Woods and drivers

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Following on from my fitting question yesterday I would like to know if the same principle applies for woods.

I was told i need the club 3degrees upright and that this could be part of the reason i slice the ball. Now my woods and driver also have a slice as well so wondered if this was the case with them as well.

jeffc

Head Pro
Visit site
have you tried any clubs that are 3 degrees upright?

Suggest you try some first and see if you still slice because if you need to correct your swing and you spend all that cash having them fitted 3 degrees upright only to find they don't suit afterwards you might be a bit brassed off.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I haven't tried any clubs that are 3 degrees upright and i'm not expecting a quick fix by getting them.

I know i dont release my hands enough so this also makes me slice the ball.

I'm 6'2 though and pretty sure that I need the clubs lengthened one way or another.

I'm happy to try it out and see how it goes but from the fitting the other night i could see how the toe of the club was striking the ground.

jeffc

Head Pro
Visit site
at 6' 2" I see what you mean. I had same problem with the hands, came down to getting the hips moving though then the hands come through much better, get some great hooks now as well

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm getting there now with the hands but when i dont concentrate its a huge slap at the ball.

Anyway geoff not sure if you're a football man but i'm praying we beat the toon tomorrow.... our clubs as much of a shambles as yours.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
minty: Its much more relevent in your irons, as they make contact with the turf etc. If the club is too flat for you, the toe can contact the ground but the heel doesnt, meaning that the iron is possibly forced 'open' by the impact, meaning a pushed shot.

However, if you are 'slicing them', its more than likely a swing problem.

Its not so relevent with your woods as generally, they dont come into contact with the ground as much.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
3 degrees upright!!!! Never heard of an adjustment that significant, I would go for a second opinion I think.

Steve please fill me in if you know any different as I dont have a clue about fitting.

I bought my clubs bog standard so surely it wouldnt be impossible for me to be right at the other end of the fitting scale??? Although I'm led to believe 3 degrees isnt a huge difference.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
minty: Its much more relevent in your irons, as they make contact with the turf etc. If the club is too flat for you, the toe can contact the ground but the heel doesnt, meaning that the iron is possibly forced 'open' by the impact, meaning a pushed shot.

However, if you are 'slicing them', its more than likely a swing problem.

Its not so relevent with your woods as generally, they dont come into contact with the ground as much.

Thanks chris. As i said I do have trouble releasing my hands and my club comes outside the line slightly at the top of my back swing making me cut across the ball a tad.

All in all if i hit one of these shots which is probly 3 out of 10 i lose the ball about 20yds to the right of the target.... I'm working on it though and its getting better. I was slicing everything at one point.

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
3 degrees upright is a huge change to a club, especially as you are 6' 2"

I would get a lesson(s) and try and sort out any swing flaws. When you feel you are swinging reasonably well you can get the clubs checked.

It sounds to me like your clubs are being adjusted to compensate for a swing flaw. which is fine for some people, but the problem is it locks you into swinging that way. I'm guessing you are as serious as we all are at improving your game so that solution is not for you.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Steve i'm serious about the game, have been for sometime now.

My pro has suggested having them half an inch longer and 2 degrees upright. Whilst I agree I do have flaws in my swing.... dont we all? I wouldnt say i'm doing this as a quick fix.

If i had a pound for everytime someone said "your clubs look well to small for you" i'd be a very wealthy man.

I had a swing with a fella's clubs that we're half an inch longer than standard a few weeks ago and they felt alot more comfortable at set up.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
yeah would get them done they can always be tweaked again as for woods i know titleist are bringing out fairways and rescues with differnt lie angles,i struggle with rescue clubs for some reason so gonna give them a go when they come out

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your clubs do not sit correctly on the sole, you will find it very difficult to hit the ball consistently straight. FACT!!!

Its like hitting off a slope. Ball below feet, club is sitting with the toe below heel and your shots will go right (why do you think pro's tell you to aim left in this situation)

Click here for better demonstration

If the ball is above your feet the toe sits higher than the heel and your shots will go left( again why do you think pros tell your to aim right in this situation)

Click here for better demonstration

Dont believe me? address a club in the normal position, the tilt the club away from you pushing the handle outwards away from your waist, now look how the club face sits and imagine the ball coming off it in that posistion.

