Women pay the same, but aren't allowed Saturday Morning Tee Times....

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jacko_G, The situation you describe has to be down to the club and the way they run their comps. Not ideal for anyone really other than the ladies who want to play in their own wee bubble. Going from other posts on here it does indeed look as if it is the ladies who have created their own wee bubble and want to live within that. To me that is not going to help the long term future of club golf. The traditional ladies day for ladies competition is great for women who are not working and can play on a thursday morning, have lunch and then head home. Trouble is, nowadays we have a lot of ladies who work and the chances they have to play in competition are greatly reduce if ladies comps aren't played at weekends.

Clubs are going to have to change the way they have run all their competitions in the coming years, what used to work years back will not necessarily be the ideal model going forward. It will take time, but, in ten year the Mixed Medal tee booking will be far more common, the men will play their medal and the ladies will play theirs, on the same day in the same time slot.
Thats not possible imo in most clubs .
as members of both sexes will not have enough daylight to play on one day.
Getting a tee time on sat is bad enough now , if they open it to the ladies it will make it harder.
I am all for equality but that means true equality not one made up to suit certain groups.
Most ladies at my club didn’t want equality but were steamrolled into it by some vocal ones that’s their own fault, they should have just voted them down.

So the club let them keep ladies day . And introduced a club medal for everyone on Saturday.
Even though only four ladies play in it!

Thats not equality.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thats not possible imo in most clubs .
as members of both sexes will not have enough daylight to play on one day.
Getting a tee time on sat is bad enough now , if they open it to the ladies it will make it harder.

So if you work all week and some ladies work all week and you both pay the same fees, why shouldn't the few ladies get the same chance of getting a tee time as you?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de

So the club let them keep ladies day . And introduced a club medal for everyone on Saturday.
Even though only four ladies play in it!

Aren't you contradicting yourself here a little bit? If there is only four ladies playing in the Saturday medal anyway, how is that making getting a tee time harder for anyone? What do you guys actually lose when there is a few women playing as well?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I managed to get a bit more information on this, so out of 34 Ladies 31 voted against gender neutral competitions, 2 voted for and there was 1 abstention. More Ladies attended the meeting than men so if they wanted the motion to be passed they could have easily got the majority. Shame the BBC did not get all the facts before they pulled out the discrimination card.
Wasn't this a Daily Mail story?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
We currently have 65 Ladies entered for this Thursdays competition and 182 men signed up for the Saturday competition with 13 reserves. Not enough hours in the day to all play on the one day.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So if you work all week and some ladies work all week and you both pay the same fees, why shouldn't the few ladies get the same chance of getting a tee time as you?
i never said they coudnt, quite the opposite I believe they should.
what I was trying to get over is we have 500 men and 100 women they can’t all play on the same day it’s purley numbers.

But I can’t play on Tuesday?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Aren't you contradicting yourself here a little bit? If there is only four ladies playing in the Saturday medal anyway, how is that making getting a tee time harder for anyone? What do you guys actually lose when there is a few women playing as well?
not much , but if the other ladies decide to start playing Saturday it’s about numbers.
I have already heard guys complaining that they can’t get a time now ( nothing to do with the ladies) we have more members than hours in the day.
If people can’t get a time they will go elsewhere.

I am all for equality but I can’t play Tuesday ,Which by the way was my day off before I retired! but there are NO restrictions on the ladies ,you can’t have it both ways.
That’s not equality as I know it.

simmb

Club Champion
Visit site
Wasn't this a Daily Mail story?

It's been in the news a lot on various sites but BBC were quickest to jump on the discrimination band wagon after the Tuesday vote :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/43981265

Anyway as previously mentioned the story has taken another twist. The owners of the course have overturned the vote so it's now a dictatorship and the members vote no longer has any standing.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
i never said they coudnt, quite the opposite I believe they should.
what I was trying to get over is we have 500 men and 100 women they can’t all play on the same day it’s purley numbers.

Is that likely to happen?

But I can’t play on Tuesday?

Neither can the lady who works but she cant play at the weekend either when there are comps on.

