winter golf

steve7

Head Pro
Visit site
Evening all,played my first comp(seniors)last week for this year,team game,suprised we finished second.We start stableford 7/8 of handicap next week.I have been told your handicap doesn't change when we go into winter,is this right ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Your HC won't change if the comps are designated non qualifiers

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As Phil said, it depends if your club runs any qualifiers. Mine keeps one a month through the winter. All the rest are NQ

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Evening all,played my first comp(seniors)last week for this year,team game,suprised we finished second.We start stableford 7/8 of handicap next week.I have been told your handicap doesn't change when we go into winter,is this right ?
Making a competition less than full handicap, restricting the number of clubs carried to less than 14, or playing on a significantly shortened course (winter tees or greens) will all render it non-qualifying. Seems to be mainly a Northern England and Scottish thing. We still have qualifiers at our club down South during the Winter, weather permitting.

Last edited:

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Making a competition less than full handicap, restricting the number of clubs carried to less than 14, or playing on a significantly shortened course (winter tees or greens) will all render it non-qualifying. Seems to be mainly a Northern England and Scottish thing. We still have qualifiers at our club down South during the Winter, weather permitting.

The Ladies Section normally run one medal and one stableford per month (with associated alternate day comp at weekend) but for December Jan and Feb, we only have a stableford. Seems a good compromise to drop medals when the weather is at its worst.
I'm amazed at how many clubs have no qualifiers from November to April

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The Ladies Section normally run one medal and one stableford per month (with associated alternate day comp at weekend) but for December Jan and Feb, we only have a stableford. Seems a good compromise to drop medals when the weather is at its worst.
I'm amazed at how many clubs have no qualifiers from November to April

We have the same , atleast one medal one stableford per month from the yellows where CSS is adjusted respectively - we also get a few fun comps such as greensomes, foursomes Texas scrambles and so on.

As Patrick said to me winter golf is swindle golf where side bets get quite profitable

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Will be a non qualifier hence no handicap change but I really don't understand why clubs don't hold comps over the winter. I know some Scottish courses use a mat to play on but if your course is open and playable why not? Even on temps play it and make it a non qualifier. Very strange. Don't forget your fitting for winter tee pegs too

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seems to be a bandits charter to me. Practice hard during the Winter when you can't get a handicap cut, then come out guns blazing for the following season!

You obviously have never experienced a Scottish winter Del, it would be great to play qualifiers all year round, but impossible due to ground conditions. As for your comments above, i don't see any advantages playing from mats onto winter greens. Certainly keeps you swinging, but won't let you 'come out with guns blazing' unfortunatley.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You obviously have never experienced a Scottish winter Del, it would be great to play qualifiers all year round, but impossible due to ground conditions. As for your comments above, i don't see any advantages playing from mats onto winter greens. Certainly keeps you swinging, but won't let you 'come out with guns blazing' unfortunatley.
What about all those quick drying links courses you claim to have up there? :mmm:

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What about all those quick drying links courses you claim to have up there? :mmm:

Still got big waiting lists and large joining fees on the west coast anyway, which takes most of us out the equation and leaves us with parkland golf off soggy fairways, mats and temp greens unfortunately Del.