Worst course

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Dinnaton GC in Ivybridge Devon.

Played a junior league match there, the greens had about 1/2 inch of grass on it, the rough had been cut from quite high but the cutting were just left there so just rolling off the fairway meant you could lose your ball under the cuttings.

They had one bunker which had fine gravel in instead of sand

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Worst course is Westerwood to the north of Glasgow. It's a long old trek and in reality, it should be played with a buggy.

A lot of heavy rough and a lot of areas (not that far from the fairway) that are complete no go areas.

Apart from a few problematic greens, the conditioning was ok and there was some decent holes, but its just not an enjoyable place to play.

It's one that was built in the last 20 or 30 years so they felt the need to have sufficient room to play a 7,000+ course, which makes for a lot of walks from the green to the next tee.

I've seen reports on here that it's a bit better now, but I have no intention of spending 5 hours of my life there again.

D

Deleted member 21258

Don't rank mine along the lines of a worst course, so can not name one.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Probably only played about 30 courses so not much frame of reference. Several in very poor conditions, which’ll skew the experience too if half the fairways are basically casual water etc, but also played them in better conditions when they don’t seem as bad

Saline GC - in fog which was a lottery
Dora GC – just so much of it under-water
Kinghorn GC - in the worst wind ever

To be honest each of the above should have been closed on those days but I’ll pick Saline GC just because of the mental layout (the staff/other players were friendly though) but an honourable mention to The Eden – I don’t remember squat from that day apart from the marshal chasing us on 1st fairway

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't think I have ever played a worst course. I've played ones I wouldn't return to but none that deserve a name and shame. I'm on of lucky, need to play more courses or have low standards :D

D

Deleted Member 1156

I like the Eden, it's got some really quirky holes which are good fun to play.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many many years ago, me and pal wanted to get nine holes in, had to go somewhere we could get a bus to since neither of drove, so we went to this place called C&L Country Club in Northolt. The weather was pretty poor as well as I recall. When we got there and asked if we could play nine holes, the receptionist (for there was no actual golf pro shop or anything) replied "Are you sure? There's no refunds." That should have been a warning, but it was cheap as chips anyway so no harm done. It basically ended up being a rough field with some flags in it. No sign-posting for the next tees and they were dotted around randomly so a third of the time was spent trying to find where the next hole started. No idea if it's still open now.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Without question it has to me Thamesmead it's since been closed (I think the driving range is still going) and looking at google maps it's just been left to grow out so it's probably in better condition than it was as a "golf course"

D

Deleted member 16999

One up here built over an old pit, Elemore GC, now run and staffed by volunteers.
Quite a mess, weeds in bunkers, shopping trolleys in the greenside water features, built next door to a very rough housing estate and suffers with youths on motorbikes occasionally, bit sad really as it’s a really good layout and plenty of potential.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
The "worst" one I ever played as far as course conditions are concerned was Stanley Park in Blackpool. No bunker rakes anywhere and the bunkers were filled with some red dirt/dust instead of sand, one hole was missing a flag, everything was a bit scruffy looking, greens were slow as they come and two random teenage guys scared the hell out of me because they were hiding in the bushes and had a lot of fun hollering into my backswing. That said, it was also one of the most exciting and enjoyable rounds of golf I ever played and I was positively on fire. It was relatively late in the day and apart from said teenagers I had the course mostly to myself (almost a bit scary, actually). The course is a McKenzie design, and even though it is as far from Augusta as any course could ever be, it still has a good solid layout and a nice variety of holes. And I only paid 10 quid for 18 holes, so I really can't complain. I would play it again if I was back in Blackpool (I heard it closed down, though? Or at least changed ownership?).

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was a member at Horton Park for a while when I lived in Surrey, I didn't think it was that bad (not until they installed Foot Golf on the front-nine anyway), certainly not the worst course I've played - that would be Forrest Hills in Lancaster. Sheep field with a few flags dotted about.