Winter Golf Mats

D-S

Visit site
Isn’t the issue in the more northern areas, not that the Greenkeepers are not doing their job, it’s simply that the grass just doesn’t begin growing early enough in Spring for all the divots to repair, irrespective of whether the Greenkeepers have filled them with divot mix or not. By using mats this gets the season off to an earlier start than otherwise.
This is just an assumption as, with the exception of Burnham last winter, I have never heard of any club using winter mats in this part of the world.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
So...this is all about you? Not whether the course would be better off using fairway mats?
Yes it is all about me. The paying customer. Its funny how the belfry and forest of arden don't have a fairway matt rule but come end of April the course is glorious!!! You are being inconvenienced for the entire winter for what nature will repair in two weeks.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
There has been a lot of research down the years by the golf authorities on turf maintenance.
Most of the top courses use mats in winter. I don't think they would do so without evidence.
For each top course you can name that does use them I will name one that doesn't

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Isn’t the issue in the more northern areas, not that the Greenkeepers are not doing their job, it’s simply that the grass just doesn’t begin growing early enough in Spring for all the divots to repair, irrespective of whether the Greenkeepers have filled them with divot mix or not. By using mats this gets the season off to an earlier start than otherwise.
This is just an assumption as, with the exception of Burnham last winter, I have never heard of any club using winter mats in this part of the world.
Gleneagles doesn't use matts. It's pretty clear to me. A paying customer will not stand for using a matt. Somehow the course manages, customers are happy and all is good. So this proves that playing off fairways is achievable for golf courses it's just the willingness or restraint on the green keeping staff. I feel that members clubs (who are the majority of matt rule) have not got customer satisfaction at the top of their agenda because, let's face it..... You paid a joining fee and your not likely to leave are you?
So let's make all these simps play off matts and they aren't going to do anything about it

Mandofred

Visit site
Gleneagles doesn't use matts. It's pretty clear to me. A paying customer will not stand for using a matt. Somehow the course manages, customers are happy and all is good. So this proves that playing off fairways is achievable for golf courses it's just the willingness or restraint on the green keeping staff. I feel that members clubs (who are the majority of matt rule) have not got customer satisfaction at the top of their agenda because, let's face it..... You paid a joining fee and your not likely to leave are you?
So let's make all these simps play off matts and they aren't going to do anything about it
So....one expensive special club doesn't use mats......how many other of the local courses DO use mats? Have you checked?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
So....one expensive special club doesn't use mats......how many other of the local courses DO use mats? Have you checked?
You don't want to play this game because you'll lose. More clubs don't than do. You only have to see past posts on this subject to understand that. I'm from the Midlands and i haven't played a club that requires them. Beau desert requires you to take your ball to the 1st cutt or use a tee. I used Scotland as an example as another poster said its different due to the weather

Mandofred

Visit site
I just left my last club (actually, 2 clubs). I've been a member at 3 different clubs in the last few years......Why wouldn't you move to a club that gives you what you want? You obviously despise mats....you wouldn't move to a club that has them...makes sense. Absolutely hating any other choice just shows why people can't get along...... There is your choice, and all the other wrong choices.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just left my last club (actually, 2 clubs). I've been a member at 3 different clubs in the last few years......Why wouldn't you move to a club that gives you what you want? You obviously despise mats....you wouldn't move to a club that has them...makes sense. Absolutely hating any other choice just shows why people can't get along...... There is your choice, and all the other wrong choices.
I'm not hating your choice. I'm hating matts and the whats behind the rule. Your money your choice.

Mandofred

Visit site
You don't want to play this game because you'll lose. More clubs don't than do. You only have to see past posts on this subject to understand that. I'm from the Midlands and i haven't played a club that requires them. Beau desert requires you to take your ball to the 1st cutt or use a tee. I used Scotland as an example as another poster said its different due to the weather
https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/should-all-clubs-use-fairway-mats-in-winter
https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/should-you-have-to-use-fairway-mat/

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's true, Gleneagles do not use fairway mats, but they will close the course if frosty. Top courses which do use mats include the likes of Carnoustie, St Andrews and Blairgowrie. We do sometimes come across large divots on the fairways but these mostly appear to be in the areas where low handicap players would be playing from so would suggest it is not the average player who is flouting the rules.

Incidentally, it is only in the past couple of years that our courses have been closed because of ice as it was in the club rules that at least one should be playable throughout the year, however Health & Safety have put an end to that.

ksoft5u.jpg

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For each top course you can name that does use them I will name one that doesn't
It's quite possible that different courses have different useages. The St Andrew links courses require them and I'm pretty sure they are experts in agronomy and course maintenance.When I played recently in Ireland I was told that mats were used on a lot of the big courses.
There was a marked improvement in our own fairways after mats became compulsory.
Personally since I invested in a Spurk I find it better to hit off than soggy turf anyway.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Green keepers replace the divots with sand so no repeat work on that part. My course has around 6 green keepers.

As for hitting of matts. I can't find the words to explain what I think about carrying a matt around the golf course with me. I'd rather not play golf or find a course that doesn't impose such stupidity.
It is not stupidity!

Bobthesock

Visit site
It's quite possible that different courses have different useages. The St Andrew links courses require them and I'm pretty sure they are experts in agronomy and course maintenance.When I played recently in Ireland I was told that mats were used on a lot of the big courses.
There was a marked improvement in our own fairways after mats became compulsory.
Personally since I invested in a Spurk I find it better to hit off than soggy turf anyway.
Don't think either Brora or dornoch use mats, both top 100 courses and right at the top of Scotland.
I'm pleased you like your little mat and happy that the fairways are a bit nicer for you in April.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There has been a lot of research down the years by the golf authorities on turf maintenance.
Most of the top courses use mats in winter. I don't think they would do so without evidence.
Anecdotal I know. But we introduced compulsory winter mats about 10 years ago on a parkland course. Even the gainsayers admit the course in spring is significantly better. No one would go back.

Bobthesock

Visit site
I will be using the smallest bit of AstroTurf possible as a mat this year. Should still make a nice divot after the ball. Hopefully this nonsense ends soon and we go back year round proper golf.

Mandofred

Visit site
I will be using the smallest bit of AstroTurf possible as a mat this year. Should still make a nice divot after the ball. Hopefully this nonsense ends soon and we go back year round proper golf.
Does the mat meet the course requirement?...... Doesn't sound like it.