Your Strangest member

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Oh dear, I do this... :mmm:

You must have some serious trust in your playing partners to be able to walk off ahead of them when they're playing a shot, that or a death wish...

I tend to stand well back or off to the side at least as personally I don't fancy taking a ball to the back of my head... :thup:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
There must be some odd fellas at golf clubs up & down the land. I can think of at least 3 posters in this thread who would qualify in my eyes. Still it seems they have 'stranger' examples :eek:

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't forget it had started in a previous thread that was closed - and that one had been going for ages and ages...
couldn't be arsed to look for that one.

Interestingly enough, my foresomes partner has a theory that anyone crossing the tee box to stand in the HNSP for a right handed golfer, when the entry point is on the other side, is indulging in gamesmanship. he won't tee off with them there, but according to you they are in the HNSP.
Maybe you should start a new thread to educate the newer members? consider it missionary work?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Cheers fellers. I had a look at the first page, might give the rest a miss. :D

It developed into a discussion about the relevance today of the etiquette and the way things were done in the past - and that when playing whether or not we need respect etiquette related wishes of a fellow player in your group - no matter how peculiar or absurd they might seem (assuming that in doing what was asked of you would not be detrimental or potentially harmful to yourself or others)

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Playing in a fourball (probably a drawn comp), and he says something regarding the lady members along the line of 'the problem with all the lady members of this club, is they are all ugly munters!'
man he was playing with says 'my wife is a member up here' to which he replied
'then you probably agree with me then!'

I've just had to take 30 seconds out after reading this. Tickled me. Don't know if I could have stifled a laugh if I was there.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
It developed into a discussion about the relevance today of the etiquette and the way things were done in the past - and that when playing whether or not we need respect etiquette related wishes of a fellow player in your group - no matter how peculiar or absurd they might seem (assuming that in doing what was asked of you would not be detrimental or potentially harmful to yourself or others)
apart from the fact it was never about etiquette, more a fussy interpretation of etiquette.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
When I was at Bowood (Wiltshire one) a chap turned up on Saturday morning. He was early 40s , jolly posh, tweed shirt and cords. He had an old canvas bag with a pretty ropey set of irons in it.

He asked if he could us, we agreed. He rolled up the sleeves of his shirt and shot a two under 70, off the medal tees easy as can be. On of the chaps asked if he was interested in joining the scratch team..... of course he wasn't. Saw him a few times thereafter... must have been a ghost! A Shivas Irons!

Such a good read it became my nickname on here!

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We used to have a guy like this. Amongst the things I saw and heard.....

Walked off after 6 level par because it was all due to scrambling and not "proper golf".
Went home after a match instead of eating because he couldn't eat with the guy that had just beaten him (badly).
Picked his partners ball up in a BB when he could still score because he "probably" wouldn't be on the card.
Snapped multiple clubs multiple times a la Tincup.

And my personal favourite....

Played the front 9 in -6 gross, then had a bad 10th hole and walked off.

This sounds like classic Basil Fawlty :D.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing in a fourball (probably a drawn comp), and he says something regarding the lady members along the line of 'the problem with all the lady members of this club, is they are all ugly munters!'
man he was playing with says 'my wife is a member up here' to which he replied
'then you probably agree with me then!'
'
Speaking as someone who used to be one of the "Ugly Munters" at your Club, that comment was flattering compared to some of his comments about female members...

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was thinking of 2 to start with but list has doubled as I've read the thread.

1. Maybe the guy from the original post came to my place as there's a fella who does exactly that, plays 11 holes (9th isn't close to clubhouse) at 6am every Saturday and Sunday on his own, yes even in the winter - it's been known for him to be seen leaving the course as we're waiting for it to get light enough!

2. We also have one who arrives at the course for an 8am tee time at 5am Saturday and Sunday, what he does for 2-3 hours up there on his own I'll never know. A few weeks ago he was playing a match at 1pm, now you might think he'd be there at 10am (to keep the 3 hour thing consistent) nope he was there at 5am anyway and just hung around for 8hours!

3. Saturday swindle has an email list, so the results are sent round every Saturday afternoon. The guy who normally takes up the roll of sending the email out sends out the most obscure description of the days events and the rest of the group often send in their own translations, I've played with him a number of times and have even been referenced in the email and still had no clue what was going on.

4. The rules guy - never knowingly got a ruling correct - was famous for bringing his own bread to the halfway hut and booking a group holiday and paying the deposit, before finding out if anyone wanted to go.

With hindsight, Yeah, it's probably me that's the strangest!