World Handicap System (WHS)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
haha, I think the handicap secretary may have a few tough questions to ask if he decided to give him a starting handicap of 54. If that is true, I don't think he will do that again.

These days the Handicap Secretary does not do a lot for initial handicap it's all done by the computer and they would have to have a very good reason for not accepting what the calculations tell them. The days of picking a figure out of the air have long gone.

Nothing wrong with adjusting based upon later results though.

Swango1980

Visit site
These days the Handicap Secretary does not do a lot for initial handicap it's all done by the computer and they would have to have a very good reason for not accepting what the calculations tell them. The days of picking a figure out of the air have long gone.

Nothing wrong with adjusting based upon later results though.
Indeed. But, I mean his decision to give an Index of 54 BEFORE those initial 3 cards are in.

I understand what he did. Club V1 only seems to allow members with handicaps to enter a competition field, so he had made one up. I wish there was an option to sign in members without a handicap. Clearly they can't appear on results, but just to get them officially booked in so they can be included in draw, and use their score towards their first 3 cards.

MB200

Visit site
Hi all,

Quick question for you. I hold a Handicap Index through England Golf, if I go and play at a Scottish golf course how do I enter that card as not sure it can be done through the EG golf app? Do I just have to hand it in to my home club?

Thanks!

wjemather

Visit site
Hi all,

Quick question for you. I hold a Handicap Index through England Golf, if I go and play at a Scottish golf course how do I enter that card as not sure it can be done through the EG golf app? Do I just have to hand it in to my home club?

Thanks!
Yes, return your score to the handicap committee at your home club as soon as reasonably practical; this could be by text or email, or physical card, depending on their procedures.

Swango1980

Visit site
Why did he not have 95%? He may then only had a nett 40!!!
I tried to work out what by best ever score would have been had I been given a Handicap Index of 54 at my club, off whites. It would give me a course handicap of 64, playing handicap of 61.

Final score would be nett 7, or 99 points. I wonder what the world record is :)

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Indeed. But, I mean his decision to give an Index of 54 BEFORE those initial 3 cards are in.

I understand what he did. Club V1 only seems to allow members with handicaps to enter a competition field, so he had made one up. I wish there was an option to sign in members without a handicap. Clearly they can't appear on results, but just to get them officially booked in so they can be included in draw, and use their score towards their first 3 cards.

Are you sure you are not missing a tick box somewhere? Handicapmaster has a tick box for comp draws which allows inclusion of players without handicaps.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
When calculating percentage for playing handicap is it the percentage of the actual course handicap, e.g. 95% of 18 (which gives 17 shots), or of the course handicap before it's rounded, e.g. 95% of 18.44444 (which gives 18 shots)?

I'm in Scotland if it makes a difference?

Swango1980

Visit site
When calculating percentage for playing handicap is it the percentage of the actual course handicap, e.g. 95% of 18 (which gives 17 shots), or of the course handicap before it's rounded, e.g. 95% of 18.44444 (which gives 18 shots)?

If you are in Scotland, Use the unrounded Course Handicap (the decimal). If in England, Use the rounded course handicap (the whole number)

wjemather

Visit site

The Playing Handicap is calculated from the unrounded Course Handicap in Scotland, and the rounded Course Handicap in the rest of GB&I.

TigerTime

Visit site
Okay so my first three cards gave me a handicap of 21.8. I shot 95 gross (nett 72, +2) today in a comp, so am I right in thinking my handicap will go down ever so slightly since I've just submitted my 4th card which is now my best one?

Probably been asked a ton but not trawling through 156 pages :D Not too worried will just let the system do it's thing but was curious.

TigerTime

Visit site
Nevermind worked it out.

So it'll be a .1 increase. I thought anything over double bogey didn't count once you had your handicap. Or will this be calculated overnight and therefore it might actually be a small decrease?

On a positive note, howdidido app gets a thumbs up from me, simple and easy to use.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nevermind worked it out.

So it'll be a .1 increase. I thought anything over double bogey didn't count once you had your handicap. Or will this be calculated overnight and therefore it might actually be a small decrease?

On a positive note, howdidido app gets a thumbs up from me, simple and easy to use.

Any score worse than nett double bogey (zero points in Stableford) is reduced to Nett double bogey for handicap purposes. If it is the same as England golf when you look at the card on the Scotland Golf website such scores are shown as black with 2 white lined boxes and the adjusted score in brackets.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Okay so my first three cards gave me a handicap of 21.8. I shot 95 gross (nett 72, +2) today in a comp, so am I right in thinking my handicap will go down ever so slightly since I've just submitted my 4th card which is now my best one?

Probably been asked a ton but not trawling through 156 pages :D Not too worried will just let the system do it's thing but was curious.
If you have 4 scores your Index will be the lowest Score Differential minus 1.0.
SD = (113 / Slope) x (Gross - Course Rating - PCC)
See page 49