How wonderful!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played with the boys this morning dry and no wind to speak of and yesterday was nice too.

so far this year I've only lost one days golf to snow, but its still early yet:(

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No golf today. Very wet, windy and cold plus I dread to think how quickly the course will be saturated again :(

Thankfully, first medal not for another couple of weeks so still time for the weather to pick up! I'm an eternal optimist :)

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Yesss, after what I thought was going to be a weekend without getting out for a round, and with the likelihood of Peebles being shut or on winters again, I've been invited up to play the Dukes course instead tomorrow.

Its a no-contest decision.. St Andrews for this boy tomorrow!

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it worth risking the hard earned handicap to play a medal round in that weather. For what it is worth I have 10 years left and I'm off too. I'm not growing old in this country no way. Spain for me.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Course was really wet today for the mid month stableford but it was open.....blowing a gale as well........played really well for 17 with a blob front 9 but got unlucky on the back 9 with a bad lie and another blob.......only scored 31 but it felt like a lot more.......
People were walking off in droves......
Just as we finished, the rain stopped and the sun came out ..........so all those playing in the afternoon had it relatively easy.....thought I might have got away with a h/c increase as it ought to be reductions only, but if there are some decent scores in the afternoon, then I'll dip out.......

Got a medal tomorrow (Fletcher Trophy for all last years medal winners).......it's forecast rain again.

Playing St George's Hill Wednesday with Snelly, (forecast rain!) :(

Playing Brocket Hall Friday with Fundy (forecast rain!) :(

Where do I sign up for the moving abroad fest? :confused:

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it worth risking the hard earned handicap to play a medal round in that weather. For what it is worth I have 10 years left and I'm off too. I'm not growing old in this country no way. Spain for me.

Cant blame you matey. I used to fancy Spain myself but have visited it recently and I have to say the recession has really hit it hard it had gone noticably downhill from my previous visits and coupled with the fact that the country is in an awful mess financially I have decided against it. Florida or Australia for me out of all the places I have visited. Perth is an awesome place and the Joondalup resort is stunning. On the other side of Aus on the Gold Coast Sanctuary Cove is another cracker

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played 11 soggy holes this morning by the 11th the greens were starting to flood so we came off!

Agreed with the girlfriend last weekend when she said she would be happy to live in Spain in a couple of years time - hopefully just long enough for the world to find its feet again! - She's too much of a family girl to venture as far away as Australia!

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played 11 soggy holes this morning by the 11th the greens were starting to flood so we came off!

Agreed with the girlfriend last weekend when she said she would be happy to live in Spain in a couple of years time - hopefully just long enough for the world to find its feet again! - She's too much of a family girl to venture as far away as Australia!

I know it's a long way away Aus but trust me once you been you will not want to leave. I go out there whenever possible as some old school chums live out there and it gets better and better every time I go back

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know it's a long way away Aus but trust me once you been you will not want to leave. I go out there whenever possible as some old school chums live out there and it gets better and better every time I go back

It's not me you need to convince I'd be on the 1st flight!

Played today with a doctor who's just returned to the UK having lived in Oz for a couple of years said he was working half the time for double the money and can't wait to go back!

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not me you need to convince I'd be on the 1st flight!

Played today with a doctor who's just returned to the UK having lived in Oz for a couple of years said he was working half the time for double the money and can't wait to go back!

I know, the wages they pay out there are silly really especially now the pound has dropped against the Aussie Dollar. I can remember back in the day it was 3 to the dollar it is now 1.5 to the Dollar I think. The hours are a lot less as well as you buddy says. All I will say is the entry requirements a very tough which is why I am studying for a degree as I would not stand a hope in hell otherwise. If you are trained in the healthcare sector then they will literally fly you there as there is a labor shortage. The mining/engineering industry is mega as well. My pal works as an engineer in the Perth mining industry and earns around £90000 at the current exchange rate:eek: The Golf out there is unbelivably good as well better than I imagined it would be

