Women's Open Woburn Friday or Saturday?

kandrew

Visit site
I spent yesterday at Woburn, it's the first time I have been there so did not know what to expect. I have to say it's a good looking course both from wanting to play it and from a spectators point of view. I spent the early part of the morning watching Charlie Hull s group and the group's around hers. Then once tired I sat in the grandstands on 12, it turned out to be a trickier hole than I expected for them, at least 6 balls in the water during the 45 mins I spent there. Finally I followed the korda, ko, Suzuki group. I doubt there were more than 30 other people following for for the first 6 or 7 holes. It's interesting how much more invested you become when following a group I've become a ko fan, although you see little emotion when she's in front of the camera, when she turns to her caddie you can immediately tell how she feels. The relationship between korda and her caddie is also interesting, a lot of positive comments regardless on how she is doing.

All in all an excellent day out.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Just got back from Woburn. Got there about 1.30 and followed the group of Buhai, Lopez & Olson. Some very good golf played - Buhai was incredibly solid, unfortunately I had to leave after hole 12 at which point she was only -2 for the day when it could have easily have been -4.

Lopez was a very slow player - quite frustrating to watch.

The course is in fantastic condition, very much looking forward to heading back on Sunday.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just got back from Woburn. Got there about 1.30 and followed the group of Buhai, Lopez & Olson. Some very good golf played - Buhai was incredibly solid, unfortunately I had to leave after hole 12 at which point she was only -2 for the day when it could have easily have been -4.

Lopez was a very slow player - quite frustrating to watch.

The course is in fantastic condition, very much looking forward to heading back on Sunday.

Lucky you weren’t watching Charley Hull watching her putt is murder

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just heard Charley's interview and mention of her fiance and his family being there...he's a cage-fighting gypsy so bet they cut an interesting group on the course!

GolfingPastor

Visit site
Had a great day out yesterday and it looks like my two lads now have the golf bug and are nagging me to take them to the range and putting green!
Woburn is stunning and would definitely be up for a game there in the future.

The players we watched were consistently straight with wood and iron but I have to say, I thought the standard of putting and touches around the greens was quite poor (far better than I could do though of course).

Danielle Kang played some beautiful shots, but was pushing the boundaries for casual attire for me- even my teenage lads said: "she looks like she's wearing joggers and a jumper!"
Lexi Thompson was crazy sloooooooooow!
Caroline Masson was a class act and while Carly Booth focused on her hair and poses, Masson just quietly got on with business.
Anne Van Dam hit some cracking woods and really went for it, but putter let her down a bit.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Won't be our last live golfing event!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We were up there for the afternoon yesterday. Mrs Wedge being Japanese, we followed Shibuno around. Got there just in time to see her lose the lead with a double bogey on the third. Hugely impressed with her play from then though, only turning pro last year, and her LPGA debut, she was really calm, smiling, laughing and interacting with the crowd. She played some great golf too, her driving was imaculate, straight and very long, possibly helped by playing softball before taking up golf. Massive drive to reach the green in one on the 12th when she was two shots behind. She had to wait on nearly every shot, but was always ready to play when it was her turn, a great example, and well deserved win.

On the down side, there were some incredibly slow players out the, Sallas and Park being two of the culprits. Watching Sallas on the par 3 6th, I'm sure she took nearly 5 minutes over her first putt, watching the pair of them was like having teeth pulled. That aside, we thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon. not least because of Shibuno's achievement.

U

User62651

Caught a good bit of the back 9 yesterday, very good quality golf and a tight finish.
Shibuno's putt on 18 would've gone 12' past she hit it that hard.
Winner's attitude was refreshing too, you don't have to be a soulless robot overly controlling your emotions to hit good golf shots.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was up there on Sunday and followed a few groups.
I think it is better than men’s golf to watch.

Much more relatable, and impressive to watch how the ladies plot round a course, rather than try and overpower it.

Would love to see more

sunshine

Visit site
I was there on Sunday too, was a great day out, and really well organised event. Took my 2 girls, who both had fun. I wasn't sure if my 6 year old would find it boring, but she really enjoyed it, had a golf lesson and now wants to do a golf camp next week.

Normally when I play a championship golf course, I stand on the white tees and look back at the tournament black / blue tees in the distance and wonder how they play from there. I was looking forward to see the pros playing I course I have played, from the same tees as me. I was surprised that the tees were up, mainly the yellows or reds. I just expected they would be playing a longer course given the quality of their ball striking.

As posted by others above, the way the women swing is more relatable to an amateur, it is incredible how efficient they are, really maximising ball speed with minimal effort. There is a really wide range of power compared to the men: the 17th was playing just over 150 yards and I saw players hitting everything from 9 iron to hybrid.

Only downside was pace of play. Some of the women were ridiculous, much slower than anything I've seen on the Men's tours (although I've not seen Na or Cantlay live!!!)