The best thing you can do, is find a proper custom fitting bay and have a session with clubs that are 3 degrees up right and (half?) an inch longer. If you get on well with these specs, bingo your laughin. If not, you may find, sorry you WILL find the perfect specs you need. prob only cost you betwwen £20-£30 for 30-45 mins.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am also 6ft 2, and have recently been cf'ed at Titleist. My new ZBs are 1/2" longer, and 2° upright. Apparently you can have AP2s up to 4° upright, but only 2° on ZBs (don't know why). My swing could have gone to 3° easily. I have noticed that since changing clubs my divots are much more even depth wise, so they are definately an advantage over my old clubs.

According to the guys at Titleist you don't change the lie angles with woods.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks murph... you're pretty much the same as me by the sounds of it (although your swing probly looks alot better).

I'm going for it, they're being done tomorrow.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
my mate is 4 1/2 upright in the ping i10s think its marroon dot very weird for me to hold,i thought most of new new fairways and hybrids in 09 are going to be lie and offset ajustable

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Steve i'm serious about the game, have been for sometime now.

My pro has suggested having them half an inch longer and 2 degrees upright. Whilst I agree I do have flaws in my swing.... dont we all? I wouldnt say i'm doing this as a quick fix.

If i had a pound for everytime someone said "your clubs look well to small for you" i'd be a very wealthy man.

I had a swing with a fella's clubs that we're half an inch longer than standard a few weeks ago and they felt alot more comfortable at set up.

Yes, I can believe longer will be better for you, 1 degree upright, maybe even 2 degree upright, but it was just that I have never heard of a club adjustment of 3 degrees.

I think the best course of action would be to go for the adjustment, but commit to getting the lies checked at regular intervals so your clubs can be adjusted to match your swing improvements.

jeffc

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm getting there now with the hands but when i dont concentrate its a huge slap at the ball.

Anyway geoff not sure if you're a football man but i'm praying we beat the toon tomorrow.... our clubs as much of a shambles as yours.
Hi Minty
yes am a footy man, potters through and through, I think you are confusing my Newcastle with them grim up north lads and a I wouldnt call a draw against the billionare scousers at Anfield a shambles tho. or maybe you're thinking of that other local team port fail.

Anyway about golf, if the fitting is free go for it if not perhaps have it done on the basis that if it needs adjusting again they do it for free.
Really though, as you say you are serious about golf get them lessons, a decent pro will make such a difference it did with me I am hitting a ball like I couldn't of dreamed of and I was looking in all the wrong places and the corrections were so simple.

It may seem a lot of money at around £100 for 5 or 6 lessons but just think that you pay about £6 or £7 quid at the range for 100 balls giving you about 12 - 15 buckets of balls and not solve the problem and possibly make things worse.

As you're a spurs man I assume you're down sowf so can't reccomend my guy but ask around see who other people reccomend and use.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Hi Minty
yes am a footy man, potters through and through, I think you are confusing my Newcastle with them grim up north lads and a I wouldnt call a draw against the billionare scousers at Anfield a shambles tho. or maybe you're thinking of that other local team port fail.

Anyway about golf, if the fitting is free go for it if not perhaps have it done on the basis that if it needs adjusting again they do it for free.
Really though, as you say you are serious about golf get them lessons, a decent pro will make such a difference it did with me I am hitting a ball like I couldn't of dreamed of and I was looking in all the wrong places and the corrections were so simple.

It may seem a lot of money at around £100 for 5 or 6 lessons but just think that you pay about £6 or £7 quid at the range for 100 balls giving you about 12 - 15 buckets of balls and not solve the problem and possibly make things worse.

As you're a spurs man I assume you're down sowf so can't reccomend my guy but ask around see who other people reccomend and use.

Apologies geoff, i didnt see the under lyme part.....

I do have a lesson every few months but i went through a stage of having far too much in my head and it was just getting me down so decided to take a more relaxed approach. I'm mates with the pro and play a couple of rounds a mon th with him so get plenty of swing tips and advise.

I'm hitting the ball fairly decent at the moment but this is now definitely the next step for me.