Work in progress - going the right way or not

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some of you will have read about my lesson last Monday and the pro trying to get me to turn the hips at impact and eradicate a total hip slide through the ball. The first video was the old swing from last year and I've made huge changes to the posture. However it is the impact position I'm interested in your comments on. The other two are from yesterday evening (I hadn't been feeling great so the tempo is a bit quick)

I think it is a much more solid position. I don't think it's there as I think there is still some lateral slide but I would be grateful of some constructive (and honest) observations (particularly Bob if he's around!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doi_JciPHps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuqvl20utn4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh5xwxWMGdQ

bigbiffa

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
definitely turning better homer, but you are tall m8, you gotta bend your knees more(like resting your bum on a barstool). this assists with the turn, because if your right leg locks you then cant clear your hips as you need to! im guessing in the last vid the ball went a touch right?
im a better coach than player !

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
You are still doing the bobbing apples thing with you head too homer, in the last video it bobs and pulls back by at least 3-4 inches. Has that been addresses or is it still the turn you are after.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Brendy

One thing at at time. I want to get away from the horrid hip slide in the first video to a more solid base to hit against which is coming. It was only a week ago and only the third practice session. It has been mentioned but its about solid foundations and tweaking from there.

I guess the question is the same as the OP - is it going the right way though. I take on board what bigbiffa said and I do need a touch more knee flex and a better start position with the feet open. I wasn't feeling great and was more interested in getting the feeling of a firmer left side.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
No expert by any means but being tall myself nearly 6ft3" I definitely agree with the above comment regarding Knee flex or lack of. Bend you knee's more and I guarantee you will get a more stable powerful action just my opinion for what it is worth

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
just my 2p, but your balance seemed a little off in that last one mate. Find a more stable position, I am only 5'8, so I have a good base. I agree that more flex in the knees might help support that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYSOwdWMJjE
This is a front on view from a lesson I had, it is very quick though, this was taken after a lesson to help remove my hip slide. Not sure if its much help to you though. but you can see i bend my knees! :)

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've said before Homer, it seems to me as though you are chasing your tail round and round in circles. If hitting off a solid base is what you are working on I can't see how you hope to do that whilst you are still bobbing and weaving out of every shot.

For my money, if you erradicated that then it would leave you with a constant to work on. The hip slide during the swing would produce one fault and one shape of shot that you could still work with. The bob & weave opens up every bad shot in the book, fat/ thin/ shank/ top etc.

In video 3 the butt end of the club and your hands look stuck under you a bit, your arms look as though they are bending to accomodate it there.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Some of you will have read about my lesson last Monday and the pro trying to get me to turn the hips at impact and eradicate a total hip slide through the ball. The first video was the old swing from last year and I've made huge changes to the posture. However it is the impact position I'm interested in your comments on. The other two are from yesterday evening (I hadn't been feeling great so the tempo is a bit quick)

I think it is a much more solid position. I don't think it's there as I think there is still some lateral slide but I would be grateful of some constructive (and honest) observations (particularly Bob if he's around!)

Comments :

1) You've always had a unique swing. As such, it's virtually impossible for anyone else to comment on constructively.

2) No matter how much effort you put in, you are never going to have a textbook swing.

3) You must be able to hit the ball reasonably consistantly with it to be going around in 11 over par.

4) Whilst I've never, honestly, dreamed about aquiring your swing, I'd swap your scoring ability tomorrow.

5) In answer to your op question, yes the left hip does look more solid nowadays.

6) But from the down the line shot, you look fantastic at the top of your backswing, but then move your head about a foot on the way down. From this angle, I don't think the impact position looks overly powerful.

Pause for change of direction......

A conversation I had a while back with Jamie.

He bumped into a guy he's known on and off for 20 years ( We'll call him Bob ). Bob has worked on his swing, and got himself down to 5. He used to have a swing that was considered to be all over the place, and he'd never get to cat 1. But after years of effort and lessons and swing changes he's really happy with where he is now.

Jamie took one look at his new swing, and to him it looked exactly the same as the original swing.

That was the point when I decided that I'm never going to get that perfect swing, or learn to hit the damn thing 300 yards, so I've made my peace with myself, and accepted that all I can do is make my body do what it does, but hopefully more consistantly.

I'm not going to stop having lessons, coz I enjoy them. But I'm going to lower my expectations of what I'm going to achieve out of them.

PS Stop going on about your tempo. There's nothing wrong with your tempo.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Jamie took one look at his new swing, and to him it looked exactly the same as the original swing.

Yep, that sounds about right - despite 11,456,401 swing changes over the years his swing was exactly the same as it had always been, despite working on another new thing the day I met him :)

There is a saying about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks, I prefer... "if you don't want to learn then you can't be taught".

19th

Head Pro
Visit site
Brendy

One thing at at time. I want to get away from the horrid hip slide in the first video to a more solid base to hit against which is coming. It was only a week ago and only the third practice session. It has been mentioned but its about solid foundations and tweaking from there.

I guess the question is the same as the OP - is it going the right way though. I take on board what bigbiffa said and I do need a touch more knee flex and a better start position with the feet open. I wasn't feeling great and was more interested in getting the feeling of a firmer left side.

There is not one thing in any golf swing, in my opinion, all parts are interdependant.

Your set up - head right over the ball - does not allow you to swing back into the shot with any power. Your brain knows this and therefore pulls your head up and back to offer the power from your torso, into the swing.
As stated, flexed knees will give a posture that will result in your head being back slightly from above the ball and this then will give your head more stability into the shot, putting less requirement on other areas to come in to compensate for this current head/back adjustment.

I would suggest it is at that stage you then fine tune your swing.

I feel you are putting 'go-faster' lines on your swing when your engine is not firing correctly!

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doi_JciPHps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuqvl20utn4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh5xwxWMGdQ
homer looked at first clip, whats the deal with your napper, it moves in such a weird way before impact. its like you are straighting up before impact. keep your head down. imo :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd say your on the right way Homer.
I think you should concentrate on curing the hook as that is adding lots of shots from OOBs and lost balls.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
before reading this thread, i had never seen you swing a club.

what i've seen above though is exactly as i imagined from your 10,000 posts on the subject... ie. you're thinking (10,000) too many swing thoughts and trying to execute every single one of them (10,000) in each swing.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
That is a weird looking golf swing, but not sure why.

Anyway:

The thing that says it all to me, is that 3/4 of the clip is you looking at the ball, and I can almost hear the cogs clunking away, right do this, then this, then this, then this. Then you look like you are hurrying to get it all done while you still remember it all.
There is way too much thought going on.

If that is your new swing, so be it. Don't have any lessons for at least two months, and practice it until it becomes natural. Until you can just walk up and whack it without thinking about it. Only then, will you find out if it works.

DubbleH

Visit site
I like the idea of the video. You might take away the club a bit slower and move through the ball as you strike it ... looks like you're leaning back a shade when striking the ball ... but, gulp, what would I know ... ??

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
homer2.jpg

Textbook

homer3.jpg

Unique

Aside..

If, as Bob has suggested, you are hooking it too much now you have stopped the hip slide, does that mean you could afford to weaken your grip a tad ?