Worst course

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Played about 6 weeks, not brilliant condition but they were working hard to improve it. Think the fairways suffered in the hot summer last year.
It does have the weirdest tee shot from the 1st though - the fairway directly in front of the tee box is the 11th, the first fairway is 45 degrees to the right, over some trees!
If you come again the greens had really come on last weekend. Agree about the fairways, although thankfully apparently suffered less than Frilford (said those who regularly play both).
The 1st tee was originally the 11th before the redesign a few years back so know where you are coming from, perhaps more like 25 degrees, but less so from the comp tees.

Visit site
Many many years ago, me and pal wanted to get nine holes in, had to go somewhere we could get a bus to since neither of drove, so we went to this place called C&L Country Club in Northolt. The weather was pretty poor as well as I recall. When we got there and asked if we could play nine holes, the receptionist (for there was no actual golf pro shop or anything) replied "Are you sure? There's no refunds." That should have been a warning, but it was cheap as chips anyway so no harm done. It basically ended up being a rough field with some flags in it. No sign-posting for the next tees and they were dotted around randomly so a third of the time was spent trying to find where the next hole started. No idea if it's still open now.
I think that C&L country club is being rebuilt by the Menai-Davis family, owners of The Shire, as West London links golf course. https://www.facebook.com/pages/cate.../West-London-Links-Golf-Club-364154534107862/ They are also bringing the Pete Dye Design team to build The Dye London in north London.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thames Ditton and Esher. I played for free and still think I was ripped off.
Not a favourite. Aside from all the people walking their dogs everywhere, the poor signage and the bumpy greens it was just islands of fairway and then shin high grass. Miss the sliver of fairway you were aiming at and spend ages looking for a ball (usually without success). Still rate it above Horton and Lydd and definitely not a contender for my top 5 poorest courses

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was a few years ago now, but Vert Parc, not far from Lille, France. A field with some flags. Had ponds, so, some wet fields.

8 of us have now been doing our "European tour" for 14 years now - so 42 courses in that time. Vert Parc is by far the unanimous candidate for the title. And I'm pretty sure l've not played a poorer course in the UK.

Fabia999

Visit site
One up here built over an old pit, Elemore GC, now run and staffed by volunteers.
Quite a mess, weeds in bunkers, shopping trolleys in the greenside water features, built next door to a very rough housing estate and suffers with youths on motorbikes occasionally, bit sad really as it’s a really good layout and plenty of potential.

I would second this. Run away winner with worst course I've played on. All problems mentioned above, and the dog walkers who don't keep dog on lead.

I notice you're at Seaham. How is that? Surprised I've never played it with it being so close.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that C&L country club is being rebuilt by the Menai-Davis family, owners of The Shire, as West London links golf course. https://www.facebook.com/pages/cate.../West-London-Links-Golf-Club-364154534107862/ They are also bringing the Pete Dye Design team to build The Dye London in north London.
Oh, that's interesting... that's nothing to do with West London Golf Centre that's over the road though is it? Where they've got a nice 9-hole, an American Golf and a dinosaur adventure golf thing?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, it's 9 hole course - extremely tight and IMHO overpriced green fees for what it is.
Ah yeah I remember a couple of holes. The first is a tricky one with all trees down the right isn't it? And one par three you have play over a different green I seem to recall.

D

Deleted member 17920

Having played over 400 courses I cant think I have ever played a horrendous course.

Each course for me has its own good points and bad paints and they are priced accordingly.

We all start somewhere and as long as there are courses for every budget and every ability then golf will keep going.

Last edited by a moderator:

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
Top House in NZ is 9 holes in a farmers fields, but that is the whole point. It is a course he made for himself, and only available to guests. I played it with a borrowed 9i. No need for a putter, a 9i was a better implement on what are loosely greens.

Where is this place ... please tell. I have to go :)

I've played some pretty ropey old courses here, mostly maintained by sheep, but given my love of the simplest (and most traditional) game I'm always keen to find another.

Poor courses in the UK would include the Centre Parts Elveden Forest par 3 (horrid) and the old Bunny Park pitch and putt in Ealing, where they didn't really bother with greens, just put holes in the fairway. Where "fairway" means "slopey parkland".

bm

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was a member at Horton Park for a while when I lived in Surrey, I didn't think it was that bad.
Outside of some appalling greens designs being too small, silly plateaus on 220-yard par 3 greens making it sheer luck if you actually hit them, a par-4 where you couldn't hit more than a 9-iron off the tee, a handful of straight flat long holes up and down a cowfield and their ridiculous 180-yard par-3 to an island green the size of Boris Johnson's fan club ..... yep it was awesome ;-)

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Surprised someone mentioned the Windmill at Coventry because I always found it good value and generally in good condition. Ponds and lakes give it some character. It has some good par 3's, 4's and 5's.

Definitely nothing like Walsall municipal where I also remember no sand in the bunkers, no proper tees, the car park more like a Land Rover test track and no clubhouse. You paid your green fee at a portacabin where the attendant told me that any number of players would be allowed on provided they had at least one bag between them. I think I played it 3 times. Must have been desperate for a game.

D

Deleted member 16999

I would second this. Run away winner with worst course I've played on. All problems mentioned above, and the dog walkers who don't keep dog on lead.

I notice you're at Seaham. How is that? Surprised I've never played it with it being so close.
Doing well mate, Played 4-5 Courses in the local area recently and apart from Tyneside I’d argue ours is in the best condition.
We played South Shields in a League match last night and they stated our course was currently better than theirs also.
If you’d like to play Seaham feel free to send me a message, any day after 12 or evenings good for me, bar hospital appts.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
For enjoyment, value for money, layout, and pace of play, (not normally an issue for me), Penina ........................ by a country mile!