Winter Golf

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Soft golf balls are good I find in the winter.

Callaway supersoft are cheap and feel normal in the cold temps.

But too squishy in summer.

Plus you don’t need super spinning balls. Greens are too wet or hard generally on a parkland to warrant the cost of decent balls

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The Primark Gilet’s come out.
I’ll drop driver for 3 Wood as carry more consistent and I’ll not use much lift for my wedges (or at least that’s the plan).

Contemplating getting a waterproof carry bag and I usually carry during winter.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
equipment wise the same, though the odd game i carry and take a half set. also tend to use any old ball once we go on the winter course as by they the greens are pretty soft and even a rock will stop.

Wolf

Visit site
I've always gone for using a pencil bag with a stand in the winter, wear trackie bottoms under my waterproof trousers as saves muddying normal trousers and is nice and warm.

Layer up on top, good old school bobble hat and a pair of mitts

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I play all year round so for me now it's just standard routine.

I have a pair of DryJoys with Pro-Stinger spikes that I use specifically in Winter as on our hilly course it they give me more grip.
Waterproof socks (from Aldi).
I normally use a GoKart but if it's really wet I change to a carry bag with a half set (Maxfli Revolution oversize - only because I got a set cheap and always hankered after them).
For balls, I generally use my old pick-ups over the winter.
Fairway mat as we go into fairway protection soon (awaits the big debate on this one).
Good Under Armour winter trousers
Thermals and a peaked wooly hat to keep the low sun out of my eyes.
Rain Grip gloves I have all year around anyway.

I think that's it.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Probably switch to a carry bag, with 8 clubs in. Will be using Bridgestone E6 golf balls I picked up for £5 a dozen earlier in the year!

Possibly change putter to something slightly heavier too!

Drop either the 4 wood or 3 iron. Then work down the bag from there.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've always gone for using a pencil bag with a stand in the winter, wear trackie bottoms under my waterproof trousers as saves muddying normal trousers and is nice and warm.

Layer up on top, good old school bobble hat and a pair of mitts

Great tip !(y)

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Expensive? Get on the bay. Unreliable? You've got the wrong one.
Interestingly a mate recently bought a reconditioned (hopefully - as opposed to knicked) Stewart one off the bay for £300 or so.

Have to say I'm interested. Don't NEED one but still interested and could justify that price to the other half eaiser than the full price!

In terms of reliability, I've heard of a few issues lately but then again my Motocaddy M3 just cost a fair bit to repair so who knows... My thoughts were the more gadgets/more complicated it is the more there is to go wrong.

Presumably there's a manual option to freewheel it if it breaks down on the course?

D

Deleted member 15717

Course I play at will never become too wet to stop a trolley being used, and will always carry a full set with me whether I carry or trolley (my preference changes on a weekly basis throughout the year!). I may add a woolly hat if it is that cold, but not too much else will change.

Same sh*t, different day!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I need to decide whether I should play with the grain or across it. :confused:

Fa6gfSP.jpg