Would you miss Mickelson?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
If we’ve seen the last of him on the PGA Tour would you miss him? I probably enjoyed his PGA win last year as much as any major for decades but wouldn’t say I’m a big fan. Find him more fascinating than any other golfer and more aloof than all of them put together.

Before the 2013 Open he brightened up a very dull Wednesday by signing off with this..

Consecutive wins are pretty hard. You've done it four times. After winning the first week, can you talk about the pressures of winning the next week.
PHIL MICKELSON: No, it's difficult. I mean, it's difficult to win the week before a Major and then follow it up winning the Major. But then again the last person to do it, you're looking at him (laughter).

It was one of the cockiest things I’ve ever seen, then he won it

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Used to be my favourite player. Mainly due to the ultra offensive golf he used to play.

However as he’s got older he’s turned into a right Nozzer.

So no

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
He’s done a lot for the world of golf and did a lot of interacting with fans when at Castle Stuart for the Scottish Open (My own personal experience) and seems a genuinely nice guy.
But……
I think he’s made a massive error with this Saudi Arabia golf tour, people will probably remember him more for this than all the good he’s done for the game, which is a shame.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I really like him. He's a character, the more of them the better if you ask me. Love seeing his latest 64° flop shot, or smashing the driver on holes he has no business doing so. Even when he's not been as a competitive, he has this real air of not caring and playing golf the way he enjoys it rather than what works - and I respect that.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes .
In an era of robotic golfers he at least was a proper shotmaker.
Past his prime but still good to watch.
Off the course not so much ,but he’s entitled to his opinion.
If everyone agreed with the tour officials it would be very boring.
But if you cross your “ employers” as such there are penalties.
He is marmite though .

D

Deleted member 15344

Nope - find him false as a person

Will miss some of his golf shots though

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Not a fan at all, so no. I know a couple of people who have spent time in the States in and around the Tour through their jobs in the game, and they are both firmly of the view that, despite the affable air that he portrays, Mickelson is a genuinely unpleasant individual.

He’s not the draw that Woods is. Nowhere near. And I’m not a fan of Tiger, either. But I’d far rather watch him than Mickelson.

The Fader

Visit site
Ask that question 5 years ago - it's a resounding yes!

Now, as he's got older (and bitter) his character flaws surface all too easily so it's a big NO for me

Hanging Tom Watson out to dry
Hitting a moving ball
Moaning Paris National is too tough
Slagging the PGA tour when they've delivered him wealth beyond comprehension to mere mortals
Biting the hand of his potential new employers before he's even hit a ball

Don't let the exit door hit you on the backside Phil. He and Greg Norman are well suited.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
If we’ve seen the last of him on the PGA Tour would you miss him? I probably enjoyed his PGA win last year as much as any major for decades but wouldn’t say I’m a big fan. Find him more fascinating than any other golfer and more aloof than all of them put together.

Before the 2013 Open he brightened up a very dull Wednesday by signing off with this..

Consecutive wins are pretty hard. You've done it four times. After winning the first week, can you talk about the pressures of winning the next week.
PHIL MICKELSON: No, it's difficult. I mean, it's difficult to win the week before a Major and then follow it up winning the Major. But then again the last person to do it, you're looking at him (laughter).

It was one of the cockiest things I’ve ever seen, then he won it
If memory serves me, in 2003 the journos asked Phil who he thought would be the first lefty to win the Masters - "you're looking at him", he of course replied.
5 days later Mike Weir is putting on the jacket ?

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Donning the best full metal conspiracy hat ....

LIV pay Phil to withdraw from the Masters & US PGA, doing so while a PGA Tour event is running. As the media (especially in US) are obsessed on his return to golf it takes coverage away from the PGA Tour, and also fuels rumours of PGA Tour interference.
Then he does return to golf at a LIV event, sending said media into overdrive.
??