Winter Rule's

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi,
Was having a knock about yesterday, on the way round we ( we were a two ball) we caught up with a two ball and then joined up to make a four ball.

Now playing winter rules, when we were when on the short stuff we were picking up and cleaning then placing within 6 inches.

Now on the fairways we have a lot of worm castings, so when one the lady's cleaned her ball she would if possible tee it up on one of them, so she could hit her woods better, is it ok to do this?

It didn't matter score wise as none of us were keeping a card but can you do this when putting a card in?

Cheers

Dellboy

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't think it is against the rules but I don't see the advantage. A bit of the cast might stick to the ball and affect it's flight. Much better to find a nice bit of grass. I have to say though that once or twice yesterday there wasn't a decent lie within 6 inches of my ball.:mad:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it's within the rules to place it on top of poop!

Another question though. I was playing with a stickler for the rules type today - funny how they seem to be the ones that bend them when it suits. Had a debate about the "medal card" he asked me to mark and then went ob on the 11th and decided it wasn't to be submitted...but that's not my point!!

He picked and placed and then picked and placed again more than once as he was unhappy with its first new placement. I thought the ruling was it could only be placed once and not re-placed but he felt it was acceptable until he moved his marker - as per on the putting surface...

I read the rule on the notice board afterwards and think I'm right - any thoughts??

As for the "medal card" that became a card being marked "just for interest" - well I pushed as hard as I felt I could and his excuses were lame but in the end I let it go - he knows I know...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Once he has put the ball down it is "in play". If it rolls from where he has placed it, into a shite lie...tough luck.
He was wrong AmandaJ

Thanks Smithy. I did question him and he said he would check afterwards but was adamant he was correct. I'll be sure to put him right next time but didn't want to push it as I wasn't 100% sure...

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't just go on smithys word alone, get a 2nd opinion

Hmm Bob do you have some fiendish arcane Rules Decision up your sleeve?

Rule 20-4 - When Ball Dropped or Placed is in Play, says

"If the player’s ball in play has been lifted, it is again in play when dropped or placed.
A substituted ball becomes the ball in play when it has been dropped or placed."

Decision 20-4/1 Ball Replaced on Putting Green But Ball-Marker Not Removed; Ball Then Moves, says

"Q. A player replaces his ball on the putting green but does not remove his ball-marker. Subsequently the wind moves his ball to a new position. What is the ruling?

A. Under Rule 20-4, a ball is in play when it is replaced, whether or not the object used to mark its position has been removed. Consequently the ball must be played from the new position – see Decision 18-1/12. "

The specimen local rule for “Preferred Lies” and “Winter Rules” says

“A ball lying on a closely-mown area through the green (or specify a more restricted area, e.g. at the 6th hole) may be lifted, without penalty, and cleaned. Before lifting the ball, the player must mark its position. Having lifted the ball, he must place it on a spot within (specify area, e.g. six inches, one club-length, etc.) of and not nearer the hole than where it originally lay, that is not in a hazard and not on a putting green. A player may place his ball only once, and it is in play when it has been placed (Rule 20-4). If the ball fails to come to rest on the spot on which it is placed, Rule 20-3d applies. If the ball when placed comes to rest on the spot on which it is placed and it subsequently moves, there is no penalty and the ball must be played as it lies, unless the provisions of any other Rule apply.

If the player fails to mark the position of the ball before lifting it or moves the ball in any other manner, such as rolling it with a club, he incurs a penalty of one stroke."

I have highlighted the key sentences which suggest that Amanda's playing partner was wrong and (cue drum roll and fanfare) Smiffy is RIGHT! :lol:

Of course on the green you have the right to mark and lift your ball at any time (Rule 16-1b).

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
As for the "medal card" that became a card being marked "just for interest" - well I pushed as hard as I felt I could and his excuses were lame but in the end I let it go - he knows I know...

He was also out of order on this one too. CONGU Decision 2(c):

All cards must be returned in Qualifying Competitions, whether complete or not.

and

It is expected that every player who enters an 18 hole Qualifying Competition intends to complete the round.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You CAN tee it up on worm poop but seeing as it's against the rules to 'press' the ball down or tap anything (apply pressure) whilst placing a ball it is likely that the ball SHOULD fall off the poo.... and then be in play. You cannot pick the ball up and try again unless it has rolled beyond the permitted 6" allowance.

Play the ball as it lies is THE essence of the game... teeing it up isn't really remaining true to that philosophy.