Wind speed phone app - legal

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Rules recommend 40s but also suggest that to encourage and enforce prompt play, the Committee should adopt a Local Rule setting a Pace of Play Policy.
This Policy may set a maximum time to complete a round, a hole or series of holes and a stroke, and it may set penalties for not following the Policy.
However, regardless of such a LR, a Referee may impose penalties under Rule 5.6a for unreasonably delaying play, either when playing a hole or between two holes.
Thanks. Wasnt aware of the local rule possibility, and have never come across it, not heard of a course that has it. And am not at the level to ever be playing with a referee involved. In general everyone takes as long as they want at my level.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My personal opinion is that we should have no measuring devices at all, including not throwing grass into the wind and not allowing your caddie to pace out the distance from the point he measured yesterday with a laser, or allow anything and everything.
I think once caddies and measuring courses etc was in principle OK, DMDs were going to be hard to outlaw. I would go further on caddies - have posted before on how the idea of them is such an out of date Victorian hangover of a gentleman player and his porter to do the menial work is amazingly out of date. Its continued acceptance as normal is bizarre. Augusta and the white boiler suits is a particularly odd, but quite dixie, variant.

RichA

Visit site
How quickly would you be at working out a2 + b2 = c2 and then the angle
Would you not have to have some sort of chart converting the angle etc to know the extra club?

All within the 40 seconds you are allowed for a shot.
The point I was making is that there's no live measurement involved.
A better player (absolutely not me) who knows exactly what club they need from 170 yards on the flat and also knows exactly the effect on their shot of a 15mph wind would probably also know how much more club they would need for a 60 foot elevation versus a 40 foot elevation. It's not as simple as Pythagoras when gravity and trajectory are involved.

Steven Rules

Visit site
I don't have the ability to make it relevant, I'm just exploring the point, but I'm not talking about measuring relative elevation.
I'm saying that if I'm allowed to use GPS to measure my longitude and latitude and the elevation of those points is a matter of public record then I'm not actually measuring the relative elevation - the elevations are already known.
It is ok to carry a map that shows contours and elevations. The map may be in paper or electronic form.

If the map is showing contours and elevations on the putting green, it must meet certain strict standards. See Clarification 4.3a/1 for more detail.

Regardless of whether elevations are public information, it is not ok not use a distance measuring device or GPS to read slope or changes in elevation. Rule 4.3a(1).

Based on the screenshot you have supplied, I would say this app is not permitted.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
It is ok to carry a map that shows contours and elevations. The map may be in paper or electronic form.

If the map is showing contours and elevations on the putting green, it must meet certain strict standards. See Clarification 4.3a/1 for more detail.

Regardless of whether elevations are public information, it is not ok not use a distance measuring device or GPS to read slope or changes in elevtion. Rule 4.3a(1).

Based on the screenshot you have supplied, I would say this app is not permitted.
It wasn't an app - just the first website that came up from a Google search that tells you the altitude of any point on Earth.

Steven Rules

Visit site
A web browser is an application (i.e.'app'). But we're splitting hairs here where we don't need to because the Rules don't mention 'apps' at all.

The actual term used in the Rules is 'equipment' and Rule 4.3a(1) says you cannot use equipment to measure elevation changes.

This 'system' is not permitted in my opinion.

Jason.H

Visit site
Look at any weather app. It will give you a wind speed and a possible highest ie gust, usually a big difference. Far better just using your own judgement on the course. For me if I guess a 10mph into then I hit an extra club, 20mph 2 club wind ect.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Curious. Can I look at an aviation windsock near my course?

That is actually providing a measure of air speed and direction. And more accurate (within 3 to 20 mph) than any information I can get via my phone.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Yes. You can also look at the tree tops moving and the leaves blowing across the ground.

You can't use powder, a handkerchief, or a ribbon to assess wind direction.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the restriction is actually due to definition of “equipment: anything used, worn or held…” ?

Despite the fact that there are better instruments around the course that allow players to measure airspeed?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
A web browser is an application (i.e.'app'). But we're splitting hairs here where we don't need to because the Rules don't mention 'apps' at all.

The actual term used in the Rules is 'equipment' and Rule 4.3a(1) says you cannot use equipment to measure elevation changes.

This 'system' is not permitted in my opinion.
I am not sure how a map (paper or otherwise) is measuring elevation, but not distance. In my view neither are measuring bit providing publicly available information, which is allowed.

Steven Rules

Visit site
I am unable to add any more than what I have already posted in #24 and #26 but, ultimately, it isn't up to me. If you think you have a sound case then I would suggest you put it to your national association and/or the R&A to see what they think.

salfordlad

Visit site
Curious. Can I look at an aviation windsock near my course?

That is actually providing a measure of air speed and direction. And more accurate (within 3 to 20 mph) than any information I can get via my phone.
Providing it is not in your yard and you erected it for wind measurement assistance when you play.
:)