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
either NORTHERN CYPRUS or MORROCO are the best places to spend your money,property is cheaper than most countries the golf is fabulous and cheap and the cost of living reasonable,my sister has a 3 bed apartment on a complex in N.CYPRUS golf course ,spa,tennis courts,3 swimming pools and manicured gardens it cost her £16k brand new 6 years ago and because she has duel nationality she doesn't pay tax on any profit it could make and pays only £100 a year for memberships and maintenance,were in europe could you get that.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know, the wages they pay out there are silly really especially now the pound has dropped against the Aussie Dollar. I can remember back in the day it was 3 to the dollar it is now 1.5 to the Dollar I think. The hours are a lot less as well as you buddy says. All I will say is the entry requirements a very tough which is why I am studying for a degree as I would not stand a hope in hell otherwise. If you are trained in the healthcare sector then they will literally fly you there as there is a labor shortage. The mining/engineering industry is mega as well. My pal works as an engineer in the Perth mining industry and earns around £90000 at the current exchange rate:eek: The Golf out there is unbelivably good as well better than I imagined it would be

Before I made my career change they were crying out for accountants so that's what I decided to study! Still hope to convince her!

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Before I made my career change they were crying out for accountants so that's what I decided to study! Still hope to convince her!

Still need them bud not quite the clamour there was say 5-10 years ago but you stand a good chance, Health sector is the main sector that is being sought after. Must warn you though it gets hot really hot out there, until you go you dont realise just how intense the heat is. When I went to Perth a few years back it topped 100 degree every day for a fortnight

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still need them bud not quite the clamour there was say 5-10 years ago but you stand a good chance, Health sector is the main sector that is being sought after. Must warn you though it gets hot really hot out there, until you go you dont realise just how intense the heat is. When I went to Perth a few years back it topped 100 degree every day for a fortnight

Sounds like a lot of very early morning golf!

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like a lot of very early morning golf!

Certainly is. Perth gets dark early as well regardless of the time of year. Strangest thing I heard was that in the middle of the heatwave they were teeing off at 4am and were completing their rounds by 8am at which time the temperature was in the mid eighties. It got so bad that some of the golf clubs were not letting people tee off after 11am without signing a disclaimer form. Perth gets very windy as well at times so this coupled with the intense heat made it very dangerous to be out playing at that particular time

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Teed off at 11 this morning with the weather trying it's best to hold up even though it had been chucking it down half an hour before we went out. Lots of water on the course from heavy overnight rain but we were not going to be put off and we had a new member coming out for the first time who is also a member at a links course.
To say conditions deteriorated is an understatement! We got through 6 holes without any rain and the wind stayed relatively calm but then a big rain shower came over us, the wind got up to being almost unplayable and water started holding on the greens.
STILL we played on even after picking our balls out of the water in the hole on the 7th!
Finished the front nine with 18 points, no blobs and dry as I had reproofed my wet gear before I went out.
The back nine started in terrible weather which finally started to abate as we reached the 11th tee. By the time we got to the 13th green there was water coming up through the green where ever you walked! The sun even made an appearance for the rest of the round and apart from blobbing the 18th I came in with 39 points.
To play in those conditions and still post a good score plus the cut I had last month I'm hoping to come down a shot with a bit to spare so I don't go straight back up to 19!
I was also using a friends driver as he is away on holiday and I'm waiting to hear back from Nike about mine.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice and cheerful for a 2,000th post :whistle:.

Slime.

I did not even realise that slime but thanks for pointing it out. But shall I start my next set of posts of a positive side rather that the negativity of my my 2000th post?

Post 2001:

Played the medal today, in the wind and the rain with absolutely no run on the fairways, so the course was playing very long. The greens had not been cut or rolled due to how wet they had been, so putting was difficult. When I left he clubhouse at 18:10 only 3 people had shot under their handicap and only another 4 had shot their handicap so a total of 7 players had shot their handicap or below. I am really happy to say that I was in the 3 that shot under their handicap, putting me 3rd in the medal.

maybe the 2000th post was negative, but let me start from the 2001st post with something positive......... :whoo:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am really happy to say that I was in the 3 that shot under their handicap, putting me 3rd in the medal. Maybe the 2000th post was negative, but let me start from the 2001st post with something positive......... :whoo:

Way to go MadAdey, I'm feeling better already.
Oh, and congratulations on a great round :thup:.

Slime.

Bugger. I missed my 1,000th post. Doh!

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Understandable but irritating! Yesterday 11 holes in a steady drizzle and the whole course stayed open all day - today no rain but course closed - I understand how it comes about (it doesn't take a genius) but it ain't half annoying!