Your driver

FELL75

Visit site
My driver was stopping me from breaking 100. I have a swing speed of 100 mph but I could slice the ball 80 yards right.
I reduced my backswing to 30% (75% in reality), used a shorter tee (White Castle instead of pink castle) and moved the ball closer to central in my stance. I now hit 200 yard drives straight with a low to medium ball height. Sometimes I get 230 yards but I know I am leaving a lot of length on the table, but my drives are more consistent and is allowing me to work on my short game which is pants at the moment. I can also play a stinger now which a lot of my pals like and is useful when into a head wind.
I've moved the ball more central in my stance too. I know the usual set up is inside the left heel. Seems to work for me. Not quite sure how/why. Perhaps bobmac might be able to explain why..

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Because normally they try and hit them too hard.
Find out how far you hit your driver with a smooth swing, say 250yds, then try and hit it 250 every time (allowing for wind and slope)

This….!!!!

It’s been commented that I never try to hit my drive, smooth consistent tempo and it’s always on the short stuff.

Going through some swing changes which are mega on irons and hybrids, just got to try and stick with my driver swing and I’m good

D

Deleted member 23344

Hit everything down the middle with my driver today, but on Tuesday it was all over the place. What did I do different today? No idea! It seemed to me that I was doing the same both days, but I obviously wasn’t.

Bassfisher

Visit site
I recently took all of my woods out of my bag and t off with a 4 iron. My t shots we’re getting me into too much trouble, so instead of 230yards I’m 190 but much more often in play! The knock on effect is that with another iron shot I’m left with a pitch to the green rather than very occasionally being on the green, more often I’ll be scrabbling around somewhere.
As I’m new to the game this approach is working but I do feel that it’s just not cricket!

Diamond

Visit site
It is. I thought I'd got rid of it, but it's definitely back!
I have a strong left hand grip that combats my slice but I also experimented with tee heights and found out that the pink tee was not as consistent as the white tee height. The rubber tees at my range I had been using were in fact the white tee height as well. Once I had moved to a lower tee height I then moved the ball back in my stance and found more central meant lower flight but less slice.

Diamond

Visit site
I've moved the ball more central in my stance too. I know the usual set up is inside the left heel. Seems to work for me. Not quite sure how/why. Perhaps bobmac might be able to explain why..
I noticed a lot of the pros don’t have it off there heel and from playing with different people at my club found out some even have the ball in the centre for driver. If my huge slice was high wide and handsome and having the ball more central is a low stinger it makes a little sense that it would also reduce the slice. If nothing else there is less time for my swing to change its swing path.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hit everything down the middle with my driver today, but on Tuesday it was all over the place. What did I do different today? No idea! It seemed to me that I was doing the same both days, but I obviously wasn’t.

This is my frustration, play on a Saturday and I barely see a tree. Play on a Sunday and barely see my playing partners as I'm deep in the undergrowth. No discernible change in the feeling of my swing, strike seems good but the result is night vs day. Fine margins with a driver obviously!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
This is my frustration, play on a Saturday and I barely see a tree. Play on a Sunday and barely see my playing partners as I'm deep in the undergrowth. No discernible change in the feeling of my swing, strike seems good but the result is night vs day. Fine margins with a driver obviously!

Could just be the transition is rushed a touch.
Try and make the first foot of the downswing the same speed as the last foot of the backswing

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've had a mahoosive love/hate relationship with drivers for years.
I got an original Great Big Bertha in '97 and I can honestly say I was a driving God..
Had a short break due to injury and the srrival of The Boy..and lost it.
And I've only had it back for short periods since.
Many a time I've driven with a 3 or even 4 wood.
I've had fittings and they've not really worked, I've fitted myself with, arguably better success.
Had a G410 in the bag for 18 months which is something of a record but that began to annoy me and the magic wore off.
Currently got an old Callaway 815 with a Rogue Silver shaft and it seems to be working...for now.

RichA

Visit site
Having spent the last month teeing off every par 4 and 5 with a "longest drive" mentality and throwing the kitchen sink at it, I've had a bit of discomfort this week from my left rib cage around to my shoulder blade.
Dosed up on paracetamol yesterday, I played determined to just swing slow and steady and concentrate on getting centre strikes.
The result was far fewer wayward drives and negligible loss of distance. A couple actually went further up the fairway than I've ever been.
We didn't keep score, but going back over the round it would probably have been my 2nd best ever score.
It felt like a bit of an epiphany.
I'll probably screw it all tomorrow morning in the comp.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Could just be the transition is rushed a touch.
Try and make the first foot of the downswing the same speed as the last foot of the backswing

This, this and thrice this. I get in a good groove, then I think, "I'll give this a bit more welly!" Which in practice means slow back, then throw the club at it like crazy! Must stop doing that!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You know what I realised was as I got worse with the driver tended to tee it down to try to squeeze one. I started moving it back in my stance from inside the left heel. Worse I got the lower Id tee, the further back it went. I was afraid of the high hook off a tall tee. Incremental movements added up and I didn’t really notice.

It’s all a confidence thing. Now I’m back to teeing it off my left heel and “normal height” I.e. in line with the yellow line on my tee - if not even a touch higher - and let it fly. Fear does things to a swing. None of it good.