Worst course

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
About when I played it too, really wasn't in any state to play, and trying to dodge all the dog cr@p was ridiculous. The sausage sandwich for brekkie was I think the only redeeming quality.
My worst too. Awful course in awful condition.
Rumour has it from a mate that only plays a few games a year and rocked up there a few weeks back, nothing has improved any. He's not an experienced golfer by any stretch but even he called it crap

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Outside of some appalling greens designs being too small, silly plateaus on 220-yard par 3 greens making it sheer luck if you actually hit them, a par-4 where you couldn't hit more than a 9-iron off the tee, a handful of straight flat long holes up and down a cowfield and their ridiculous 180-yard par-3 to an island green the size of Boris Johnson's fan club ..... yep it was awesome ;-)
Playing it (probably) later in the year in a golf society day. Played it a year or so ago and have to agree with above.

sunshine

Visit site
Oh, that's interesting... that's nothing to do with West London Golf Centre that's over the road though is it? Where they've got a nice 9-hole, an American Golf and a dinosaur adventure golf thing?

Rich pickings for worst course in that area.

Never played C&L but drove past it once it looked terrible.
Lime Trees was dreadful. It's now been rebuilt as West London Golf Centre.
Airlinks is truly awful. No thought in the design, alongside a motorway and lumps of concrete in the rough.
Ruislip is really poor.
Harefield Place lost some holes but is now run as an 11 hole course and is apparently shocking.
Perivale and Horsenden Hill are poor, but they are budget 9 holers aimed at beginners so fair enough.
Stockley Park used to be fantastic but when it changed owners it was reconfigured, vandalised really, by dumping landfill over some of the best holes.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Airlinks is truly awful. No thought in the design, alongside a motorway and lumps of concrete in the rough.
Ruislip is really poor.
Harefield Place lost some holes but is now run as an 11 hole course and is apparently shocking.
Perivale and Horsenden Hill are poor, but they are budget 9 holers aimed at beginners so fair enough.
Stockley Park used to be fantastic but when it changed owners it was reconfigured, vandalised really, by dumping landfill over some of the best holes.

Can't argue with any of this really, apart from Stockley ever being fantastic. It was ok at best. I remember it when it was a rubbish tip, and it never really improved the area as a golf course. Panoramic views over West Drayton? Hmm.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Ruislip is really poor.
The new nine hole at West London Golf Centre is quite good, I enjoyed it when I've played there a couple of times. It is a shame about the area though - one time I was playing it and some little lad collecting golf balls with his older sister literally picked up my ball off the fairway and tossed it in his carrier bag! I ran up shouting at him and he threw a ball back out and ran off. Wasn't the right ball either.

I never used to like Ruislip as it's a little boring, ironically it's grown on me in the last year and now it's closing down next month anyway thanks to HS2.

Harefield now known as Uxbridge is a 12 hole yeah, I only played it once and wasn't really a fan. Can't remember anything about other than we played the holes in the wrong order by accident due to poor signposting.

I quite liked Stockley Park other than the stupid first hole followed by a long walk over a bridge - but then I never played it in it's supposed hey day so I had nothing to compare it to. Had some well-designed holes though I thought.

sunshine

Visit site
Can't argue with any of this really, apart from Stockley ever being fantastic. It was ok at best. I remember it when it was a rubbish tip, and it never really improved the area as a golf course. Panoramic views over West Drayton? Hmm.
Fair enough I admit I got a bit carried away calling stockley fantastic. It would never feature in a top 100 list, but if you played it off the back tees it was such a clever design requiring real strategy. Robert Trent Jones design, built to test the pros, hosted a seniors tour event. I once played it with a guy on the challenge tour and he didn’t tear it up the way a tour pro would on a typical members course.

Never aesthetically pleasing but something poetic about converting a rubbish tip into a golf course and country park.

sunshine

Visit site
Staying in western fringes of London I’m going to nominate Wyke Green as well. A hundred years ago it was probably really nice and tranquil. Today it has the Piccadilly line running through the middle of it, a busy freight railway at one end, the M4 running along the other side, oh and it’s right under the Heathrow flight path. After all that the quality of the course is irrelevant

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Staying in western fringes of London I’m going to nominate Wyke Green as well. A hundred years ago it was probably really nice and tranquil. Today it has the Piccadilly line running through the middle of it, a busy freight railway at one end, the M4 running along the other side, oh and it’s right under the Heathrow flight path. After all that the quality of the course is irrelevant

I played wyke green back in October and enjoyed the course but it would be so much better without the trains and planes

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Stockley Park was good in the late 90s - I was a member there for a year and off the backs it was a real test. It has been totally ruined now as previously mentioned and wouldn't even play there on a freebie. "Views of West Drayton?" The best view of West Drayton would be of it being blown up.