Waterproof jackets and carrying

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't usually carry over winter so just wondering if a waterproof jackets tend to leak where the carry straps sit across the shoulders?

If they do which waterproofs are better and any to avoid ?

Ta.

RichA

Visit site
It's just the nature of breathable waterproof fabric. Where your carry straps rest on your shoulders the weight and rubbing forces the water through, however good it is.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think this is a common theme - hikers with rucksacks have the same issues. But honestly, if it's that wet, what are we doing???

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I think this is a common theme - hikers with rucksacks have the same issues. But honestly, if it's that wet, what are we doing???
Playing golf in the rain most likely 😄

Just get on with it, you’ll soon dry out once indoors.

sunshine

Visit site
That is the main benefit - being able to stick an umbrella up. I can't use an umbrella when I'm carrying, it just doesn't work.

Bag on shoulders, leaves 2 hands free to hold umbrella ;)

I know what you mean though, when I started using a trolley it really came into its own in the rain.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bag on shoulders, leaves 2 hands free to hold umbrella ;)

I know what you mean though, when I started using a trolley it really came into its own in the rain.
I mean when you've got to stop, put the bag down one-handed, do something with the umbrella so it's not going to blow away, while getting your club out at the same time. Too much faff.

YandaB

Visit site
I mean when you've got to stop, put the bag down one-handed, do something with the umbrella so it's not going to blow away, while getting your club out at the same time. Too much faff.
Someone needs to invent an umbrella holder that will work on a stand bag. Covers the player and clubs whilst walking, the clubs whilst on the floor and easy release of the brolly to take with you if necessary. Maybe someone has already done it but Google didn't show anything obvious.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't usually carry over winter so just wondering if a waterproof jackets tend to leak where the carry straps sit across the shoulders?

If they do which waterproofs are better and any to avoid ?

Ta.
Mine doesn't leak that I've noticed when carrying my bag. Sunderland.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another issue with carrying in the rain, is that the water collects between your bag and your back!

Still yet to find the perfect waterproofs, non sweaty, dry, comfy etc. Don’t think they exist.

RichA

Visit site
I'm planning to experiment next time it rains with a light Jack Wolfskin Texapore waterproof jacket over my UA Gore-Tex Paclite waterproof jacket.
When it rains properly I haven't found anything that keeps me dry on a golf course. I used to own a waterproof parka that kept me bone dry through years of outings in torrential rain, but it would be too bulky for golf.
As with shoes, I think the word "golf" cancels out the word "waterproof".