Women's Open Woburn Friday or Saturday?

GolfingPastor

Visit site
My two sons and I will be attending our first live golf event @Woburn this week. Just wondered if anyone had advice in which day would be best for us to go- Friday or Saturday?
Also, any tips for where we base ourselves would be much appreciated

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
friday should be a bit quieter than saturday on the course, the roads should be better on the saturday depending on where youre travelling from

assume they are playing the Marquess?

If so then walk down the first and the green at the bottom is the par 3 17th which is decent to watch from the back. From there Id walk out right and see a few of the holes on the front 9, down 3 then head across the next few holes and definitely head across to the par 5 7th (base yourself half way down at watch them drive left or right of the trees then watch their approaches).

After that Id probably find a group to follow for a bit then 12s a decent risk reward hole to watch, 14s a good par 3 then head for the finishing holes

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it was me I'd go Friday. All the players are still in the comp so you get to see everyone. You may also have less spectators as people will be at work. That makes it easier to see who you want, get good vantage points etc. Both days will be great I'm sure but Thursday or Friday would always edge it for me.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
The last time I went on the Sunday, had no problems watching any of the matches. Planning to go again this Sunday, unless I make the cut in the club champs on Saturday (highly unlikely at the moment :p). There's an open area at the back of the first that allows you to easily switch between the 1st, 4th and 17th greens, and the 4th, 6th and 18th tees without walking too far. you can also walk through a short bit of woodland to the 11th green and 12th tee. It's quite an easy course to cut around as a spectator.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Friday would probably be easier in terms of traffic and there will be the full field playing. Woburn is quite a good venue in terms of being able to cut through to different holes and not sure the crowds will be too big to make seeing the action too difficult wherever you go

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
My two sons and I will be attending our first live golf event @Woburn this week. Just wondered if anyone had advice in which day would be best for us to go- Friday or Saturday?
Also, any tips for where we base ourselves would be much appreciated

I'd always say Friday is the best day to go to a Golf tournament.

The tournament has had a chance to get going, so you can potentially elect to see some of the players that have gotten themselves into contention.
And the main players are still very much spread out so better chance of getting a decent view of the top players and those in contention.

By Saturday, there could only be 2 or 3 players pulling away from the field and everyone else is just going through the motions.

sunshine

Visit site
This is a useful thread for me - I'm taking my daughters but haven't decided whether to go on Saturday or Sunday! Any thoughts?

It will be interesting for me as I have played the course, and I am guessing the women will be playing from the same tees as I did.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I was up there for a few holes last night. One of my lad's is caddying there for the two Pro-am days, yesterday he was caddying in the group with Danielle Kang and Sarah Stirk, I followed them around for the last 4 holes. Danielle Kang strikes a mean ball, an absolute joy to watch. I also got the chance to have a little chat with Lydia Ko and her sister as I attempted to save them and another couple of people walking with them from getting hit by an errant shot - they had their backs to the ball coming in. Fortunately for her (not so for the chap), the ball bounced and hit the guy beside her right in the back. The players on the tee shouted fore, as well as myself, and I was only 5 yards away from them, but I guess because they were chatting, he didn't even hear me.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just home from a really enjoyable day at Woburn. Had hoped to support Meghan MacLaren (member at our club and I play with her Mum) but she was off at 6.41am! So got there for her back 9 and then dropped back to see a few more groups play the 18th. Managed to be fairly close to the tree Laura Davies hit on the 18th so watched her hack out into the rough and then hit a low hooky one close to the green. She was +9 at that point and a face like thunder. We walked up the 18th side by side as she stayed outside the ropes, but I didn't dare even look at her let alone say "chin up"!!

I love Woburn and the Marquess in particular so must treat myself to a round later this year.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Today was the first time that I had been to a pro golf tournament and despite going on my own, thoroughly enjoyed the day - I might even get a ticket for Sunday.
Woburn Marquis is a fantastic course and hopefully I'll get to play there in the next couple of years - currently £169 for a Mon-Thurs tee....BARGAIN lol!
It's my 50th is just under 2 years away....plenty of time to save some pennies and get LOTS of practice in!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Today was the first time that I had been to a pro golf tournament and despite going on my own, thoroughly enjoyed the day - I might even get a ticket for Sunday.
Woburn Marquis is a fantastic course and hopefully I'll get to play there in the next couple of years - currently £169 for a Mon-Thurs tee....BARGAIN lol!
It's my 50th is just under 2 years away....plenty of time to save some pennies and get LOTS of practice in!

Keep an eye on their website, spring/autumn time as they often do a better deal on their website if they have some quiet days

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I said the same. When she set up over the ball her legs looked very shapely, where they used to be chubby!

Yeah she was never fat,but definitely looks to have slimmed down.
Similar to Rory I suppose.

Love to hear her talk,comes across like she Is just having a knock with her mates.
But making a decent living from it 🤣

D

Deleted member 15344

Watched a bit this afternoon- just hard to get excited about the play , some lovely ball striking but it just felt robotic and no flair at all - really boring so left , will try again tomorrow

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Woburn is a great place to play. We haven't had a big GM meet there for a while so hopefully someone locally might get that particular event back on the schedules again. Found it very tough but well worth the effort

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just caught the highlights last night but will make time for live coverage over the weekend

Standard of play looked good (I s’pose it would on highlights) Maybe it lacked the drama of one of the favourites throwing a snowman out their ass on the 1st tee but no less enjoyable for that & seems like they are at least suitably prepared mentally, especially since it follows right on the heels of another Major

Should be a good weekend, lets hope the rain stays away

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I said the same. When she set up over the ball her legs looked very shapely, where they used to be chubby!

They do say the camera adds 10lbs.....

I sat on the table next Charley Hull in the Woburn clubhouse a few months back, and she was decidely slimmer to seeing her on the TV. Likewise, when I saw Sarah Stirk at Woburn the other day, she is also much slimmer than the TV makes her, and so much prettier in person too.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I met Charley on our local range - think it was last year...might need to get another photo with her to compare :)

20161221_111032.jpg