World Handicap System (WHS)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Regional handicap advisors still have accesss to the CDH database but I believe it is being ‘turned off’ in a few months,I think I heard that in one of the pre Xmas EG virtual handicap meetings.
That is correct. I can get in but for not much longer.

Reactions: D-S

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does anyone know if access to the old CDH DB is still available as it won’t let me in.

I had an issue with WHS over a member without a valid email address so he appeared with no HI and no scoring record and was given a new CDH ID. I sought WHS advice on how to proceed when I sorted the email problem and he was re-instated with his original CDH and scoring history. I assume that this means that the WHS system has full access to the old UHS CDH data, including that of resigned players so, with a bit of sleuthing, it should be possible to find all sorts of things about all sorts of players.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had an issue with WHS over a member without a valid email address so he appeared with no HI and no scoring record and was given a new CDH ID. I sought WHS advice on how to proceed when I sorted the email problem and he was re-instated with his original CDH and scoring history. I assume that this means that the WHS system has full access to the old UHS CDH data, including that of resigned players so, with a bit of sleuthing, it should be possible to find all sorts of things about all sorts of players.
:eek:Oh no :D

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Initial thoughts are that the system is ok, but, it requires players to submit a lot more supplementary scores to keep their handicap relevant.

Most of the people I have spoken to about WHS won't be doing this. They'll just play their 15 or so club comps ( qualifiers) a year. Indeed , some will play more, some less.

The system seems to be designed for golfers who cant afford to be a member of a golf club (ie, in the USA where it is expensive) and play lots of away golf at different courses and not necessarily the dynamic if a UK club membership. Im going to try and engage in it and play a lot more rounds with card in hand.

If somebody is putting 15 cards a year then they are above average any way and I would not see the need for General Play rounds as well.

It is those that only put in 2 or 3 that need to add in GP rounds and those who have less than 20 qualifying scores in their handicap record.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
If somebody is putting 15 cards a year then they are above average any way and I would not see the need for General Play rounds as well.

It is those that only put in 2 or 3 that need to add in GP rounds and those who have less than 20 qualifying scores in their handicap record.
Question, if no new cards are submitted will an existing handicap remain active ?

AliMc

Visit site
That’s unreasonable. The average age of males at my home club is late 60’s. Inevitably there will b difficulty using the phone app on-course and mistakes are far more likely to be made.
Don't think it's too unreasonable, it's probably been built into the system to stop people from sitting in the clubhouse keying in 18 holes without stepping on the course, not that anyone would do that of course !

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

It's the "need to" worries me slightly. I do not set out to play X amount of competitions. I play mostly social golf, with a few comps now and then.
( not opens, just a few club comps)
Chaps like me seem to be anathema to whs. I get the idea that they really want you to be competition minded?
We'll see how it goes?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Question, if no new cards are submitted will an existing handicap remain active ?

By active I presume you you mean have a handicap (the word active has other connotations in Handicap terms).

You have a handicap as long as you remain a member of an Affiliated golf club.

Competition Status disappeared with the WHS.

Swango1980

Visit site
Yes, no such thing as active or inactive, or "c" status anymore. A player may not submit a card for years, and still have a normal handicap. Up to competition organisers of they want any entry requirements regarding number of rounds submitted for handicap

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's the "need to" worries me slightly. I do not set out to play X amount of competitions. I play mostly social golf, with a few comps now and then.
Chaps like me seem to be anathema to whs. I get the idea that they really want you to be competition minded?
We'll see how it goes?

When it was coming in I was checking all players. We have more than 100 who have not put in a card since Jan 2018 or earlier I cannot see them putting in cards just because we now have the WHS.

I reckon the main reason any player should put in a reasonable number of cards is just to have a handicap that reflects their current ability and that works for both types, too low a one and too high a one.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys, this year I intend to only enter better ball comps or Texas scrambles home or away. Sadly my sore back wont allow me to play a full round hitting every shot :cry:.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
We'll see how it goes?

Perhaps the intention is not to make you competition minded. I think that, with WHS, the intention is to instil the mindset that "a card in hand" is no big deal and that the more cards which go to WHS the better the reflection of your ability.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Perhaps the intention is not to make you competition minded. I think that, with WHS, the intention is to instil the mindset that "a card in hand" is no big deal and that the more cards which go to WHS the better the reflection of your ability.
It certainly became that playing under NZ versions of WHS, just another round with no added pressure .

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Used the EG app to enter a score this afternoon, easy to sign in and add Hid as player 2. Easy to update scores after each hole with a running total of how many over par and stable Ford points, didn't use side match but will next time. Finished round, signed the box and submitted. Only niggle is you don't get a notification that there is a message to verify Hid score, might be in settings?. Overall for ease of use 9/10.Wouod be 10 for the notification

I saw that this was now available so used the EG app today.

All went fine until it comes to my PP attesting my score...the app does not seem to allow me to select my PP's name....despite it being there under the list of playing partners it wont let me select his name.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I wear contact lens for distance vision when playing I can’t read the screen of my phone to enter my score and can’t be bothered doing glasses on-glasses off. I record my score on a card and when I have finished I enter my round in the app. Works much better for me as much less of a fiddle.

How can you see the scorecard to write then.......???

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only people who will have access to the old CDH database will be England Golf staff, for viewing only. This goes back to the start of the CDH.
The WHS (software) system only ever received a CDH data file for the transition. It was limited to score records back to 1 Jan 2018. It will not be replicated or reprocessed.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I saw that this was now available so used the EG app today.

All went fine until it comes to my PP attesting my score...the app does not seem to allow me to select my PP's name....despite it being there under the list of playing partners it wont let me select his name.
Did you click on the grey box under Attester/Marker?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Did you click on the grey box under Attester/Marker?

Yes....it gave me a list of my playing partners but wouldn't allow me to select any of them.

Seemingly it didn't like me just writing their name in as my marker before starting the round...the app wanted me to select from specific member records from our club. Now sorted but my attestor is now trying to figure out how he goes about verifying my score...he's got a message via the App but it doesnt give him any clues as to how to verify the score.