World Cup 2018

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I feel like it had to be someone already involved in coaching the side, otherwise it's someone coming in with a blank sheet, not knowing half the players and a world in 24 hours time. So their hands were a bit tied.

Yes, i guess they didn't have a lot of options!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
2026 World Cup Awarded to USA , Canada and Mexico
3 host nations prequalified. Does it leave any space for the Americas to have more than Brazil joining?

What next? The UK should have a go, getting all 4 home nations in. Or maybe the EU can apply as a total, but that doesn’t leave space for non EU European countries at all.

And why does Trump support a ‘Mexican’ bid? What happened to rapists and the wall?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
3 host nations prequalified. Does it leave any space for the Americas to have more than Brazil joining?

What next? The UK should have a go, getting all 4 home nations in. Or maybe the EU can apply as a total, but that doesn’t leave space for non EU European countries at all.

Might be the only chance Scotland have of qualifying for a World Cup. :D

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
2026 - seems a nonsense that three countries get it, particularly ones which will incur such huge travel distances. I could understand three smaller countries but those three?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2026 - seems a nonsense that three countries get it, particularly ones which will incur such huge travel distances. I could understand three smaller countries but those three?

It's 1382 miles between Yekaterinburg and Saint Petersburg, host cites for the Russia World Cup. And 1890 miles between Yekaterinburg and Kaliningrad, both according to AA Routeplanner. Not exactly next door to each other. As long as the groups are arranged sensibly then I don't see it as a massive issue, especially with most teams taking private planes that will get between the most extreme locations in three hours max.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's 1382 miles between Yekaterinburg and Saint Petersburg, host cites for the Russia World Cup. And 1890 miles between Yekaterinburg and Kaliningrad, both according to AA Routeplanner. Not exactly next door to each other. As long as the groups are arranged sensibly then I don't see it as a massive issue, especially with most teams taking private planes that will get between the most extreme locations in three hours max.

What about the fans ? But then I guess FIFA/UEFA show that they don’t really care about them

It’s utterly ridiculous that it’s allowed to go to a bid from three countries which then allows all three straight into the World Cup - the travelling will be vast but I guess FIFA will get nice juicy sponsers from the US

Pin-seeker

Visit site
What about the fans ? But then I guess FIFA/UEFA show that they don’t really care about them

It’s utterly ridiculous that it’s allowed to go to a bid from three countries which then allows all three straight into the World Cup - the travelling will be vast but I guess FIFA will get nice juicy sponsers from the US

No one really cares about the fans.
Do you honestly believe that any of the premier league clubs put their fans first?

It’s all about the £££.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

As was posted above, there is plenty of travel in Russia. There was also a distance of 1700km between some of the stadiums in South Africa. Ass into that that the next euros is continent wide and I think it’s clear that logistics isn’t a concern with the governing bodies.

Whilst I don’t think 3 nations should host it, especially two which have hosted a World Cup prior. I would accept that the US probabaly has the best infrastructure for travel arrangements on that scale.

Realistically it’s only likely to be Canada that would require a bye as the others tend to qualify, especially with numbers raising to 48. So I don’t think that it’s like they’ll be stealing 3 places from other teams.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Fair point but somehow it seems more acceptable when it is one country. Those distances are avoidable, or reduced, for 2026 if it is held in just one country or two at most.

You will lose a sense of the country host and that particular tournament. Pick a tournament since 78, the first I can remember, and I associate a country with it. Not sure that will work with three hosting. That is more of a romantic thing but still a shame.

Interesting point about three hosts qualifying as well. That is going to mess things up for others in their region unless they follow through with the promised 48 team finals. At that point there is plenty of space.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I thought about that, it would only leave one spot for a North American side to qualify - then I remembered that 2026 is the year they are stupidly putting it up to 48 teams. Another bloody ridiculous idea from FIFA that will totally ruin the World Cup. Better enjoy this one and the next one while we can, as it becomes a diluted sack of rubbish lasting about two months after that.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought about that, it would only leave one spot for a North American side to qualify - then I remembered that 2026 is the year they are stupidly putting it up to 48 teams. Another bloody ridiculous idea from FIFA that will totally ruin the World Cup. Better enjoy this one and the next one while we can, as it becomes a diluted sack of rubbish lasting about two months after that.

It will last for 34 days, I believe, this one lasts 32 days

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It will last for 34 days, I believe, this one lasts 32 days
Not sure how. There will be one extra knock-out round to fit in won't there?

I still think it's a ridiculous idea. There will be too many useless teams in there, and with three team groups with only one going out, you will see a lot more boring defensive football as people realise two draws is likely to be enough. Teams advancing without even winning a game. Rubbish.

Last edited:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Not sure how. They must be playing four games every day then rather than three. And there will be one extra knock-out round to fit in won't there?

I still think it's a ridiculous idea. There will be too many useless teams in there, and with three team groups with only one going out, you will see a lot more boring defensive football as people realise two draws is likely to be enough. Teams advancing without even winning a game. Rubbish.

I agree, it’ll be like the euros where the lesser teams go all out defence against group favs and then hope they can beat their rival at the bottom to squeeze through.

I think that it’ll be 4/5 games a day until knockout. So maybe the groups over earlier.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree, it’ll be like the euros where the lesser teams go all out defence against group favs and then hope they can beat their rival at the bottom to squeeze through.

I think that it’ll be 4/5 games a day until knockout. So maybe the groups over earlier.
I think the current 32 team format is perfect, as a spectacle and from a mathematical viewpoint, where it all matches up perfectly. i.e. 50% of teams go out each time. It just works and I hate the fact that they've messed with it.