World Cup 2018

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
World Rankings are artificial and can be manipulated....Poland for example are ranked way above their true level because of the very limited number of friendlies they've played. Friendlies only have a ranking coefficient of 1 in the FIFA system compared with qualifiers which are ranked 2.5. Every friendly played has the effect of potentially dragging down a team's ranking...by no playing any, Poland's ranking is artificially high.

A similar thing happened to Italy in the last world cup...they played two friendlies that dragged their ranking down allowing Switzerland to be seeded ahead of them in the draw.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

England v Tunisia - Monday 18th June, KO 7pm

England v Panama - Sunday 24th June, KO 1pm

England v Belgium - Thursday 28th June, KO 7pm

No need to worry about time off work for the 9-5’s

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
England v Tunisia - Monday 18th June, KO 7pm

England v Panama - Sunday 24th June, KO 1pm

England v Belgium - Thursday 28th June, KO 7pm

No need to worry about time off work for the 9-5’s

Pretty good draw and no excuses for not qualifying. Of course knowing England they'll need a win against Belgium to go through having slipped up somewhere. Think Southgate must be happy and the timings are great for the viewers

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Did I miss something in the World Cup draw? Where are the other home nations? ;)

Sitting here with a wee smile as the team who only managed to draw with Scotland with an extra time equaliser are being pumped up to win easily against three sides who are above Scotland in the world rankings.

That said I wish them well, I think they have a very good manager and the makings if a world top 10 team.
I shall be cheering them on.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sitting here with a wee smile as the team who only managed to draw with Scotland with an extra time equaliser are being pumped up to win easily against three sides who are above Scotland in the world rankings.

That said I wish them well, I think they have a very good manager and the makings if a world top 10 team.
I shall be cheering them on.

Your right there Doon,ridiculous that some have us qualifying already, do they not remember Iceland? and others we should supposedly beat with ease and then struggle.

But I'm more hopeful this time with a good Squad, but more important a manager that's not from the dark ages:eek:

Doon are you sure your a Scot ? Because I've lived in Scotland for 40 odd years and your the first that's wished England well.:thup:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your right there Doon,ridiculous that some have us qualifying already, do they not remember Iceland? and others we should supposedly beat with ease and then struggle.

But I'm more hopeful this time with a good Squad, but more important a manager that's not from the dark ages:eek:

Doon are you sure your a Scot ? Because I've lived in Scotland for 40 odd years and your the first that's wished England well.:thup:

Nope I generally support English teams with the exception of Rugby, and that is more about their arrogant supporters than the team.

I did live in England for 30 years and I have an English wife. My daughters moved up after us about 15 years ago and both are now Scotland supporters.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nope I generally support English teams with the exception of Rugby, and that is more about their arrogant supporters than the team.

I did live in England for 30 years and I have an English wife. My daughters moved up after us about 15 years ago and both are now Scotland supporters.

Well your the exception :thup:

Sadly my son supports Scotland :thup:. Can't get my head around why your English Daughters would support Scotland.:whoo:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well your the exception :thup:

Sadly my son supports Scotland :thup:. Can't get my head around why your English Daughters would support Scotland.:whoo:

My youngest always seemed to support England.
She got caught out when she leapt off the chair and punched the air when Griffiths scored that second free kick.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did no one watch the draw? I've not seen any mention of Gary Linekers joke at Italy. As some Italian bloke was drawing out one pot of balls, Gary said, and I forget his exact words as I was laughing so much, It's good to see at least one Italian taking part in the World Cup.

Quality! :D

D

Deleted member 15344

I see the Tartan Army have chosen Iceland as their officially adopted WC team to follow.
Good choice.

:rofl:

That must be embarressing that their team isnt good enough to get to the finals so they "pick" someone else to support