York GC or Otley GC

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One for our friends in Yorkshire. I am setting up a mini trip for next year, playing Ilkley and one other course. Otley is nearby and so that is logical. Another option, thrown up by an organiser is York GC as the other course, staying in York itself. Driving to any course is not an issue, they will only be 20 mintues or so away, so it comes down to which 2nd course is nicer, Otley or York. Anyone played either?

I know the other courses in the area, am aware of the grander ones to play, but I am trying to keep the costs down this time. (I'm pre-empting the Pannal, Moortown, Alwoodley suggestions which are correct but not for this trip)

Thanks.

The Fader

Visit site
York GC is nice. Very flat - but that's a feature of most York courses.

It's a bit further afield but have a look at Cleckheaton. Certainly won't break the bank and has a great set of par 3's.

The 5th hole is almost worth the green fee alone.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
One for our friends in Yorkshire. I am setting up a mini trip for next year, playing Ilkley and one other course. Otley is nearby and so that is logical. Another option, thrown up by an organiser is York GC as the other course, staying in York itself. Driving to any course is not an issue, they will only be 20 mintues or so away, so it comes down to which 2nd course is nicer, Otley or York. Anyone played either?

I know the other courses in the area, am aware of the grander ones to play, but I am trying to keep the costs down this time. (I'm pre-empting the Pannal, Moortown, Alwoodley suggestions which are correct but not for this trip)

Thanks.
As said, York is flat as is Fulford which some would say is marginally more interesting than York. IMO Otley has more variation and lovely views.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
York GC is nice. Very flat - but that's a feature of most York courses.

It's a bit further afield but have a look at Cleckheaton. Certainly won't break the bank and has a great set of par 3's.

The 5th hole is almost worth the green fee alone.
Thanks for the tip. I think it would be a little more awkward traffic wise on this occasion but I'll log Cleckheaton away for another time. That can be a different trip, place to stay etc.

Rulefan has confirmed Otley as being worthwhile so an Ilkley/ Otley combo is geographically spot on.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As said, York is flat as is Fulford which some would say is marginally more interesting than York. IMO Otley has more variation and lovely views.
Thanks. I'm pleased you said that. I'd happily do either but variation and views are what I like. It should complement Ilkley nicely

NearHull

Visit site
Can’t say that I’m a fan of Otley. It definitely needs local knowledge, IIRC there a quite a few blind shots with some big surprises.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I would go for Otley. It’s a nice course and a bit more interesting.
Where are you staying? There are quite a few nice courses in that area.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would go for Otley. It’s a nice course and a bit more interesting.
Where are you staying? There are quite a few nice courses in that area.
It looks like we will be staying in Skipton, playing Otley and Ilkley.

I've had a good few trips to play courses in the Harrogate area, covered quite a bit of North Yorkshire as well. I've had a few people over the years recommend Ilkley and so I thought I'd give it a go. Once that is decided it comes down to which other course to throw in. Otley is in the same patch and we haven't played it so that ticks the box.

If there are other good courses in the area, sure there will be, then we can always return and play them another time.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I would have said York rather than Otley but all good fun - playing York in a couple of weeks so will let you know. Another for another trip is Crosland Heath - rarely gets much of a mention but always in good nick and some brilliant holes, loads of variety and would be relatively cheap

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would have said York rather than Otley but all good fun - playing York in a couple of weeks so will let you know. Another for another trip is Crosland Heath - rarely gets much of a mention but always in good nick and some brilliant holes, loads of variety and would be relatively cheap
Never looked at Huddersfield or surrounds so that is an entirely new one. It's a bit further away but I googled it and it looks good, worth the travel. Thanks for the tip.

Please post back about York. Always good to hear different views and how a course stands up at different times of the year as well ?. York as a base, courses to play around there is a very solid trip in itself.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
There are loads of good courses up that way.
Off the top of my head, and in now way an order of preference or quality. I’ve not played up that way for a while.
Skipton
Branshaw
Kieghley
Shipley
Bingly St Ives
Baildon
Hollins Hall
Hawksworth (Bradford Golf Club)
Northcliffe (my old club)

Then there are a lot of North Leeds courses.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are loads of good courses up that way.
Off the top of my head, and in now way an order of preference or quality. I’ve not played up that way for a while.
Skipton
Branshaw
Kieghley
Shipley
Bingly St Ives
Baildon
Hollins Hall
Hawksworth (Bradford Golf Club)
Northcliffe (my old club)

Then there are a lot of North Leeds courses.
Thanks for that list. I've only played Hollins Hall so lots to try out.

I've played a good number of North Leeds courses. Great selection of places, barely a bad one amongst them.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Bradford Golf Club (not in Bradford oddly enough ?) is really nice. Not long but very pretty and not a boring hole on the course.

If you're in York just go play Ganton. Near enough and ?

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd put York well ahead of Otley.... but why not play Scarcroft in N Leeds, in Summer, one of the best value in N Leeds & just behind Alwoodley & Moortown in quality.

EDIT -
I've just seen that you're in Skipton so I'd recommend Bingley St Ives GC ahead of Otley or try The Bradford GC

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Haven't played York so can't comment on that. Otley is really nice. Played it quite a bit as my uncle is a member.

Skipton is also really nice, changed the layout and haven't played since the revamp. Both clubs really welcoming and decent clubhouse/food in both .

Visit site
Living in Bradford, I would have Otley quite a long way down the list. The new Skipton course isn't the greatest, but i would definitely play it if I was staying in Skipton.
Bracken Ghyll isn't bad either. I WAS a member at Hollins Hall, but regrettably it has gone downhill since Britannia took it over. Played there last week, and the bunkers were awful. Rest of the course is OK.
Bradford is excellent, as is St Ives, and Shipley is too.
However, I would have thought Headingley would have been a very good choice if you didn't think Skipton is good enough for you.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Living in Bradford, I would have Otley quite a long way down the list. The new Skipton course isn't the greatest, but i would definitely play it if I was staying in Skipton.
Bracken Ghyll isn't bad either. I WAS a member at Hollins Hall, but regrettably it has gone downhill since Britannia took it over. Played there last week, and the bunkers were awful. Rest of the course is OK.
Bradford is excellent, as is St Ives, and Shipley is too.
However, I would have thought Headingley would have been a very good choice if you didn't think Skipton is good enough for you.

Why would you have Otley down the list? Real shame about Hollins. We played it just after lockdown and it was in great condition but the hotel side of it makes it now feel just like a golf course next to a hotel.

Bradford is quality isn't it. Headingley would top the list, absolute quality.