Wrotham Heath

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its Ok. Kent is not blessed with great courses tbh (although that may change when Chart Hills is ready). In that immediate area, its better than West malling and is a members course. I find its the members rather than the course that make the experience of being a member worthwhile so give it a go.

Royal St George’s
Deal
Princes
Littlestone
London Club x2
Knole Park
Wildernesse
Rochester & Cobham
Chart Hills

All in Kent and some not very far from Wrotham at all!!

brfcfan

Visit site
He obviously knows the area well:rolleyes:
Add to the list, Kingshill, Mid Kent and many others that obviously he doesn't consider:)

Are you guys for real? You need to get out more if you think some of those are great courses, Kings Hill and Mid Kent lol. Knole Park is a better walk than a golf course. Deal is the most overrated course I have ever played, Wildernesse is certainly not great and Littlestone looks very tired given the upgrade at the fantastic Princes courses.

I think you all misunderstood my post, not blessed with great course doesn't mean there aren't any, it means comparable to how many courses we have in Kent we dont have many that I would consider great unlike Sussex, Surrey, Hants or Berks. I also doubt many of the above courses are on the gentlemans short list if he is considering Wrotham Heath :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 15344

Are you guys for real? You need to get out more if you think some of those are great courses, Kings Hill and Mid Kent lol. Knole Park is a better walk than a golf course. Deal is the most overrated course I have ever played, Wildernesse is certainly not great and Littlestone looks very tired given the upgrade at the fantastic Princes courses.

I think you all misunderstood my post, not blessed with great course doesn't mean there aren't any, it means comparable to how many courses we have in Kent we dont have many that I would consider great unlike Sussex, Surrey, Hants or Berks. I also doubt many of the above courses are on the gentlemans short list if he is considering Wrotham Heath :rolleyes:
? - sorry but what ?!?

For many it’s one of the most underrated golf courses in the UK , it’s a stunning golf course and for some better to play than it’s neighbour . It’s in the top 100 in the world

Littlestone is another excellent links course

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
? - sorry but what ?!?

For many it’s one of the most underrated golf courses in the UK , it’s a stunning golf course and for some better to play than it’s neighbour . It’s in the top 100 in the world

Littlestone is another excellent links course

am I right in thinking Deal is RCP? If so, I prefer it to RSG

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Sussex has only has two decent courses, of which one is virtually in Kent and the rest are pony.

Hampshire has less than a handful, of which the best is in the Channel Islands.

Surrey is blessed but Berkshire doesn’t actually have that many.

Pjwgov

Hacker
Visit site
I was thinking Wrotham heath as an option to where I play now, which is Hever. Purely on all year round golf. Hever unfortunately seems to be getting worse each winter and I am losing about 4months. Kings Hill is a great winter track, but does not inspire we.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sussex has only has two decent courses, of which one is virtually in Kent and the rest are pony.

Hampshire has less than a handful, of which the best is in the Channel Islands.

Surrey is blessed but Berkshire doesn’t actually have that many.

Depends on what criteria you are looking

Sussex doesn’t have many but you can surely add Royal Ashdown , Piltdown , Crowborough and Goodwood to the two obvious ones

Hampshire- best in channels isle ? Liphook , Blackmoor , Hayling , Brokenhurst Manor , North Hants plus the couple on the channel isles

Berkshire prob 6 top courses - Swinley , both The Berkshires , East Berks , Sonning , Bearwood Lakes

Surrey is the one county blessed with a significant amount more than many other counties in England

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was thinking Wrotham heath as an option to where I play now, which is Hever. Purely on all year round golf. Hever unfortunately seems to be getting worse each winter and I am losing about 4months. Kings Hill is a great winter track, but does not inspire we.
I think most in Kent have lost playing time over the last few winters and that includes those on the coast.
I knwo at ours we have done a lot on the greens and fairways to help drainage and growth and it is working, but when nature decides to monsoon you there is nothing you can do but take it on the chin. How quickly it recovers would be more of a judge for me and how well the greens stand up.
I suppose though travelling distance and fees will have a bearing as well.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I think kent has some great courses, whether you or I like a course has little relevance to its greatness. Objectively, I’d hope that even if you don’t like deal you can see why others think it’s great? Knole is a nice course, not sure it would command the prices it does if it weren’t in Sevenoaks though!

My view on golf in Kent is that although there are some lovely courses, there are far too many that don’t offer good enough value for money. I understand economics though so I get that it’s a case of supply and demand, but places like Nizels (£2k and a fairly average track that’s closed a lot of winter), Hever (nice but quite pricey), Kings Hill (£1,600 or so) if you can only play once a week aren’t great value - this is the case all over the south east though really, it’s not just kent.

I enjoy all of the courses I’ve mentioned there, but I couldn’t justify going over £100 / £120 a month so I’m not a member at any of them.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know the pro there so.can ask about winter play if you like ?

gopher99

Visit site
Don’t forget about the stunning tracks that are Cobtree Manor, Cray Valley, Chelsfield Lakes. All pretty high up on a bucket list to play?. I am currently a member at Nizels and we lost 3 months at least last winter.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don’t forget about the stunning tracks that are Cobtree Manor, Cray Valley, Chelsfield Lakes. All pretty high up on a bucket list to play?. I am currently a member at Nizels and we lost 3 months at least last winter.

Im hoping to play at Nizel’s tomorrow, but I’m not feeling very hopeful about it being open. Closed today and not that likely to dry significantly before tomorrow....

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Meanwhile, in the real world I have just paid my £770 fee for the year, and we'll take anyone.

You can go right off people very quickly. £770 round south east London doesn’t get a decent flexi membership. £1500 gets you a 7 day but at courses which are flooded with p&p at weekends also. Need to be looking £1700 upwards for a members club!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can go right off people very quickly. £770 round south east London doesn’t get a decent flexi membership. £1500 gets you a 7 day but at courses which are flooded with p&p at weekends also. Need to be looking £1700 upwards for a members club!
Not neccessarily....I pay £1165 for 7 day. We limit societies and currently no guests or visitors:)