Wrong green ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We were playing a friendly 3 ball today and we had a temporary green on the par 3 5th. The temporary green was on the apron at the front of the main green and I put my ball on the main green. Now I know it's a penalty if i play off the main green it being a "wrong green" so I dropped on the fringe, now if i had chosen to putt to the hole i would have needed to putt back on to the main green at some stage on it's way down to stand any chance of holing the putt. In the case in question i chipped from the fringe directly on to the temp but would I gave been penalised had I at any stage putted my ball from the fringe and on and then off the main green ?

YandaB

Visit site
We were playing a friendly 3 ball today and we had a temporary green on the par 3 5th. The temporary green was on the apron at the front of the main green and I put my ball on the main green. Now I know it's a penalty if i play off the main green it being a "wrong green" so I dropped on the fringe, now if i had chosen to putt to the hole i would have needed to putt back on to the main green at some stage on it's way down to stand any chance of holing the putt. In the case in question i chipped from the fringe directly on to the temp but would I gave been penalised had I at any stage putted my ball from the fringe and on and then off the main green ?
If you had pitched onto the main green and spun it back to the temp green, would you have penalised yourself?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is no prohibition in playing a ball onto or over a wrong green. The only prohibition is playing from a wrong green.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Anyone else but you - no penalty.