Winter balls?

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I tend to in all but proper comps(all year round), play with cheap and nasty balls, Dunlop, donnay, slazengers, top flites etc. As I have posted before I am amazed how I cant tell the difference either in distance or feel or stopping. Makes losing balls easier!!

In winter the balls tend to stop instantly anyway with irons under 7 iron.

I guess if there is no difference in performance than any ball will do. It surprises me, given your handicap that you appear to get no difference. I could not use my winter ball in summer as it just runs too far on greens. I can definitely see a difference in distance of tees/irons also. Hitting 20/30 balls of some tees on quiet courses (experimenting with balls) and excluding poor strikes the distance balls are consistently grouped approx 10 yards, sometimes more ahead. I tend to only play one or two different balls at any given time as I would fear the unknown performance from an unknown ball would instill doubt standing over it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I guess if there is no difference in performance than any ball will do. It surprises me, given your handicap that you appear to get no difference. I could not use my winter ball in summer as it just runs too far on greens. I can definitely see a difference in distance of tees/irons also. Hitting 20/30 balls of some tees on quiet courses (experimenting with balls) and excluding poor strikes the distance balls are consistently grouped approx 10 yards, sometimes more ahead. I tend to only play one or two different balls at any given time as I would fear the unknown performance from an unknown ball would instill doubt standing over it.

Titleist quote a figure of something like 5 yards difference between all of their balls. I think the 'distance' thing is a bit of a myth to be honest.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I started using the Wilson Staff DX2 last winter and am using the DX3 this winter. I really like them. Prior to that I was using AD333 (regular & Tour) in the winter and the DX2/DX3's have a much softer feel during the cold - I found both the AD333 varieties good but a little hard off the driver face.

Normally use ProV1 during the summer and I might not go back I'm liking the DX3s that much! Be interesting to see how they compare in the warmer months.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Or being cynical that they want all of their balls to sell well

I would have thought they would want the premium balls to sell better as I expect they have much higher mark up on them.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Titleist quote a figure of something like 5 yards difference between all of their balls. I think the 'distance' thing is a bit of a myth to be honest.

I have no issue with anyone claiming less or more distance. I have heard some crazy claims (like +30-40 yards etc - must be stretching the truth). I can only share my own experience. I play a 4 piece ball in summer and 2 piece in winter. 10 yards is a conservative estimate between the 2. It does not matter to me who believes what. I certainly do not find it hard to understand why a decent 2 piece ball would travel further than a 3/4 piece premium ball

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I certainly do not find it hard to understand why a decent 2 piece ball would travel further than a 3/4 piece premium ball

Please try and enlighten those of us who can't see this. Or to put it another way, I do not find it hard to understand how that they can manufacture a 4 piece ball that travels as far as a 2 piece.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Please try and enlighten those of us who can't see this. Or to put it another way, I do not find it hard to understand how that they can manufacture a 4 piece ball that travels as far as a 2 piece

Is this a serious question?....you see i don't think it is. I'm going to take a wild stab and assume you actually know the specific reasons why many people believe/experience/claim that so called distance balls travel further than premium balls. I suspect you believe/experience something different. Feel free to tell me if my assumptions are wide of the mark.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Please try and enlighten those of us who can't see this. Or to put it another way, I do not find it hard to understand how that they can manufacture a 4 piece ball that travels as far as a 2 piece

Is this a serious question?....you see i don't think it is. I'm going to take a wild stab and assume you actually know the specific reasons why many people believe/experience/claim that so called distance balls travel further than premium balls. I suspect you believe/experience something different. Feel free to tell me if my assumptions are wide of the mark.

You are wide of the mark.

I look forward to you explanation as to why the number of layers a ball is constructed from has any direct correlation with the distance the ball will travel.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My normal ball is a ProV1. Over the autumn I've been playing with Titleist Velocity or TruSofts and have been happy with both. Prefer the TruSofts though. Went back to my ProV's last weekend and they were performing admirablily, and felt way nicer for pitching, chipping and putting. Think I'll just be a one ball man for all year.