Wood or Rescue?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im not too sure of ball position etc. i only hit when its clear on the right side. any danger and i leave it in the bag!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I may be no expert, but the words "high handicapper", "off the fairway" and "3 wood" strike fear into my mind.

Being someone who started golf back in the days of small-headed drivers, the 3 wood was a club to save you from the perils of it's black sheep brother, the driver.

I learned to hit it off a medium low tee and certainly never went near it off the fairway until there was a good chance of success. I then graduated to a 2 iron to give me a choice off the tee.

It's pretty hard to nail a 3 wood, a lot depends on technique and swing style.

So, I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest you find a reliable club with more loft, whether that's a 4 iron or 3 iron hybrid, or 7 wood or whatever. Get good at that, then revisit the 3 wood.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm down the range later so will do a 3 wood video for you

thanks bob. i managed to hit a 190 yard 4 wood into the wind today on the 18th. i was on the 2nd's fairway mind you after a bit of a pushed drive. got down for par and 39 points. good days work!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Only 39 pts?
You need to get rid of that 4 wood and the 19 deg Mizzy and get some more wedges :lol:

39 points - i was beat on b.o.t - missed the opportunity to go to dungannon for the Darren Clarke Perpetual Trophy. talk about gutted :(

did you remember to make that "how to hit a wood" video?

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
39 points - i was beat on b.o.t - missed the opportunity to go to dungannon for the Darren Clarke Perpetual Trophy. talk about gutted :(

did you remember to make that "how to hit a wood" video?

I am looking forward to this video too Bob! Sorry to hear you missed out Gary.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
it was a real kick in the stones before heading out today. couldnt sink any putts today and missed a 8 incher on the 3rd. summed up my day. missed an eagle putt on 17th. first time ive ever been on that green in two. big draw drive then a well struck but still cutty 4 wood to 20 feet. wind assisted ;)

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it was a real kick in the stones before heading out today. couldnt sink any putts today and missed a 8 incher on the 3rd. summed up my day. missed an eagle putt on 17th. first time ive ever been on that green in two. big draw drive then a well struck but still cutty 4 wood to 20 feet. wind assisted ;)

I am sure you will do better after sorting out your wedges,good luck!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i would like to get a lend of a 54 vokey to try and see if i can learn to play low spinning shots around the greens. the technique is in this months GM. will give it a go once the greens get a bit of rain on them. them are like rock atm. that was why 39 was the winning score yesterday. its usually around 44 at my place. lol