Worst course

D

Deleted member 1147

The Best Western Plus Windmill Hotel, Golf & Spa, near Coventry - short course, poor holes, slow & in bad nick.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Without question it has to me Thamesmead it's since been closed (I think the driving range is still going) and looking at google maps it's just been left to grow out so it's probably in better condition than it was as a "golf course"

Main hazards were the burnt out cars and the pikeys horses !

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Carswell... Used to be a field with some flags in it....I hope it has improved!
Played about 6 weeks, not brilliant condition but they were working hard to improve it. Think the fairways suffered in the hot summer last year.
It does have the weirdest tee shot from the 1st though - the fairway directly in front of the tee box is the 11th, the first fairway is 45 degrees to the right, over some trees!

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
Crowwood. Really didn’t enjoy it. Not a great layout and very wet at a time
When there hadn’t been much rain

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't think there is a worst, just some that did not meet expectations. Pay a tenner, I am not expecting Augusta standards. Pay 100, and I am more picky.

Air links in Hayes is a shocker, but its cheap.

Top House in NZ is 9 holes in a farmers fields, but that is the whole point. It is a course he made for himself, and only available to guests. I played it with a borrowed 9i. No need for a putter, a 9i was a better implement on what are loosely greens.

Quite a few hotel courses are a bit bland. Played one a while ago, and the 2nd was a blind dog leg par 3. Unusual, to put it mildly.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I don't think there is a worst, just some that did not meet expectations. Pay a tenner, I am not expecting Augusta standards. Pay 100, and I am more picky.

Air links in Hayes is a shocker, but its cheap.

Top House in NZ is 9 holes in a farmers fields, but that is the whole point. It is a course he made for himself, and only available to guests. I played it with a borrowed 9i. No need for a putter, a 9i was a better implement on what are loosely greens.

Quite a few hotel courses are a bit bland. Played one a while ago, and the 2nd was a blind dog leg par 3. Unusual, to put it mildly.

A blind dog-leg par 3 .... LOL! I almost want to play it!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Worst course is Westerwood to the north of Glasgow. It's a long old trek and in reality, it should be played with a buggy.

A lot of heavy rough and a lot of areas (not that far from the fairway) that are complete no go areas.

Apart from a few problematic greens, the conditioning was ok and there was some decent holes, but its just not an enjoyable place to play.

It's one that was built in the last 20 or 30 years so they felt the need to have sufficient room to play a 7,000+ course, which makes for a lot of walks from the green to the next tee.

I've seen reports on here that it's a bit better now, but I have no intention of spending 5 hours of my life there again.
Add Dougalston
Worst course is Westerwood to the north of Glasgow. It's a long old trek and in reality, it should be played with a buggy.

A lot of heavy rough and a lot of areas (not that far from the fairway) that are complete no go areas.

Apart from a few problematic greens, the conditioning was ok and there was some decent holes, but its just not an enjoyable place to play.

It's one that was built in the last 20 or 30 years so they felt the need to have sufficient room to play a 7,000+ course, which makes for a lot of walks from the green to the next tee.

I've seen reports on here that it's a bit better now, but I have no intention of spending 5 hours of my life there again.
Esporta Dougalston is much the same, not played it for years condition wasn't too bad but it's a long slog and easy to get yourself lost.
Brian Barnes lost 5 balls the day he opened it, way back in the 80s i think.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Add Dougalston

Esporta Dougalston is much the same, not played it for years condition wasn't too bad but it's a long slog and easy to get yourself lost.
Brian Barnes lost 5 balls the day he opened it, way back in the 80s i think.

Yes - it's a tough round up at Dougalston. Played there quite a bit a few years ago when a mate was a member. Think on a Saturday medal it would be nearly impossible to get round in less than 4 and a half hours given the walks between holes and the time you'd spend looking for balls.

Even if you can hit the ball long and straight off the tee, you are still going to have the odd wayward shot and in a lot of places, you could be 10 yards off the fairway and it's a lost ball.

D

Deleted member 23344

Redhill and Reigate (recently closed) ... on common land, so loads of strolling people, children playing and numerous dogwalkers. In poor condition, but I played it just before it closed, so they may not have bothered in the final weeks.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
One up here built over an old pit, Elemore GC, now run and staffed by volunteers.
Quite a mess, weeds in bunkers, shopping trolleys in the greenside water features, built next door to a very rough housing estate and suffers with youths on motorbikes occasionally, bit sad really as it’s a really good layout and plenty of potential.

First course I ever played, and I still got hooked... not sure who or what that says more about!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Main hazards were the burnt out cars and the pikeys horses !

I lived in Thamesmead for about 10 years and never played the course, but the range was ok - I hit many a ball in the Thames!

Another poor course was Bromley - plagued by members of the caravan club and just generally crap

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really? Ok, it had a sewerage works you had to walk past in between a couple of holes, but if that is the worst you have played you have lead a privileged existence.
It was so bland. Offered absolutely nothing, greens were appalling. I actually walked in early. Never done that before

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site