Winter Golf

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
No fairways from Nov 1st at my place or failing that a mat ( which I can’t use ) .Numerous temp tees and greens . Winter golf just isn’t natural at my place . I can hit balls at the driving range and not get soaked into the bargain .

I can’t play in winter either at my course, even one temporary tee is enough to put me off. Granted we are on full greens but forward tees, Huxley mats and fairway mats just doesn’t count as golf for me.

I’ll usually go to a different course offering full real golf couple of times a month. If the clubs were decent I’d join for all year round golf. But sadly one is in a rough area and the other is a pay and play 5 hour round hacker central.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Deja vu - watching the golf from Dubai before heading out to play. No wind today but looks like a fairly constant smirr. Will be a wet one I think.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went down the club yesterday for a drink and chat with those that had played. Out of the 16 regulars only 7 started and 3 walked in. The rain whilst not heavy was persistent with the 18th green notably puddled.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well it wasn't exactly Dubai but we got away with it down at Dunbar and avoided the rain. Was even quite calm for the first few holes but ended up blowing a hoolie. Really I enjoyed it and the course and greens are in good nick for January. I was -2 after ten holes but promptly started dropping shots after we turned into the wind. Finished +4, 76, but still pretty happy with how I'm playing.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well it wasn't exactly Dubai but we got away with it down at Dunbar and avoided the rain. Was even quite calm for the first few holes but ended up blowing a hoolie. Really I enjoyed it and the course and greens are in good nick for January. I was -2 after ten holes but promptly started dropping shots after we turned into the wind. Finished +4, 76, but still pretty happy with how I'm playing.

Nice scoring. I think I may have said hello to you today? I said hello to 2 women teeing off at 6 as we left the 17th green.

One player I watched had a great swing. Blue woolly hat???

Glad you enjoyed the course. Greens are excellent despite how wet it's been.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice scoring. I think I may have said hello to you today? I said hello to 2 women teeing off at 6 as we left the 17th green.

One player I watched had a great swing. Blue woolly hat???

Glad you enjoyed the course. Greens are excellent despite how wet it's been.

Yes, that could have been me. Hit a nice three wood there then a wedge to two feet for a tap in birdie. :D Really enjoyed it down there today, and to think we nearly didn't bother due to the forecast!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
as forecaste here yesterday, was due to play at 9.30 against a mate. Rain due at 12.30/1pm.

Arrived to Sunshine and a bit of breeze, not a sole to be seen, apart from a 3 ball on the first green.

No one around so went off at 9. caught the 3 ball at 4th, got though and a we were away to an all but empty course. some good golf played at times, Greens soo fast. was one down though 9.

won 2/1. hardly a sole on the course, two and a half hour round. we didn't stay for a drink as both had other things on. as soon as i was at the end of the road it lashed it down and did so all the way back to Inverness.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I played on Saturday. Definitely breezy and a bit damp underfoot but it was good to get out.
The hard part is to make the transition from looking out the window at the weather and making it to the other side for the game.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played on Saturday. Definitely breezy and a bit damp underfoot but it was good to get out.
The hard part is to make the transition from looking out the window at the weather and making it to the other side for the game.

We nearly didn't go yesterday but in the end it was probably the best weather I've ever played Dunbar in! :rofl:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Miserable weather on Saturday but I went out to try my new irons. Really should not have bothered, the shorter distances off the tee meant most second shots were hybrids and 3 woods so I think I must have played less than 10 shots with the new sticks. They are very nice though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Rubbish weather on Saturday when out - but lovely yesterday afternoon so had 7 holes with two balls. Bit damp in places and muddy on temporary tracks (where we have roped off areas around greens and tees - moving us to walk in areas away from normal playing areas). Fairways generally firm and dry - and lovely for the time of year. Made me feel grateful for my membership of a club principally built on sandy subsoil.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Rubbish weather on Saturday when out - but lovely yesterday afternoon so had 7 holes with two balls. Bit damp in places and muddy on temporary tracks (where we have roped off areas around greens and tees - moving us to walk in areas away from normal playing areas). Fairways generally firm and dry - and lovely for the time of year. Made me feel grateful for my membership of a club principally built on sandy subsoil.
Do you still get a pond on 16, or has the drainage been improved ?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
200 balls on the range this morning, £15 holy smoke quid!!!

Absolutely knackered after that but hit it fairly solidly with the occasional "blip" but I guess your going to get that.

Dundonald on Thursday, Machrihanish Dunes on Sunday if the weather plays ball.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
200 balls on the range this morning, £15 holy smoke quid!!!

Absolutely knackered after that but hit it fairly solidly with the occasional "blip" but I guess your going to get that.

Dundonald on Thursday, Machrihanish Dunes on Sunday if the weather plays ball.

what do you usually do when planning on Machrihanish?

Rely on the forecaste or just go for it?