How many of the 500 men are retired and play during the week and at weekends and often pay less fees?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It's been in the news a lot on various sites but BBC were quickest to jump on the discrimination band wagon after the Tuesday vote :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/43981265

Anyway as previously mentioned the story has taken another twist. The owners of the course have overturned the vote so it's now a dictatorship and the members vote no longer has any standing.

Be interesting to see how that pans out and if it really can be enforced! The owners may own the freehold of the club & course but if the golf club has a constitution and democratic election committee, then the owners don’t really have any say on how the club is run internally, imo?

I think if the owners are allowed to enforce it even though it clearly goes against all the voting that has taken place, even by the majority of ladies, there will be an exodus of members leaving and possibly counter suits against them!

What a can of worms, and all because of what clearly comes across as someone on a single crusade.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Neither can the lady who works but she cant play at the weekend either when there are comps on.

How many of the 500 men are retired and play during the week and at weekends and often pay less fees?

The easiest way around that, would be, for the monthly/medal comp to be wheeled out over the weekend, keeping it as a men’s comp on the Saturday by linking it with a men’s board so it has its own identity but the general monthly/medal comp being able to be played also on Sunday with mixed tees.

But I bet she would still complain about that!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Bob, that's not what is being argued. Equality has it's place in work, life and our sporting clubs. Where is the equalty in ladies being allowed to enter "men's" monthly medals yet men can't enter the ladies medals?

D

Deleted member 21258

I think all tee times should generally be available to all and you enter a comp by paying before you go out. I don't generally agree to tee times blocked out, unless it is a roll up open to all members or a major comp.

When I read about there isn't enough tee times for all the men /people to enter that wish to, surely the simple solution is to do the above and run the competition over various days, that would solve that problem easily.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

1 It’s already happening as some members can’t get a tee time.

2 What’s that got to do with equality. The said men can’t play on a Tuesday until after the ladies comp but they CAN play in the sat comp and so can the ladies , How is that equal.

Turn it round Woman plays Tuesday comp and Saturday but man is working and can’t get a tee time Saturday,is that fair

equality means EQUAL it’s got nothing to do with working or not.

Comps should be available to all members every day!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
My suggestion would be to reserve half a weekday for stuffy old ladies who don't want to play with guys anywhere near and another half weekday for stuffy old men who don't want to see any skirts on the course. And the rest of the time, especially on the weekends, everybody should be allowed to play. You can still keep the ranking in the comps separate, if that is deemed absolutely neccessary (even though it really should not be), but women and men can still play the course at the same time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My suggestion would be to reserve half a weekday for stuffy old ladies who don't want to play with guys anywhere near and another half weekday for stuffy old men who don't want to see any skirts on the course. And the rest of the time, especially on the weekends, everybody should be allowed to play. You can still keep the ranking in the comps separate, if that is deemed absolutely neccessary (even though it really should not be), but women and men can still play the course at the same time.

Ha ha. Spot on.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

The only problem with that, is that although it it appears to make sense, we in Britain have already demonstrated that we won't be bamboozled by ludicrous continental ideas ... :)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-club-BAN-women-playing-Saturday-morning.html

Hopefully the link works.

£860 a year, but not allowed to play on Saturday.

Any other clubs like this?

Played with a bloke on Saturday who is a member at the course in the article.

It seems that they alternate comps each weekend across the 2 courses. The complainant doesn't consider the second course as worth playing...they are NOT not allowed to play on Saturday, it is just that the comp is on the other course every other week. The same applies to the men!

Move along

simmb

Club Champion
Visit site
Played with a bloke on Saturday who is a member at the course in the article.

It seems that they alternate comps each weekend across the 2 courses. The complainant doesn't consider the second course as worth playing...they are NOT not allowed to play on Saturday, it is just that the comp is on the other course every other week. The same applies to the men!

Move along

The way it has been reported is just misleading in every aspect. As you mention the comps switch regularly between the two courses and anyone is free to book a time on the other course. It's not like one course is better than the other, they are both good courses and both maintained to the same standard.
It's all gone a bit quiet on this now, the overruling of the vote by the owners has meant the committee is now lighter on numbers than it was last week. I can't see anyone stepping up either as what's the point if the members vote does not count for anything.