Yet Another Handicap Question (yet again)

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have recently joined a golf club after a 3 year break,and i was asked to submit 3 cards for H/cap purpose's,as my last H/cap had lapsed in March 2009.
The 3 cards were 82,92 (don't ask) and 81.I've been told that the club won't have to contact the county to adjust my H/capas my Cat1 status has lapsed,and that they will issue my new H/cap based on the 3 cards,but also taking into consideration my old H/cap.
So in a nutshell,my question is,what H/cap am i likely to get ?
Do we have any forummers who are on there clubs H/cap committee ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We need to know the SSS at your course. If it's 72 then you would get a handicap of 9, although they might knock a couple off to take your old handicap into consideration.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We need to know the SSS at your course. If it's 72 then you would get a handicap of 9, although they might knock a couple off to take your old handicap into consideration.

Ummmm,thats a very good question.I'm reasonably sure its 71.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It'll also depend on wheteher there's any big numbers on the card as they'd get adjusted down.

They'd certainly take your old handicap into account, if it's only 3 years old and you've not had any injuries or illnesses severe eenough to affect your current playing ability occur in that time.

If you were low low and had been for awhile, you'd be (un)lucky to get anything above 5 or 6. Otherwise they'd probably take 2 or 3 off your best card seen as they were 80ish anyway (if you'd shot 90's you lose a lot more than 2 or 3 due to your old handicap).

Edit: was 4.9 o.k I think they'd be likely to go 7 maybe 8.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It'll also depend on wheteher there's any big numbers on the card as they'd get adjusted down.

They'd certainly take your old handicap into account, if it's only 3 years old and you've not had any injuries or illnesses severe eenough to affect your current playing ability occur in that time.

If you were low low and had been for awhile, you'd be (un)lucky to get anything above 5 or 6. Otherwise they'd probably take 2 or 3 off your best card seen as they were 80ish anyway (if you'd shot 90's you lose a lot more than 2 or 3 due to your old handicap).

My last active H/cap was 5 (4.9),and i'd been as low as 4 (4.3).
Last card submitted for H/cap was todays comp (81) which contained a quadruple bogey 9,and a double bogey on the front nine.Back nine was a 37 (one over par) 2 bogeys,and a birdie.
I stopped playing in 2008 due to back problems.
The H/cap committee,and Secretary at my new club are aware of my old H/cap,and the reason i stopped playing in 2008.
I don't want to simply make the numbers up in comps,i'd like to think i'd have a fair crack at being competitive with the new H/cap.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Looking at all the evidence I'd guess you will be given 7, maybe 6 if they are in a bad mood. 3 years is not a long time to be away and once playing regularly again you will soon approach your previous standard.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking at all the evidence I'd guess you will be given 7, maybe 6 if they are in a bad mood. 3 years is not a long time to be away and once playing regularly again you will soon approach your previous standard.

I think your on the money with 7,more than one person has suggested the same figure.
Not sure about being able to play to 4 or 5 again anytime soon.I simply don't have the time,or the inclination to take the game as seriously as i did before.I always felt like i was in golfing limbo off 5,no chance of winning any medals or stablefords with so few shots,and not quite tidy enough,to compete with the big boys in scratch strokeplay comps. :(

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site

I think your on the money with 7,more than one person has suggested the same figure.
Not sure about being able to play to 4 or 5 again anytime soon.I simply don't have the time,or the inclination to take the game as seriously as i did before.I always felt like i was in golfing limbo off 5,no chance of winning any medals or stablefords with so few shots,and not quite tidy enough,to compete with the big boys in scratch strokeplay comps. :(

I stopped playing for 5 years and my h/c at the time was 3.4 , when I came back a couple of years ago I whacked 3 cards in and they gave me 12.

Very generous I thought but hey I was spreading it all over the place , my first outing was a friendly with some old geezers and they went straight into the pro shop and said no way should I be off 12 so they chopped me to 10. Anyway it only took a few months over the winter to get back to playing well and all of a sudden i'm back down to 6 then 5 by mid summer. The next year i'm down to 3 again so it doesnt take long to start whacking the scores back in.

I have now given the game up again btw :D

Good luck

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I stopped playing for 5 years and my h/c at the time was 3.4 , when I came back a couple of years ago I whacked 3 cards in and they gave me 12.

Very generous I thought but hey I was spreading it all over the place , my first outing was a friendly with some old geezers and they went straight into the pro shop and said no way should I be off 12 so they chopped me to 10. Anyway it only took a few months over the winter to get back to playing well and all of a sudden i'm back down to 6 then 5 by mid summer. The next year i'm down to 3 again so it doesnt take long to start whacking the scores back in.

I have now given the game up again btw :D

Good luck

To be honest,i'm doing ok'ish off the Tee,but simply have no "feel" when it comes to pitching,chipping,and putting.I'm hoping it'll come back after a few more rounds.
I've realised pretty quickly,that going for the middle of the green, and not taking on tight pins is the safe option for the time being.
I'm thinking i'll get 7,but hoping the committee will be more generous.and consider 8,at least i have more chance of competing,and they have the option to chop me if i was to post a low score.
Cant believe you've stopped playing again,when you seem to be playing well.Whats happened,boredom or injury ?
All the best

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cant believe you've stopped playing again,when you seem to be playing well.Whats happened,boredom or injury ?
All the best

Boredom mostly but I have been suffering more frequent back injuries and this last one has dragged on for 6 weeks or more. It's time to move on to pastures new , I can always come back to it again when i've retired...or not :D