Would you have told him?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing with a regular PP who is known to miscount shots on some holes. There is no malice in it and it's always a genuine error. We laugh about it from time to time, as I've done it myself.
If you are already laughing about it, can't you buy him one of those clickers for a couple of pounds? Maybe try and pull his name at secret santa, ...

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
There’s a couple that are notorious for this, when playing with one of them usually I attempt to mark their card.

When walking off the green I just say the number of shots they’ve had so they can confirm.

Saves embarrassment of them telling me an incorrect score as in my eyes there is zero excuse for it, malice or not it isn’t hard.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
If as you say he is renowned for bad maths then a definite word needs to spoken ,something along the lines of are we having lessons in how to add up, if not shall I keep your score for you .all said on the first tee .if he gets the hump it's not your problem and he will play like a year as he will be seething inside .his problem not yours ,you have just said you will keep his score so he doesn't have to guess his.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Whoever's card I'm marking, I pretty much always check their score as we leave each green, even if I know what it was.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
In your situation, in matchplay after having won the hole, I'd just let it go. What's the point? In stroke play I normally do try to resolve things like that before marking down the score. Normally going through the different shots together can clear it up. Everyone can forget a shot once in a while, especially if you duffed a chip or hit a nasty short top or something like that. It isn't conscious cheating, I think it is just the brain trying to forget that that happened as fast as possible. When you talk about it, a question like "Didn't you have that short punch out from under those trees?" helps to remind the player. It can work the other way round as well, the player might have been right to begin with and the marker just lost track because he was so focues on his own game. But going through the shots one by one normally helps to remember. If there still is doubt after that, I normally go with what the player tells me. It is his game after all. I am only marking the score for him.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tell people all their stupid mistakes. How the hell are they gonna learn that you're watching them?

Pull a mate up the other day of pitch mark repairing. Yup...i'm that bad.