Winter League Bias??

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
UPDATE:

5 matches into the winter league and we are still winless.
This week we had to give guys 14 and 13 shots respectively over the 12 holes.
They managed 7 net birdies :confused:

Then you find out they play 3 comps a year badly to keep their handicap live and can easily play to 4-5 shots better through the winter. temp greens and I'm on a rest period.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Our Winter League is a 'GOLD LETTER' comp and keenly faught for. As a previous winner I rate it as one of my (and my partners) best results at my club !

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm playing in our Winter league with my buddy off 18. On any hole my job off 8 is to get the par to enable my partner to use the 9 shots I give him to try for gross pars and nett birdies - with me taking the pressure off him.

I don't view winter 4BBB matches through my eyes, but through the eyes of the two of us. And for me - when against a pair of higher handicappers my main opportunity to contribute wins is on par 3s when the opposition players generally don't get shots (well not on all the par 3s :) )

Twissy22

Visit site
We play doubles matchplay full course 0.9 difference. We do well for first 4 or 5 matches when the course is still full length. Then when the course is shortened in January we find it near impossible to win a match against the higher handicappers. Such an advantage for them. Often I birdie a shot hole and still lose or at best get a half. We played 2 under par today against 16 and 20 handicapper and still only managed a half. We both play off 9 and both probably slightly better than 9 both been down to 7 at one point. Been the same for years, win our first 4 lose second 4 matches. I think if the course is shortened should be 0.75 or maybe less 0.4 or 0.5. it's the same with stablefords, often 48-50 points from higher handicappers, playing off single figures it's near impossible to get that many points would need to be 7 or 8 under par. Does anyone club do anything to reduce this massive unfairness Inthe handicapping?