winter greens

B

birdieman

Holes are shorter and winter greens are very slow so there's little break in the putts, just hit them all firm and straight. That combined with no rough in winter and preferred lies mean it is easier to score on winter courses and greens. Sorry!

ball_basher

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i think winter greens are actually making me play with more accuracy on my approach shots , with the greens being smaller it helps me focus on my target better and i have now worked out how to put on them , lets just hope its good practice for the summer !!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
The thing I like about winter greens that makes the game easier is that the overhit shot into the green has a good chance of staying on the green rather than going through the back.

not on the course I was on Saturday!
The greens were frozen, hard as a rock and vibrated if a ball was dropped onto them. Nothing stopped.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think the winter greens play 4 to 5 shots easier over the round, so 40/41 points stableford is about level. Better than this and you are playing well (for the conditions).

On my course recently we have had some outrageous scores on temps. Some one in my swindle got 50 only two weeks ago. My 44 was no where.

Ronnoc1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We play on our greens all year round and they are some of the best around come the summer dont ask me how.

if someone can tell me how to upload a picture i will show you the 8th green at my course on sunday -5.5!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Royal Ascot has a policy this year of resting 3 greens in rotation from Monday-Friday and only using the full 18 on weekends. Have to say it is noticeable how much better they are looking this year.

The thing our members forget is the old Royal Ascot had established greens decades old. The new course is not even 4 years old yet and suffered when it was opened with some form of infection which caused damaged and didn't help growth.

Now this have been eradicated in the most part the greens are pretty good. They aren't perfect but for such a new course they aren't bad. Give them a few more years to settle and with more care over the winters they will be top notch.

Incidentally one of my mates played the West Course at Wentworth the other Saturday. Several temporary greens (the 2nd was at the bottom of the hill - only a flick with a sand iron) and the regular greens were tined, bumpy and patchy.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Winter green cups are normally double size! (not always) but just to even things out. The short course i play on plays on normal greens all year round and they are some of the best greens i have ever seen. No idea how they keep them so well!

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
mrully, without knowing your course I would say winter greens can be a mixed bag. Agree that there is very little break however conditions can be very hard to predict ball reaction.

If your playing well on them take that confidence into the summer season, don't think that because the cup is smaller you won't be as good...