Your shot of the year so far

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. In a BB open at Sherwood Forest and playing awful. I'd just hit a terrible shot over the back of the green, and across the green of another hole behind ours. It had finished on the far fringe of the wrong green.
After apologising to the group on the other hole (which they were fine about), they were waiting on the next tee so all watching to see what happened next.
I had about 45 yards to go. Thankfully I nipped the ball off the well manicured fringe, it landed 5yds short, bounced 2 or 3 times then stopped dead on the spot about 2' right of the hole. Obviously I didnt milk the applause at all. :eek:

Awesome, Is there a better feeling than hitting a sublime recovery shot in front of an audience expecting you to fudge it up even more?! Bravo Sir!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine's just a drive so a bit boring. You really need to know the hole to understand why - the 7th at Scotscraig.

It has an interesting "feature", a bit of a valley diagonally across the fairway around carry distance off the tee. Left side is totally dead, too far to carry, right has a chance but a narrow target with masses of gorse waiting if you go too far right. Needs to be a long carry even up the right to find the fairway, close to 200 yards, I think.

Smart play is arguably to lay up off the tee but even a good layup leaves about 200 yards to the green. I decided to rip the driver up the right side with (hopefully) a touch of draw. Absolutely flushed the drive, got the perfect shape and was delighted to get over the edge of the dip and see my ball perfectly positioned well up the fairway.

Left myself a gap wedge to the green so the drive must have been about 250 yards.

Then thinned the wedge over the green...... :eek:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Missed par 3 green to the right and 25yds from flag - flag at far side of green on top level of stepped green and situated close to the top of step. Step in green running from 4o'clock to 11'o'clock as I looked at it - I'm having to pitch from bare lie over greenside bunker. Pitched it into the slope of the step not far over bunker; ball runs along and up the slope of the step to eventually get onto top level about 10ft from flag and ball rolled out to 2ft. Didn't miss the putt.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Driver to 15 feet on the 5th at Broadstone. OK it was downwind, rock hard fairway, but is the longest hole I have ever driven.

Drive off the first at Royal County Down wasn't bad, and second shot with a hybrid onto the green equally as good. Three putts that followed for a par were a bit of a downer.:(

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have two from this year.
First was on our 17th. Great tee shot that ran and ran and ran and ran until it was too close to the oak tree that's just off to the left of the fairway. Hit a massive draw (hook) around the tree that was OOB for some of it's flight but turned back in to end up just off the front edge of the green. 165 yard shot with the ball traveling closer to 200 yards!

Second was up at Okehampton in a pro-am. 11th hole after a good drive that hit the slope and ran down under a couple of oak trees ( I love oak trees honest!) and had to play a low, punchy fade under the bows of the trees and run it up towards the green. Again came up a little short but left a chip and putt for an unlikely birdie from where I was.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
A short one for me. Our 3rd green has a wicked slope from back to front and any ball which needs to traverse R to L or vice versa will banana hugely. Anything rolling down the slope will go like a train.

In a foursomes, partner put the ball five feet over the back right of the green. Flag is middle left. We look at the shot then I point at a tuft of grass on the edge of the fringe. "About there should do it". He nods. I chip the ball and, remarkably, land it dead on the tuft. It bounces on, rolls in a graceful 60degree arc some 40ft across the green and drops in with its last half turn. High fives all round . Can't beat that feeling.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Haven't had mine yet, but I'm getting closer to it!
3 times in the last 6 weeks I've been less than a Foot from a hole in one...!
Next time, next time.......

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Last Friday, hit a 290+ yard drive to get on the green and have a chance to putt for an eagle for the first time ever! Walked off with a par which was disappointing.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
13th hole at Trump is a par 3 of about 190yds, playing over a gully, back towards the sea and into the breeze.

I hit a 3iron as well as I can hit it, touch of draw, and stuck it on the left side of the green, just behind the bunker. It was miles from the hole and I didn't make birdie but I was the only one of my fourball to get anywhere near the green and when you're stood on the tee, it looks a small target, so I was well pleased.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
playing in a tie the other night, blocked my 2 hybrid off the 9th tee and put it in one of the two deep fairway bunkers on the right.

128 yards to the flag, with 5 foot of bunker re vetting in front of me.

PW ball forward, steep downswing, caught it perfectly, straight at the flag...

landed about 2 inches short of the cup....... but bounced over the back of the green and hit a sprinkler head and disappeared into the gorse.

Was a good shot, if not a good result:(

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
I have two from this year.
First was on our 17th. Great tee shot that ran and ran and ran and ran until it was too close to the oak tree that's just off to the left of the fairway. Hit a massive draw (hook) around the tree that was OOB for some of it's flight but turned back in to end up just off the front edge of the green. 165 yard shot with the ball traveling closer to 200 yards!

Second was up at Okehampton in a pro-am. 11th hole after a good drive that hit the slope and ran down under a couple of oak trees ( I love oak trees honest!) and had to play a low, punchy fade under the bows of the trees and run it up towards the green. Again came up a little short but left a chip and putt for an unlikely birdie from where I was.

Haha I got myself stuck behind an oak tree last night had to punch draw a 3 iron under and round it. Hit it better than I could have imagined. Was only trying to lay up but finished just short of the green on the S.I. 1 hole.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most pleasing was my 329 yard drive straight down the middle at Hill Barn last week. My Driving has been my main focus this year, working a lot with my coach on flattening my swing and coming into the ball less steep. I still don't get it right all the time, but my driving average has gone up from <200 to 227 in my last 5 rounds, getting 3 out there at 300 yards.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
4 Iron from right hand side of the fairway. Hit the green a couple of feet from the flag, broke to the left and rolled in at dead weight. This was for my first eagle.

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This got me thinking and quite a few sprung to mind and have left me grinning like a fool! :D

I've picked four, but could easily have bored you all with double or triple that number...

1. I was about 160/170 yards from our 6th green after my drive on day one of a two day comp, right side of fairway, first cut. Uphill, hit 5w and put the ball 1' from the hole, holed the putt for the gross birdie!

2. The 10th on the Cheshire at Carden Park. Having slightly miscued my drive, my second left me about 50 yds, uphill, to the pin. Hit my sand wedge to 1ft and holed the putt for the gross par!

3. The 12th at my home club in a ko match. My second left me about 65yds to the pin, but I was under overhanging tree branches. Hit the sw to 3" to take the hole!

4. The 8th at my home club, S.I. 1, another ko match. Chipped in for my first ever gross par on the hole, also won the hole with the chip!

I have to say this is a great thread, really enjoyed reading about everybody else's shots of the year.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
This got me thinking and quite a few sprung to mind and have left me grinning like a fool! :D

I've picked four, but could easily have bored you all with double or triple that number...

1. I was about 160/170 yards from our 6th green after my drive on day one of a two day comp, right side of fairway, first cut. Uphill, hit 5w and put the ball 1' from the hole, holed the putt for the gross birdie!

2. The 10th on the Cheshire at Carden Park. Having slightly miscued my drive, my second left me about 50 yds, uphill, to the pin. Hit my sand wedge to 1ft and holed the putt for the gross par!

3. The 12th at my home club in a ko match. My second left me about 65yds to the pin, but I was under overhanging tree branches. Hit the sw to 3" to take the hole!

4. The 8th at my home club, S.I. 1, another ko match. Chipped in for my first ever gross par on the hole, also won the hole with the chip!

I have to say this is a great thread, really enjoyed reading about everybody else's shots of the year.

Your right about the thread its nice to have some positivity.