Year end review

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Been rubbish

Haven’t really had the urge to go out on my own like I have in the past. Lots of regular playing partners left the club so social aspect down.

Compounded by playing rubbish at pretty much every decent course I’ve played since April.

Portugal in January. Hoping that rekindles the love.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Went down at bit , then up a bit. Mainly rubbish, played worse round of the year on Sunningdale New in perfect conditions, so fairy miffed. Elbow injury for most of Aug and Sept didnt help....

Mind you, I usually play my best golf in the Autumn, so lets get on with it!

Might have contract extended into next year so early retirement plans are less early than hoped! :)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers bud. It's been a busy one with the arrival of my daughter. Work, baby golf rinse repeat. Havnt been able to play any away days so my home course took a battering.

Congrats on both accounts !!

I've not played away much this year, although saying that I went to Portugal in Jan for a 3 day competition with maxi-tours, did the Sunningdale trip and have managed to squeeze in a opens at Bolton Old Links, Lancaster, Prestbury and Preston. I just wish we'd have a few more qualifiers at our place as i'd have fancied my chances of catching you lol

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Overall the year was a success for me. Our first child was born in April, so I knew that golf would take a back seat and didn't expect to play much. Managed to play a total of 12 comps, 6 missed buffer, 3 in the buffer and 3 below the buffer. So happy with a 50% buffer or better rate. Played well first time out for the year and got my first win, and played well the last two comps of the year for 2 second places. Everything else in between those wasn't great but I enjoyed myself just getting out as comp golf was the only golf I played all year. Had no time for practice or just a few holes.

Started the year at 17.3 and finished at 15.5. Had no handicap goal for the year, but can say that i exceeded expectations. Just wished I lived somewhere where the season didn't really end, I'll still play in the winter but would like the competition to go with it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Congrats on both accounts !!

I've not played away much this year, although saying that I went to Portugal in Jan for a 3 day competition with maxi-tours, did the Sunningdale trip and have managed to squeeze in a opens at Bolton Old Links, Lancaster, Prestbury and Preston. I just wish we'd have a few more qualifiers at our place as i'd have fancied my chances of catching you lol

Few nice away days there.

Our place is saturated with comps. Wed fri sat sun. It's nice to just get out for a friendly round now.

I didnt get out to do my usual solo practice rounds this year. It was straight from the car onto the first tee and try to find the swing and speed of the greens as I went.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A strange year. Played once or twice in January - then from 1st Feb until early June we were travelling and so my golf was limited to a few rounds with hire clubs in NZ and Oz. Since June been struggling with the Lucy Ls and have drifted from 8.3 to 8.7 - whilst at the same time my roll-up handicap - as a result of a single good round - has gone down to 7.4 But lots of evening knocks of a handful of holes by myself - course looking lovely and thoroughly enjoyed the peace that golf by myself of a lovely evening can provide.

For rest of this year - well we'll see. Entered a couple of winter comps and will plough on.

Big changes on the course the last few weeks as we are building new bunkers on five of our holes. They look fabulous - and will present a new challenge for next year when the bunkers are completed. Really looking forward to that.

Siolag

Visit site
Have missed the last few weeks due to myocarditis. Ended up in hospital 2 weeks ago due to it, and was initially told it was a heart attack.

Will be taking it easy the rest of the year, medal season is over after Saturday as far as I know. I’m pleased with my first year of golf club membership and also playing the game. Will be back next season aiming to get handicap into the 20s.

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wanted to get down from 22 to 18.

Went up to 23 :ROFLMAO:

I'm a much better player than last year, just can't do it in comps :unsure:

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Started playing around July 2018.

Main goal this year was to fix my driver slice and to break 100.

Missed January - August with a back injury (had 2/3 rounds in the middle).

Finding around 60-70% fairways and my last 2 rounds have been 98 and 95.

Have to consider it a success despite the injury.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I guess I have to say this year was a success.

I started the year playing off 10 and the immediate goal was to get to single figures. Yet just before the golf season I got a bad case of the hozzle rockets and confidence was at an all time low. Swing felt all over the place and had a different swing shot to shot.

After quite a bit of hard work I managed to groove a swing albeit a bad one but I managed to get the ball round the course and got down to 9.

After a few lessons I got rid of a few bad habits and got down to 8, which quickly went back up to 9.

I finished the season playing some of the worst golf I have in years but im not surprised, i never felt comfortable all year and kept trying new things as everything stopped working.

Finished the year at 8.6 which I am happy with despite all the negative thoughts.