World Handicap System (WHS)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Initial thoughts are that the system is ok, but, it requires players to submit a lot more supplementary scores to keep their handicap relevant.

Most of the people I have spoken to about WHS won't be doing this. They'll just play their 15 or so club comps ( qualifiers) a year. Indeed , some will play more, some less.

The system seems to be designed for golfers who cant afford to be a member of a golf club (ie, in the USA where it is expensive) and play lots of away golf at different courses and not necessarily the dynamic if a UK club membership. Im going to try and engage in it and play a lot more rounds with card in hand.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Initial thoughts are that the system is ok, but, it requires players to submit a lot more supplementary scores to keep their handicap relevant.

Most of the people I have spoken to about WHS won't be doing this. They'll just play their 15 or so club comps ( qualifiers) a year. Indeed , some will play more, some less.

The system seems to be designed for golfers who cant afford to be a member of a golf club (ie, in the USA where it is expensive) and play lots of away golf at different courses and not necessarily the dynamic if a UK club membership. Im going to try and engage in it and play a lot more rounds with card in hand.
Interested to know why you feel the need for more casual rounds.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Used the EG app to enter a score this afternoon, easy to sign in and add Hid as player 2. Easy to update scores after each hole with a running total of how many over par and stable Ford points, didn't use side match but will next time. Finished round, signed the box and submitted. Only niggle is you don't get a notification that there is a message to verify Hid score, might be in settings?. Overall for ease of use 9/10.Wouod be 10 for the notification
Well that seems a bit strange Hid HI has gone up overnight but mine has stayed the same despite losing from my last 20 rounds my best score. ?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interested to know why you feel the need for more casual rounds.

Because the more you play, the more accurate your handicap will be based on your best 8 from 20.

Ordinarily I'll play 15 or so qualifiers a season, some at my club only play board comps. As such, the span of "20 rounds" could be from as long as a year ago.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
What did that scoring round get replaced by in your last 20?
74 was knocked out by 81, next best in the 20 is a 76. The 74 is still highlighted but H/C sec has now deleted it so hopefully overnight it will right it self. He going to write to EG about the handicapping on the EG app

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well that seems a bit strange Hid HI has gone up overnight but mine has stayed the same despite losing from my last 20 rounds my best score. ?
H/C looked this morning and could see a score input Intent as well as the score submitted yesterday. Both wondering if the intent is from the EG app we scored on but then overided it by entering a casual score through V1

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As I wear contact lens for distance vision when playing I can’t read the screen of my phone to enter my score and can’t be bothered doing glasses on-glasses off. I record my score on a card and when I have finished I enter my round in the app. Works much better for me as much less of a fiddle.

AliMc

Visit site
As I wear contact lens for distance vision when playing I can’t read the screen of my phone to enter my score and can’t be bothered doing glasses on-glasses off. I record my score on a card and when I have finished I enter my round in the app. Works much better for me as much less of a fiddle.
I may be wrong here but I don't think that the SG App would let you do this as it has time constraints built in, at least not all 18 holes in one go, for example at the 10th it will display a message advising that you can't submit the card for, eg, another 1hour 15 minutes, presumably based on how long it's taken to play the first nine (message based on when we were playing 2 balls in around 2 and a half hours)

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I may be wrong here but I don't think that the SG App would let you do this as it has time constraints built in, at least not all 18 holes in one go, for example at the 10th it will display a message advising that you can't submit the card for, eg, another 1hour 15 minutes, presumably based on how long it's taken to play the first nine (message based on when we were playing 2 balls in around 2 and a half hours)
HDID can let you do it on the move however there will be a time delay on the EG app.

Leftie5.6

Visit site
That’s unreasonable. The average age of males at my home club is late 60’s. Inevitably there will b difficulty using the phone app on-course and mistakes are far more likely to be made.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
That’s unreasonable. The average age of males at my home club is late 60’s. Inevitably there will b difficulty using the phone app on-course and mistakes are far more likely to be made.
This, fine afterwards but not necessary on course and could lead to errors. Our ladies on mass now use the HDID app after the round.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Is there any documentation that describes what a committee must do when a new member joins who has been away from the game for some time....for example a player may not have been a member of a club for say a year but has a good or even full scoring record.

In the old days...if a player left a club his handicap would be lost immediately...but if he joined a new club within 6 months then his handicap would be reinstated at its previous level. Anything longer than 6 months he would be required to submit cards with his previous handicap being taken into consideration.

Cant find any guidance as to how to handle similar situations under the WHS.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there any documentation that describes what a committee must do when a new member joins who has been away from the game for some time....for example a player may not have been a member of a club for say a year but has a good or even full scoring record.

In the old days...if a player left a club his handicap would be lost immediately...but if he joined a new club within 6 months then his handicap would be reinstated at its previous level. Anything longer than 6 months he would be required to submit cards with his previous handicap being taken into consideration.

Cant find any guidance as to how to handle similar situations under the WHS.

Nothing there that I can see in either document. Perhaps, at last, your membership no/CDH really is life long, not sure what would/will happen with the old - can’t remember - merchant.

D-S

Visit site
Regional handicap advisors still have accesss to the CDH database but I believe it is being ‘turned off’ in a few months,I think I heard that in one of the pre Xmas EG virtual handicap meetings.