Xmas present - New irons!

jak kez 187

Head Pro
Visit site
Went to try out a few sets of irons for my xmas present yesterday at the 3 hammers in Wolverhampton.
Was using the Wilson d-fy set, great beginner clubs (which I was last year), but the 5-6 irons were horrible and really letting my game down, if you saw the set of clubs you would see why, totally different shape to the rest of the clubs.

Got measured - standard lie and length, swing speed suited regular shafts.
Tried Taylormade speedblades, titliest ap1 and mizuno jpx825
All really nice clubs. In the end came away with the mizuno's with the dynamic gold r300 shafts.

Speedblades absolutely fired off the club face, ball does go a long way, but the shafts are a bit longer than standard (nearly an inch longer on the 4 irons) so found them quite hard to get a consistent strike.

AP1 714's were lovely, kind of regret not getting them now, felt lovely off the club face but lacked a bit of distance on the mizunos.

Mizunos also felt nice, got a lovely ball flight on well struck shots, even hit a nice 6 iron about 170 which is long for me (usually about 155-60). Even poor shots were just falling short of 150 so very forgiving.

Tbh there was not a lot between any of the clubs, so if you are looking for game improvement irons all 3 would be a great choice.

Overall i'm pretty happy! Just need to find a day when we actually have decent weather to get out on the course! :clap:

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice one fella, hope they work for you!

Having an iron fitting myself tomorrow, JPXs on my list to try out. AP1s would be nice, but probably a bit too steep for me.

jak kez 187

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeh the jpx 825 were a reasonable price, got 4-pw for just under 450.
The AP1's do play great tho, could always try the 712's out, doubt there would be too much difference.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I had a fitting yesterday at Mizuno's national fitting centre at Burhill GC. Was a really interesting experience and ended up testing the JPX EZ (Cast and Forged), JPX 825 and 825 Pro.

Came away with the EZ Forged, can't wait until they arrive in Jan!!

Chris1980

Head Pro
Visit site
Went to try out a few sets of irons for my xmas present yesterday at the 3 hammers in Wolverhampton.
Was using the Wilson d-fy set, great beginner clubs (which I was last year), but the 5-6 irons were horrible and really letting my game down, if you saw the set of clubs you would see why, totally different shape to the rest of the clubs.

Got measured - standard lie and length, swing speed suited regular shafts.
Tried Taylormade speedblades, titliest ap1 and mizuno jpx825
All really nice clubs. In the end came away with the mizuno's with the dynamic gold r300 shafts.

Speedblades absolutely fired off the club face, ball does go a long way, but the shafts are a bit longer than standard (nearly an inch longer on the 4 irons) so found them quite hard to get a consistent strike.

AP1 714's were lovely, kind of regret not getting them now, felt lovely off the club face but lacked a bit of distance on the mizunos.

Mizunos also felt nice, got a lovely ball flight on well struck shots, even hit a nice 6 iron about 170 which is long for me (usually about 155-60). Even poor shots were just falling short of 150 so very forgiving.

Tbh there was not a lot between any of the clubs, so if you are looking for game improvement irons all 3 would be a great choice.

Overall i'm pretty happy! Just need to find a day when we actually have decent weather to get out on the course! :clap:

Tried the 825 pro's when buying my new irons earlier in the year but just cudnt miss with the i20's. Did u go for the 825 pro's?

jak kez 187

Head Pro
Visit site
Tried the 825 pro's when buying my new irons earlier in the year but just cudnt miss with the i20's. Did u go for the 825 pro's?

Just went for the 825's in the end, not the pro's
Didn't really consider the pro's because I liked the look of the 825's and didn't feel the need to go for a less forgiving iron. Being a high handicapper I thought i'd go for as much help as possible haha.

glynntaylor

Head Pro
Visit site
Must say the AG team at 3 Hammers are really good. Always very helpful and will assist in getting the best price. Customer service second to none.

D4RK1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Congrats on the new weapons. It's a nice range at 3 hammers. Would like to try the little par 3 course they have. Looks lovely. I recently picked up my Callaway driver from them. Wa happy with the service I received.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 825's are a little stronger on lofts, so that's probably why you go as light increase in yardages compared to the Titleist.

Btw the speedblades are 38.875 in the 4 iron compared to the 825 at 38.35 and the 714 AP1 at 38.5 ... so not really an inch longer ( although the lofts are stronger)

Must have been nice to walk out with new clubs off the shelf, doesn't happen often so you get the benefit of having them straight away :)

jak kez 187

Head Pro
Visit site
Congrats on the new weapons. It's a nice range at 3 hammers. Would like to try the little par 3 course they have. Looks lovely. I recently picked up my Callaway driver from them. Wa happy with the service I received.

Yeh the range is really nice and the par 3 course is great for a quick 1-2 hour round. Only need to take a few clubs as well as the longest hole is about 120 yards i think, and the smallest is only 45! Just took my 9 iron, wedges and putter when I went late time In a little pencil bag.

Really good short game practise with some tricky bunkers as well.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
jak kez 187....sounds like you got a good deal for yourself,wish you all the best in using them in the coming season!
I,mlucky in that SWMBO and I went to the pro shop yesterday and paid for my new shineys...Wilson D100s
1/2" shorter+2% flatter lie,Scotts also going to swap my bright orange grips over to the newbies.
Bring on the new season!!!Could be playing The Carrick on 27th but won,t have the new ones so will need
to use the D17s!