Unique handicap question

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi guys - hoping you can help. I’ve had a search around and it might be a local club rule but maybe someone has had experience with this before.

Back in 2017 I was a member of a club and got a handicap of 15. I only did the cards for marking so I could get a handicap and then never did any comps or handed cards in after that. Just played socially.

I left in 2019 and have rejoined a new club but haven’t had a chance to ask this question yet. I joined with a friend who hasn’t had an official handicap at all.

For convenience it would be handy if I could mark his card for his first 3 rounds and then for him to mark mine after he had a handicap.

Do you think it’s likely we will both have to go out with a member first or if I’m eligible for card marking? As I said - it might be a question for my new club but thought I’d ask for the forums wisdom.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends on the club I think. When I got my first handicap, me and my mate joined a club and the club secretary said we could just mark each other's cards, no problem. He said any 'competant golfer' could do it, whatever that means.. still not sure I qualify for that now. ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As above, it depends on the club. My understanding, pre WHS, so may not be relevant anymore is...
Your handicap has become Inactive, so 3 cards will re-activate it with any adjustments being from your 'current' cap.
You could simultaneously, if allowed, mark your mate's card to get his initial one.
As above, I'm not absolutely certain how a Pre-WHS to WHS conversion works.
All in all, best to get advice from the Club. The Pro should know who to ask, but is unlikely to be that person.

wjemather

Visit site
Hi guys - hoping you can help. I’ve had a search around and it might be a local club rule but maybe someone has had experience with this before.

Back in 2017 I was a member of a club and got a handicap of 15. I only did the cards for marking so I could get a handicap and then never did any comps or handed cards in after that. Just played socially.

I left in 2019 and have rejoined a new club but haven’t had a chance to ask this question yet. I joined with a friend who hasn’t had an official handicap at all.

For convenience it would be handy if I could mark his card for his first 3 rounds and then for him to mark mine after he had a handicap.

Do you think it’s likely we will both have to go out with a member first or if I’m eligible for card marking? As I said - it might be a question for my new club but thought I’d ask for the forums wisdom.
Since you will have had a handicap after 1 January 2018 (the cut-off date for transition to the World Handicap System), your new club should be able to simply reactivate your old handicap by using your old CDH number (if you know it; if not, they should be able to look it up *Edit: I'm pretty sure I have found you on the England Golf system*). There will then be no requirement to put cards in before using it, although there could be restrictions in the terms of any competitions.

A marker simply has to be "a person acceptable to the handicap committee", nothing more. At our club you would certainly be able to mark each others cards without any restriction, but some clubs are different.

Last edited:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Procedure for handicap varies from club to club, especially now with general play scores being encouraged. Need to ask your club. You should also give them your CDH number even though your handicap will have in all likelyhood disappeared from existence

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your old club cleansed their handicap records ( ie deleted all players that were no longer members) as they were asked to do prior to the WHS coming in you may well find that nobody has a record of you. If you kept a record of your CDH number it might be found via that.

Every club sets their own requirements.

wjemather

Visit site
If your old club cleansed their handicap records ( ie deleted all players that were no longer members) as they were asked to do prior to the WHS coming in you may well find that nobody has a record of you. If you kept a record of your CDH number it might be found via that.

Every club sets their own requirements.
Having initially only migrated "current club members", England Golf migrated all CDH records to WHS in early 2021; this included lapsed club members and players without any scores since 1 January 2018.

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks all. I still have my CDH number from my old certificate so I’ve given that to the new club. Will ask what the rules are re marking tomorrow.

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all just thought I'd report back for those who were interested.

My club has confirmed that we can mark each others cards, as it's not quite the old school way of going out with existing members any more. The bad news is that the course isn't playing to the full lengths at the moment due to temporary tees to let the course condition improve so handicap cards aren't counted!