Winter Golf Mats

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Any recommendations for a decent winter golf mat?

Had a look online and the Spurk mat seems to be getting good reviews but is around £25

Can see cheaper ones on eBay but not sure of the quality as it’s hard to see from the pictures

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You won't be disapointed with the Spurk. I bought one after a recommendation on here and at least three other people I know have purchased one since seeing mine.
If you play much golf on mats £25 is well worth it.

bwstokie

Visit site
Spurk mats are about as good as gets for those cold and muddy months. My course is off mats from mid October until mid March most years and having tried cheap products the Spurk is definitely the best I’ve used.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You won't be disapointed with the Spurk. I bought one after a recommendation on here and at least three other people I know have purchased one since seeing mine.
If you play much golf on mats £25 is well worth it.
Agreed. The Spurk is miles better than any other mat I have tried.

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Spurk mats are about as good as gets for those cold and muddy months. My course is off mats from mid October until mid March most years and having tried cheap products the Spurk is definitely the best I’ve used.

Did you go for the short grass version or the longer grass?

Wasn’t sure how much difference there would be between the two

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
NiceLie are less than half the price and also have a fixing device.

But I still prefer my original Rocket Launcher (now called Masters or divot end).

Last edited:

bwstokie

Visit site
Silly question but does the ball still sit on the mat when on an uneven lie with the short grass version?
Never had a problem personally but the longer grassed one would be better if you’ve got really severe slopes. My course hasn’t really got much in the way of severe lies.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
25 quid for a winter golf mat, pffft.
Lots of lads at ours are using off cuts of artificial grass, presume somebody works in the business.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Another one for spurk here, best investment ive made for winter golf!

I've got the short grass version and have some pretty severe slopes at our place but it rarely comes off. There's a hole in the hard pad which causes a slight indentation on the artificial turf in which yoy can sit your ball a little better. If its really severe I just "even" it out so to speak, ie don't press one edge down as hard.

Mandofred

Visit site
I just use these cheaper ones (I use a purple one), they weigh almost nothing. I use the flat side. You can get them for around £8. I don't have problems with the mat flying around, the people I do see who have problems with them hit really fat shots and then blame the mat. If you hit the ball first, the mat has no effect on your shot.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25483095...oTilBkxPtuQ3z3-m-EEHH8Ga0TxSNSdxoCXhwQAvD_BwE

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Rocket launcher divotend. Goes in the back pocket. If I absolutely must play in such conditions that is the mat of choice. Can be used on all lies.

Mandofred

Visit site
Rocket launcher divotend. Goes in the back pocket. If I absolutely must play in such conditions that is the mat of choice. Can be used on all lies.
I still have a rocket launcher somewhere in a box. They were fine for longer shots, but I occasionally got a little too far under the ball at times with the short irons and popped the ball up (and way short). I was using both mats at one time, but the mgr at my old course got beat by a high handicap player who was using 2 or more different mats (all legal) so he made a rule that you could only use one mat during a round.