World Handicap System

wjemather

Visit site
As he's either playing in a comp and scoring, then by dint is expected to hand in the card at the end, or is using the general play function to record his card, then yes there are rules. Also, there will be specifics within his club on how he is expected to register and score a card for initial handicap.
You're embellishing the scenario - there was no indication in the op that any comp was being played or any pre-registration was done for these 3 scores. I suspect most clubs merely ask for 3 cards played in accordance with the rules of golf, with no further qualification as to when or how.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not withstanding the fact that the player had submitted three cards then decided he did not want one to count (for positive reasons as it turned out) I would say that...

1.3 (i) Player

A player is expected to:

Act with integrity by following the Rules of Handicapping.....etc etc

would be an applicable rule

To my mind this is equally relevant whether a player is wanting to ignore good scores, so he gets a higher handicap than is truly accurate, or if he wants to omit high scores because he wants to keep his handicap low.

see post #1244

I had already realised my mistake

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Gents as I posted #1237 please let me try and clarify. The guy wants a low handicap as he was previously off 8 no idea how long ago in Dubai.

He had 2 cards marked but not submitted, 89 and 79 Gross. He said yesterday he was going to submit a 3rd after being marked yesterday, he was not in our Group. When he shot 88 he said he was going to discard that card and have another card marked. Hope this makes sense.

Another simple question please. When submitting cards for handicap purposes is nett double bogey used for calculating initial HI. if so how please?

Many thanks

Swango1980

Visit site
Gents as I posted #1237 please let me try and clarify. The guy wants a low handicap as he was previously off 8 no idea how long ago in Dubai.

He had 2 cards marked but not submitted, 89 and 79 Gross. He said yesterday he was going to submit a 3rd after being marked yesterday, he was not in our Group. When he shot 88 he said he was going to discard that card and have another card marked. Hope this makes sense.

Another simple question please. When submitting cards for handicap purposes is nett double bogey used for calculating initial HI. if so how please?

Many thanks
No, there is no such thing as NETT double bogey, as the player has no handicap to begin with to calculate a nett score.

All bad scores are rounded down to Par+5

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

Many thanks

I think we got it....it was my initial misinterpretation of the reasoning for not submitting the third card that caused confusion. Though I still don't think he should be able to pick and choose which cards he submits even if his intentions are to avoid getting a higher handicap than he thinks he can play off....even if he submitted three poor cards initially players handicaps are so volatile when they only have a handful of cards in their record that it would only take a couple of decent rounds to kick them out of his "counting scores".

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
A stat on another badly failing part of WHS, the PCC. Not sure if it was always there and I never saw it, or it's recently been added, anyway, we can now see the PCC change from every course on a given day.

So Sunday, 413 courses generated a PCC, and how many did it vary from 0 on? Eight. o_O

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
So Sunday, 413 courses generated a PCC, and how many did it vary from 0 on? Eight. o_O

You mean 8 Scottish courses experienced tornadoes and volcanic eruptions/earthquakes on Sunday? Would have been 9 but there were insufficient fatalities to change PCC!! :eek:

A couple of the 8 were "minus" as Trump was over for a game against Kim Jong Un! :)

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
A stat on another badly failing part of WHS, the PCC. Not sure if it was always there and I never saw it, or it's recently been added, anyway, we can now see the PCC change from every course on a given day.

In what way was that a failure?

D

Deleted member 15344

It seems to have worked for the ladies today - second place got 36 points. The winner scored 49 playing off 47 !! ????

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Many thanks

In our guideline we say players who have not submitted 3 cards can decide whether or not to submit a particular card. However in this instance the player needs to be informed that his initial card will be based upon the 79 and the others will be ignored. He should also be aware that he can submit 5 cards before any other card affects his H.I unless they are better than the 79.

Refer him to Rules of Handicapping Rule 5.2 (we have this displayed on our handicaps noticeboard).

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

The EG system also has been expanded so you can look at PCC's from courses in your own region. So....looking at what I would consider to be the largest clubs in Suffolk since 1st April (which is pretty much when we started playing golf again) I can see that there were on average 48 days where clubs did not have the requisite 8 scores to even set off a PCC calculation (and that's assuming that when there were 8 or more scores that they met the rest of the qualification criteria such as handicap index below 36 and scores not being scaled up).

Of the remaining days where there were at least 8 scores submitted the following adjustments occurred...

-1: 0.9%
0: 92.5%
+1: 4.0%
+2: 1.5%
+3: 1.1%

Definitely a very conservative calculation is going on.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The EG system also has been expanded so you can look at PCC's from courses in your own region. So....looking at what I would consider to be the largest clubs in Suffolk since 1st April (which is pretty much when we started playing golf again) I can see that there were on average 48 days where clubs did not have the requisite 8 scores to even set off a PCC calculation (and that's assuming that when there were 8 or more scores that they met the rest of the qualification criteria such as handicap index below 36 and scores not being scaled up).

Of the remaining days where there were at least 8 scores submitted the following adjustments occurred...

-1: 0.9%
0: 92.5%
+1: 4.0%
+2: 1.5%
+3: 1.1%

Definitely a very conservative calculation is going on.
As it should be, imo.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're spot on, but what it's done instead is confuse most players because they look at the boards and think that's their course handicap. Total waste of money, and thoroughly counter-productive.
Agreed, I think Clint Eastwood called it a Cluster F***.
Far too many big changes were made to the rules and the handicap system at the same time .
A few minor tweaks and changes were probably needed, that was all, not a COMPLETE re write of almost everything.
OVERKILL.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did post #1237 and the ld hs still not been allotted a handicap. He has submitted 4 scores which would have given him a handicap of 7.1. No problem there. However he did have a WHS number from Dubai and submitted 3 scores in 2019 which he was not aware of when he submitted. This is a genuine mistake, no problem of cheating.

However my question is:Why were his details not transferred from Dubai. 1015002760 is his WHS number. Perhaps some of you more knowledgeable guys can show the way forward. Many thanks

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I did post #1237 and the ld hs still not been allotted a handicap. He has submitted 4 scores which would have given him a handicap of 7.1. No problem there. However he did have a WHS number from Dubai and submitted 3 scores in 2019 which he was not aware of when he submitted. This is a genuine mistake, no problem of cheating.

However my question is:Why were his details not transferred from Dubai. 1015002760 is his WHS number. Perhaps some of you more knowledgeable guys can show the way forward. Many thanks
CDH numbers don't transfer between countries, his club needs to allocate a new one