Winter Golf

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Do you make any specific changes to your winter golf, ie, go to carry bag, change the ball you use, carry less clubs etc.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
No I go with the same as I carry in the summer with the addition of snood, mitts, and a couple of other bits for warmth.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The flippant answer is I make one specific change - I don't play.

:)

But if I do go out for a knock on an unusually mild day its carry a half set (or less), balls that I've scuffed beyond playable in the summer and a complete change in short game in both technique and expectation. I like hard, bare lies because my pitching/chippng technique uses the bounce, so in winter I'll fat it all day long if I don't change. I tend to take PW and catch it clean, keep it low and because it's wet ground and not my usual game I lower my expectations accordingly and don't get annoyed if I leave myself a 30 footer where in summer I'd expect >10.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really, unless enforced - e.g. carry bag when there's a trolley ban. I will also go back and use up some of the cheaper two piece balls I bought ages ago and didn't finish before switching to a 3 piece in the summer. Other than that, just extra layers etc.

D

Deleted member 21258

Loft up the driver for ore carry and setup differently with it, to hit up more.

Put more cloths on.

Failing that the same.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends which course I'm playing.

Heathland (sand based) - not really

Parkland (clay based) - generally carry instead of using trolley as can't be doing with cleaning mud etc off it after every round

Apart from base layers, snood and waterproof socks it's all the same...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was a time when I switched to graphite shafted irons. They require less effort to get the same distance.

Reduce my expectations particularly with regards to distance by as much as 3 club lengths.

Switch to a 'winter' golf ball, more because of the slower pace of the greens.

Lighter weight and smaller bag because I do not need to carry extra clothes , they are all already on my body.

D

Deleted member 16999

Snood, mitts and sealskinz socks, carry bag with a few clubs dropped.
Always the same clubs dropped? If so, why?
I normally change to a carry bag and keep 14 Clubs, considering only carrying 7-8 Clubs, thereby forcing me to, hopefully, play with a bit more thought and to try different shots.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always the same clubs dropped? If so, why?
I normally change to a carry bag and keep 14 Clubs, considering only carrying 7-8 Clubs, thereby forcing me to, hopefully, play with a bit more thought and to try different shots.

If I am carrying (with a dodgy shoulder joint !) I struggle with 14 clubs, I will often take out the 3 wood, 5 iron, gap wedge and something else depending on how badly I played the previous time, I have gone down to 8/9 clubs with no noticeable difference in scoring.

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
If I had to carry i’d drop down to 8 clubs and make sure my bag was as minimal as possible. Fewer spares etc.

Other than that I stick a fleece or shell jacket on and my work beanie hat.

That’s it.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The flippant answer is I make one specific change - I don't play.

:)

But if I do go out for a knock on an unusually mild day its carry a half set (or less), balls that I've scuffed beyond playable in the summer and a complete change in short game in both technique and expectation. I like hard, bare lies because my pitching/chippng technique uses the bounce, so in winter I'll fat it all day long if I don't change. I tend to take PW and catch it clean, keep it low and because it's wet ground and not my usual game I lower my expectations accordingly and don't get annoyed if I leave myself a 30 footer where in summer I'd expect >10.

Excuse my ignorance, but I've always thought that that was a bad combination. :unsure:
The danger being that the club could bounce into the ball as you cant get to the bottom of the ball on a hard, bare lie.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance, but I've always thought that that was a bad combination. :unsure:
The danger being that the club could bounce into the ball as you cant get to the bottom of the ball on a hard, bare lie.

Maybe I’m describing it badly, but off a hard bare lie I take a very shallow (if any) divot with a clean shallow pitching action, balls in the middle to front of stance. I always assumed I was using the bounce that it didn’t dig in. This is opposed to the stepper action in winter where, ball back, I’m purposely using the leading edge into the ground - I wouldn’t think I’m using the bounce then at all but feel free to correct! In both cases I’m trying to catch the ball first but the second removes the possibility that I’ll fat it. I’ve way less control but like I say it’s the price I pay for not playing enough winter golf to develop something more elegant

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I can't carry because of a bad neck so I carry 14 clubs in my normal bag. The greens have white lined "no go" areas in the winter so I'm really pleased I have my remote control trolley to save me a lot of walking. I can also keep my hands in my pockets while working the remote control. Why remote control trolleys aren't more popular I just don't know. Saying that, haven't we just had a thread on that subject?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Spikes instead of trainers.
Lightweight carry bag with a half set.
Pearl lake balls instead of new. Yellow for visibility.
Uniqlo down gillet.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'll still use my electric trolley and if the course is too wet to allow these then it probably shouldn't be open and I wouldn't want to play anyway. The only time I don't play is if we get a heavy frost and go to temp greens. I never enjoy firing into a flag on a fairway, getting random bounces and the lottery of putting. I'd rather go to a range and work on my swing or go the practice ground and do something like working on my pitching carry distances where the bounce doesn't matter as long as it's landing at my marker. I'll also put spikes in a pair of older shoes in case it gets a little wet/slippery

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nope, apart from digging out the winter clothing. Motivation is the big problem so tend to practice more. Do enjoy firing at the flags safely knowing the ball will stop - conversely it always takes me a few weeks to get it through to my thick head that the ball won’t run out on greens and I’m always short 🤬

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Usually drop down a level of ball - can see the Tour Softs getting a bit of use this term.
Other than that and an extra layer it's business as usual.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I can't carry because of a bad neck so I carry 14 clubs in my normal bag. The greens have white lined "no go" areas in the winter so I'm really pleased I have my remote control trolley to save me a lot of walking. I can also keep my hands in my pockets while working the remote control. Why remote control trolleys aren't more popular I just don't know. Saying that, haven't we just had a thread on that subject?
Expensive and unreliable?