wolfgang said to him 'you probably wouldn't of liked my father'
'why's that?'
'Because he was in the SS'
Haha, yeah that sounds like the guy! I've not played a round with him yet, I think I'd dread and relish it at the same time!