Golfing in the land of the Gods - a Lofoten story

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Day 3 started off where day one began, 34 mph howling wind and absolutely hosing it down with rain. Not to be deterred, we headed over to the pro shop to check in. We were not the only insane idiots heading out to the course, there was already an elderly American out there, and the photographer chaps were getting ready to go again. We headed for the first….. bloody hell, wind straight in and rain like bullets, anyone at Cooden last year will have an inkling of the conditions. We were there, and unlikely to come back (although we will if we get a chance) so we just head out for a laugh. The conditions are ridiculous, no chance of any sensible scoring, so we just plotted our way round as best we could. I somehow managed to par the second again, we managed a few pars when the wind was behind, but it was bloody hard going. By the time we got to 15, Mrs Wedge was on auto pilot, unable to talk and barely able to walk, it was all we could do to get back in. FWIW, Galvin Green waterproofs, just aren’t. By the time we get in, we are both drenched to the skin, but after a hot chocolate in the clubhouse we’re sitting there with grins like the Cheshire cat, it was such an amazing course to experience.

We headed back to the lodge for change into dry, warm clothes, and a short rest, before heading out for a drive down to Henningsvaer. Gerry, the head greenkeeper had recommended it to us. It’s a quaint little fishing town set on a group of tiny islands, accessed through some large cuts in the rocks and a series of bridges. It’s famous amongst other things for the football pitch located on its own island. As it was late when we got there, most of the local stores were closed or closing, we just about managed coffee and cake in a local café.
View attachment 44523
View attachment 44524
We had more new guests in the lodge on our return for the last evening. This time a couple from the Czech Republic. He publishes a Czech golf magazine and is a mad links golf fanatic. They’ve done the southern islands and driven up to Lofoten Links, with a three day stay planned. He was an interesting drinking companion that evening as we finished off our beer and wine at the lodge after dinner. Unfortunately, the wind and rain put paid to any more Aurora’s, but we were not upset having seen them at first try.

After breakfast on Thursday morning, back to the pro shop to check out, one more lingering look at this amazing place, and then it was off on the 3+ hour drive back to Harstad and a two-hop flight home to Gatwick via Oslo. The drive back was just as awesome as the drive down, seeing more stunning views from the opposite direction.

View attachment 44525
View attachment 44526
View attachment 44527
View attachment 44528
View attachment 44529
I can honestly say that I haven’t stopped thinking about the place since we returned. I would love to go back and play again.

All I can say is go…. Sell your kids…. Sell your partners…. Re-mortgage the house… just do whatever you need to do to fund the trip, you will not regret the visit.
That has to be The best review ever on this forum. As good as the whole experience!
Thanks a lot for sharing - and such a good read - it's like I was there with you

????

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Photo shamelessly stolen from LinkedIn showing a shot taken on the 2nd, filmed at just after midnight

Attachments

• C134EC1E-E03C-4453-A47A-27223FB53960.jpeg
    C134EC1E-E03C-4453-A47A-27223FB53960.jpeg
    564.4 KB · Views: 30

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
For those interested in Lofoten, No Laying Up’s latest YouTube golf video (released today) is on Lofoten

Just watched it…… so many good memories flooding back. Nice to find out I beat Viktor Hovland’s 83 ….. twice ….. shot 80 in the wind on day 1 and 78 in the calm on day 2. I suspect our third round in a howling storm was a lot more though…… Can’t wait to go back and try again ?

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
And another pituresque photo from these stunning islands. 360* double rainbow this time. https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

FullCircleRainbow_Moesch_960.jpg