Women pay the same, but aren't allowed Saturday Morning Tee Times....

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
No sure what this has to do with the topic but I like MOST of the male membership at our club feel the same way.

There is an old Chinese proverb, just because you may be offended, doesn't mean you're right.

Not found the ignore yet! I'm not offended and agree that your feelings sadly reflect many male golfers. Just because you feel a particular way doesn't make you right and it be the truth...you carry on though as nothing I say or do would change your opinion.

DCB

Visit site
In my experience the ones who aren’t open to change are the ladies members who don’t wish as a section to play with men - they refused flat to allow men to enter their medals and Stablefords.

It's not about women playing with men or vice versa, it's about having the right to play on the course as equals. If a Club has a category of Ordinary member, open to both men and ladies, both should have equal playing rights on the course. The days of Thursday being Ladies day should be long gone IMO. How are we expecting young teenage girls to play golf if they see barriers to playing ahead of them ? The restricted ladies membership categories will die out as their members pass on. Time will tell, but, if we don't accept change on this front, we are seriously reducing the chances of golf being able to attract younger people.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Full male members at my club cannot play until 1230 on Tuesdays,Ladies Day.
The lady members who opt for Full Membership can however play on Saturdays in the middle of the Mens Competition.
Whatever this is ,it is not equality.
A s Phil says above, the ladies drive this odd situation and the few of them that are full members seem to have no consideration for the sisterhood who are quite happy to be Resticted Members.
Many older male members myself included would prefer to have a FiveDay Category as would a lot of our women members buft this was removed as an option to accommodate the few women who wanted 7 day access to the course.
In no way is this equality in. my opinion .

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think what also happens at clubs is the ladies during the week have a day every single week set out for their comps when men are not allowed to play

Our course it’s a Tuesday . Recently I changed the weekend comps to allow it to be open to everyone but the ladies wouldn’t allow men to play theirs

So now and I suspect it’s relevent at a lot of clubs ladies can play 7 days a week where as men is 6

We seem to have this problem too, the ladies are gradually infiltrating a lot of the traditional mens comps but its a closed shop the other way round

D

Deleted member 15344

It's not about women playing with men or vice versa, it's about having the right to play on the course as equals. If a Club has a category of Ordinary member, open to both men and ladies, both should have equal playing rights on the course. The days of Thursday being Ladies day should be long gone IMO. How are we expecting young teenage girls to play golf if they see barriers to playing ahead of them ? The restricted ladies membership categories will die out as their members pass on. Time will tell, but, if we don't accept change on this front, we are seriously reducing the chances of golf being able to attract younger people.

The days of Ladies Day are not long gone - far from it unfortunately but you are right they should be - I know every course in this area has a Ladies day and I expect that would be the same for a great amount of courses all over the country - and the reason they are not long gone is because the ladies don’t want them gone

Again from experience the barriers being put up for the young girls are from the lady members. I have seen barriers put up to stop a junior girl playing in the Ladies Club Champ because she won it with ease and they didn’t like it , I have seen the ladies put in barriers to stop ladies who work from playing in any major Comp but I have never seen a ladies restricted membership category. In local clubs they pay the same but have a bigger access to the course

D

Deleted member 16999

Our small problems have been just about solved with BRS, Men, Ladies, Seniors and Juniors book their Comps on the system, anything outside a comp is open to all, including visitors.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
An old club of mine had BRS and all the men had to book in a few weeks before to get the Saturday slots as they were extremely popular.

The women for some reason got automatic slots booked in at prime time Saturday morning...

How in anyway is that fair

D

Deleted member 16999

An old club of mine had BRS and all the men had to book in a few weeks before to get the Saturday slots as they were extremely popular.

The women for some reason got automatic slots booked in at prime time Saturday morning...

How in anyway is that fair
Its not, our Comp Sec enters the Comps and timings onto BRS before the season starts and after talking to relevant section Captain. Unless it’s an actual bona fida comp, it’s open season.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Its not, our Comp Sec enters the Comps and timings onto BRS before the season starts and after talking to relevant section Captain. Unless it’s an actual bona fida comp, it’s open season.

OK mate your club sounds a fairer system

Every club has different procedures

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I was a member at Hillside this was always a big debate. The women always complained that they couldn't play Saturday, however they had their own time Tuesday. The problem was they paid no where near the fees the men paid.

It's simple. If women want to be able to play all the time, they pay the same fees as men. There's no reason you can't run a women's and men's competition at the same time, with mixed groups.

If they want to pay less fees, they get fewer tee times.

I don't know why this is still so hard in this day and age.

D

Deleted member 16999

OK mate your club sounds a fairer system

Every club has different procedures
Prior to BRS we seemed to have had a lot of issues, I think that was down to lack of visibility when some comps were on.

D

Deleted member 16999

Why do women have specific times, men don't at our club but the women do.
Probably so the men who moan about women can see when they are playing and avoid them.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I was a member at Hillside this was always a big debate. The women always complained that they couldn't play Saturday, however they had their own time Tuesday. The problem was they paid no where near the fees the men paid.

It's simple. If women want to be able to play all the time, they pay the same fees as men. There's no reason you can't run a women's and men's competition at the same time, with mixed groups.

You do realise that post equality legislation (at my club at least not sure it's the same everywhere?) that ladies do pay the same as men but the situation re access to the course at weekends remains unchanged yes?

It's a bugbear of mine at my own club tbh, hopefully in time things will improve. There is a difference between equality and equity that seems to have been missed by (some, mine included) golf clubs.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's not just the women that are short changed. At my place seniors have their comp on Monday mornings, which means I can't play Monday morning. Ladies day is Tuesday morning, so Tuesday morning I can't play. Juniors play Wednesday evening..... Ladies have an hour Sunday morning.... So no complaints from me about men's comp every other Saturday morning.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Numbers !
Theres no way men and women at my club would be able to play in the comp Saturday as there’s just not enough tee times, daylight.

Its hard enough to get a time on sat.
The ladies have Tuesday for their comp .
A few ladies wanted parity but most of them didn’t.
I can’t play Tuesday, ladies can’t play sat until comps have finished.
Its cost the ladies a lot of money for equality but gained nothing.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You do realise that post equality legislation (at my club at least not sure it's the same everywhere?) that ladies do pay the same as men but the situation re access to the course at weekends remains unchanged yes?

I'm currently not a member of a club, but know of at least 3 in the surrounding area to me that women pay less than men. I'm not even sure they have the option to the pay the same amount (which is wrong).

I don't see why men have a problem sharing the tee times with women who pay an equal amount. I also don't see why women who pay less at clubs, and want to continue playing less, think they should have equal playing time.

simmb

Club Champion
Visit site
From what I can gather there were two votes on Tuesday, first was to make the competitions gender neutral, the second was to allow the Ladies to book tee times during the Men's competition slot on a Saturday morning.
The first vote was apparently a "No" by both the Ladies and the Men, all seem happy with the current competition setup. The second vote is the one that seems to be making the news and I am not sure why.
Cottrell park has two courses, so it's not a case of the Ladies can't play on the weekend they want the right to play in the 4 hour block booking that is reserved for the Men's Saturday competition. Any full member can play the course that is not hosting the competition and they can also play before and after the Men's competition on the same course. So question is, if both Male and Female voted against gender neutral competitions this is basically an argument over Saturday morning tee times and not the sexist outdated golf club attitude that the news articles are portraying.