Working out the css ??

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
How does it work ?

I've never really understood it but always thought it depended on the scores returned against the SSS :mmm: however today in our Wednesday sweep there were 32 players entered and only 3 players below the projected css 2 others on the css and every one else above it, so the question I have is, why is the css so low ??

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
How does it work ?

I've never really understood it but always thought it depended on the scores returned against the SSS :mmm: however today in our Wednesday sweep there were 32 players entered and only 3 players below the projected css 2 others on the css and every one else above it, so the question I have is, why is the css so low ??

What was the CSS ?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How does it work ?

It’s by reference to players making buffer. Not sure on precise calc mind.

Had an odd one on Saturday; stableford comp - winning score of 36 points, the SSS is 1 under par (I.e 37 points) and the CSS was 2 under par.

So although no-one shot under handicap, the CSS was a shot lower than the SSS simply because so many players hit the buffer.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
How does it work ?

I posted this last July:

"Competition Scratch Score (CSS) springs from the proportion of players in a competition achieving buffer or better.

For a course with Par 72 and SSS 72, the approximate proportions and resultant CSS are:

46% and over = CSS 71 (37 points)
23 to 45% = CSS 72 (36 points)
16 to 22% = CSS 73 (35 points)
10 to 15% = CSS 74 (34 points)
6 to 9% = CSS 75 (33 points)

Less than 6% =CSS 75 (33 points) (Reductions Only)"

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I posted this last July:

"Competition Scratch Score (CSS) springs from the proportion of players in a competition achieving buffer or better.

For a course with Par 72 and SSS 72, the approximate proportions and resultant CSS are:

46% and over = CSS 71 (37 points)
23 to 45% = CSS 72 (36 points)
16 to 22% = CSS 73 (35 points)
10 to 15% = CSS 74 (34 points)
6 to 9% = CSS 75 (33 points)

Less than 6% =CSS 75 (33 points) (Reductions Only)"

So the more that make the buffer the less the css will be and vice versa ? Is that correct ?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the more that make the buffer the less the css will be and vice versa ? Is that correct ?

Yes exactly.

Hence how in my example above, no one played to handicap yet because more than 46% of the field buffered, I got a plus 0.1 with 13 over par off 12!

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site

Correct. Note that the CSS can only go -1 vs the SSS. Also, those percentages tend to change a bit according to the field composition i.e. the proportion of Cat1/2/3/4/5 players in the starting field.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This explains a lot for the CSS at my club. It is consistently around 65/64 each week, and with a relatively small field playing makes sense as to why it is always so low.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
This explains a lot for the CSS at my club. It is consistently around 65/64 each week, and with a relatively small field playing makes sense as to why it is always so low.

Css can only go one below sSS in a completion. So it just means that when assessed the course as deemed ‘easy’ in comparison to par (assuming par is 68 or higher of course).

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

The scorecard on your club website states Par is 68 and SSS is 66 from white tees - it doesn't mention yellow tees. If your comps are played from white tees, CSS can only go down to 65.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The scorecard on your club website states Par is 68 and SSS is 66 from white tees - it doesn't mention yellow tees. If your comps are played from white tees, CSS can only go down to 65.

It has been 64 in 3 comps so far this year. One comp it was 67 and the others it has been 65. Would have to assume that the SSS on the card is wrong then.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was at the club this evening, it would look like the scorecard on the website is wrong. SSS on the cards in the clubhouse are at 65 and not the 66, so that explains it.

SSS is -3!! Wow! Is it an easy course? That’s silly low. Must be some very short par 5s?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its a 9 holer, only 1 par 5 at 442 yards. I suppose it is one of the easier courses around, I just haven't managed to figure it all out yet to be able to get the handicap down.

I didn’t mean any judgement on your ability btw. 😊