Winter lighting

dougajmcdonald

Club Champion
www.dougmcdonald.co.uk
So, winter is rolling in and the light is fading before many of us get home.

What is your best advice to practice when the light is low?

I'm seriously considering a halogen light in the back garden. Has anyone got any experience with halogen lights and whether this would work? (Ideally portable versions).

Thoughts appreciated

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So, winter is rolling in and the light is fading before many of us get home.

What is your best advice to practice when the light is low?

I'm seriously considering a halogen light in the back garden. Has anyone got any experience with halogen lights and whether this would work? (Ideally portable versions).

Thoughts appreciated

Personally I'd find a well lit range with decent mats and balls. Far less hassle

dougajmcdonald

Club Champion
www.dougmcdonald.co.uk
Unfortunately there isn't a lit range for 30 miles near me and I was hoping for something I could nip into the garden and use for 20 minutes etc.

Will have a look at the cost of LED options, any ideas what kind of wattages are needed for a decent view?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately there isn't a lit range for 30 miles near me and I was hoping for something I could nip into the garden and use for 20 minutes etc.

Will have a look at the cost of LED options, any ideas what kind of wattages are needed for a decent view?

The wattage of LEDs is approx one tenth of the equivalent halogen. Your standard outdoor halogen light is 300/500w, so you can have the equivalent of a 1000w floodlight for the wattage of a normal household bulb.

http://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk/led-floodlights.html

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I sell led lighting for a living so can say with confidence you get what you pay for. Don't be fooled by wattages as this doesn't really translate in led, look for/at lumen outputs. I've seen decent 10w led floods produce more lumen outputs than cheaper 20w models.

Regarding warranty - most branded products will offer atleast 3years, the cheaper brands don't. You don't have to spend hundreds, just buy right with a product that has an A bin chip, ;)

With regards to life span, due to the process of manufacture an led will normally fail within the first month if its going to fail, if not expect atleast 5 years - 10 years as an expected life.

Any questions on product drop me a pm, but I'd strongly advise " box shifters " if you want something decent

Last edited: